Computer might got hacked, what to do

noisebomb44
Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

I think part of what you're conjecturing is paranoia - what's likely to have happened is you ran some sort of remote desktop application which briefly gave control of your computer to someone else, who was probably waiting at a desk for someone to open a connection. When that happened they were probably in the middle of typing something else ("what") and took a few seconds to realize they had scored a "hit". From that they scrambled to get whatever sensitive information they could, starting from opening random emails and making a mess.

If this is the case, you should have no problems when you reboot. Just to be safe, I'd unplug your internet connection and see what happens.

While i was bored and responded to scam emails i accidentally clicked one of their links, before i had noticed it got me to a page with a few words on it, i then closed the tab quickly and when i returned the keyboard was typing the word "what" and then just spamming random letters. After a few seconds my mail went crazy and started re-orginize and perhaps delete things. I then closed the tab and did a quick virus scan which resulted in nothing and then unplugged my computer. I reseted my email password, the rest of my passwords are encrypted and i haven't recieved any reset passwords emails, so those are probably safe. Im now asking myself if i dare boot into safemode and do a virus scan and hope its completely removed or if i should just give it to the administrator and tell him to reset the PC. Any ideas on what to do next or how widespread this can be? 

A side note, I believe the reason my email went crazy was because the virus sent emails to their owner with sensitive info from emails in my inbox and then deleted them, any idea what to do about this? I scanned my email for sensitive info on a website,  but couldn't find any so i think im safe

TL:DR

My computer got a virus that can control my keyboard and send mails, my passwords are safe, what should i do next? 

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Drill through hard drive Kerosine the bios chips and then replace the hard drive and bios chips and you should be good you'll have to reinstall the os as well

1 minute ago, Fake Dragonite said:

Maybe he was inspired by this

Yes, its hilarious to have long conversations with nigerian scammers about investments in my basement brewing facility 

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

if you do this again at least be in a VM

Yeah, i did at first but couldn't bother installing it on the new laptop i got

3 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

Drill through hard drive Kerosine the bios chips and then replace the hard drive and bios chips and you should be good you'll have to reinstall the os as well

Can't be that bad though? Don't think im allowed to do that by the system admin

Just nuke your hard drive and reinstall windows. Your laptop should have come with a recovery disk or USB

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

Just now, A Silver said:

Just nuke your hard drive and reinstall windows. Your laptop should have come with a recovery disk or USB

Yeah, i will just give it to the system admin and tell him to do it, don't think im allowed to do it myself. Not sure if wants to replace the bios chip though 

Just now, A Silver said:

it could've been a ring 0 zero day that installed on his bios he has to nuke his Bios chips as well

Just now, Alaradia said:

it could've been a ring 0 zero day that installed on his bios he has to nuke his Bios chips as well

Oh, i did not think of that.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

3 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

I mean, there's not a lot that can really be done if that's what happened though. Most institutions seem to rather keep dangerous hardware around than junk a "perfectly well working machine"

1 minute ago, Fake Dragonite said:

I mean, there's not a lot that can really be done if that's what happened though. Most institutions seem to rather keep dangerous hardware around than junk a "perfectly well working machine"

Yeah stuff can be done you just swap the bios chips or swap the motherboard if their soldered on and also replace the hard drive simultaneously 

Just now, Alaradia said:

Yeah stuff can be done you just swap the bios chips or swap the motherboard if their soldered on and also replace the hard drive simultaneously 

I'm not saying it's physically impossible to be done. It's just common for many places to feel it's not worth the time and energy to worry about, as well as not wanting to get rid of functioning hardware.

I just scanned the link i clicked on, but its not finding any viruses on it? Perhaps its a really sophisticated virus, will try it on a VM when i get home to see how severe it is

scan:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/b3ceb94fa4050ce3793abb56c0635e4609fa03a4a6ba1555416f01873521bad6/analysis/

I think part of what you're conjecturing is paranoia - what's likely to have happened is you ran some sort of remote desktop application which briefly gave control of your computer to someone else, who was probably waiting at a desk for someone to open a connection. When that happened they were probably in the middle of typing something else ("what") and took a few seconds to realize they had scored a "hit". From that they scrambled to get whatever sensitive information they could, starting from opening random emails and making a mess.

If this is the case, you should have no problems when you reboot. Just to be safe, I'd unplug your internet connection and see what happens.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Yeah, that night actually be the case, becuase after closing chrome and unplugging internet acces to do the virus scan nothing suspicious happened. 

Also, my mail saved what he wrote as a draft, this is what he wrote after writing "what" : "INdsafd"

it certainly looks like he mashed a wasd keyboard with both hands, not like something a virus would write

Annother pretty funny thing i just remembered happening was that the language inexplicably changed to english in Gmail, i didn't think much of it because i thought it might be a bug in gmail or something. Thanks for helping me though, im pretty sure it was just someone using remote desktop on me now,  but i think i will nuke it before starting to use it anyway in case he planted a Keylogger or something 

Ill probably try doing it again inside a VM later today, im really interested in what he wanted to do if he got more time, i might also post an update of what happened here for those interested 

10 minutes ago, noisebomb44 said:

Annother pretty funny thing i just remembered happening was that the language inexplicably changed to english in Gmail, i didn't think much of it because i thought it might be a bug in gmail or something. Thanks for helping me though, im pretty sure it was just someone using remote desktop on me now,  but i think i will nuke it before starting to use it anyway in case he planted a Keylogger or something 

Ill probably try doing it again inside a VM later today, im really interested in what he wanted to do if he got more time, i might also post an update of what happened here for those interested 

I'd like to see :)

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

6 hours ago, JackHubbleday said:

snip

(just quoted you to make sure you got a message since you didn't follow this thread)

Ok guys, so I've just setup a clean version of windows, filled my fake account's inbox with "sensitive information" (fake bank account numbers, etc), copied the link I followed earlier today and started recording. I sat back after entering the URL, waiting for someone to take control of my mouse and keyboard, but nothing happened. I then inspected the page and the only content of the page was a header with some text in it. No viruses or malware as far as I could see. But then how did someone take control of my mouse and keyboard? 

I think I know why. When I got my laptop it had TeamViewer (the only connect edition) installed, and it was rumoured that they could take control over your PC and monitor it at all times and that you were not allowed to block it through the firewall (1984 anyone?). I opened glasswire and there were a few non-TeamViewer related clients connected. My theory is that it was just the system admin/manager spooking me out for reading and replying to spam emails because I was actually in the process of writing a mail when someone got access to my PC, they then deleted the text and replaced it with what I mentioned earlier, perhaps they were going to write "what are you doing?" or something before I disconnected it. I'm going to have a long talk with him next Monday

cmd prompt

netstat -b -n -t 3

that will show all network connections ipaddress, exe associated with ip in use and repeat or update every 3 seconds

best way to see if your "hacked"

1 minute ago, bcguru9384 said:

cmd prompt

netstat -b -n -t 3

that will show all network connections ipaddress, exe associated with ip in use and repeat or update every 3 seconds

best way to see if your "hacked"

CurrPorts is much easier to read though and has more features

using netstat combined with tracert how i found yucky person in my old dsl connection

path went

72.dsl to 72.dsl to 184.privatebluefish to 72.dsl to google or microsoft or any other site

both those tools built right into os system

i used webbased ipwhois page check identity