i3 vs fx 6300????

The main question that I need answered, is do you guys think that either of these CPUS will be a bottle neck for a rx 480?

4 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

yes both will depending on the game, i suggest you save up for a i5. 

Not for me actually, but thanks for the heads up 

4 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

The main question that I need answered, is do you guys think that either of these CPUS will be a bottle neck for a rx 480?

Just don't get an FX6300.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

1 minute ago, Doomerson said:

Not for me actually, but thanks for the heads up 

intel core i5-4460 or better...ideally i5-6500/7500 something like that.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

It will vary from one game to another. But yeah generally the RX 480 is a bit more powerful than what these CPUs will (on average) handle.

You could wait a couple months for Zen's quad core CPUs to release. They will likely be priced similarly to i3 but will be 4/4 or 4/8 (cores/threads)... basically i5/i7 for the price of i3. Otherwise the i3 would do you better than the FX-6300 if you need something now. The current i3s are exceptionally fast today (each core is like 70% faster than each FX core), and you can upgrade to a much better CPU without having to change the motherboard. With the FX-6300, there's not really anything worth upgrading to on the same platform.

I'm right now running a reference GTX 970 on a OC'd FX-6300.  The RX 480 isn't that much better than it.  If I'm experiencing a bottleneck I sure as hell can't tell.  Of course though it all depends on what titles you're running and at what resolution.

31 minutes ago, robertpartridge said:

I'm right now running a reference GTX 970 on a OC'd FX-6300.  The RX 480 isn't that much better than it.  If I'm experiencing a bottleneck I sure as hell can't tell.  Of course though it all depends on what titles you're running and at what resolution.

One thing to note is that AMD's video card drivers aren't as low-overhead as Nvidia's, at least in DX11 - so an AMD card will be bottlenecked by CPU sooner than a similarly-performing Nvidia card.