My 9 TB WD Drive?

TechyAlex

Hey LTT Community!

So a while back (~1 year) I was screwing around with a new drive I had purchased. It is a 1TB Western Digital, don't remember if it was blue or black tbh. I was messing around in windows disk manager, and I somehow tricked the drive into displaying as being 9TB. I basically made a new partition, and made it 9TB, expecting it to error because it is only a 1TB drive. 

My first thought was that windows was simply displaying it as 9TB, when it was actually still 1TB. So, I did what any sane person would do and I ran a recording software on my computer at 1080p60fps for a few days, using OBS at like 10,000 bitrate. So as imagined, i filled it up pretty fast. To my insane surprise, I came back and it had recorded 3 terabytes worth of storage. WHAT!?!??!? So I went in and watched it, skipping around like crazy, and it was not even corrupted. It was all visible and working as intended. 

So my next step was to check bios. Bios labeled it as a WD 8.99 TB drive. I was so shocked. 

This all happened before I really ever knew about this forum, and it never really occurred to me to post it anywhere.

What I ask of you, LTT Community, is to test this. I want you to use some dummy drive you have and press every button available in windows disk manager. Why? Because I want to see if this is duplicatable. I want to see if someone can do this again. If you can, please document your results in a reply, as well as steps to do this. Wouldn't it be cool if we could all just buy 100GB Hard Drives and have them have infinite space? 

4 minutes ago, TechyAlex said:

Hey LTT Community!

So a while back (~1 year) I was screwing around with a new drive I had purchased. It is a 1TB Western Digital, don't remember if it was blue or black tbh. I was messing around in windows disk manager, and I somehow tricked the drive into displaying as being 9TB. I basically made a new partition, and made it 9TB, expecting it to error because it is only a 1TB drive. 

My first thought was that windows was simply displaying it as 9TB, when it was actually still 1TB. So, I did what any sane person would do and I ran a recording software on my computer at 1080p60fps for a few days, using OBS at like 10,000 bitrate. So as imagined, i filled it up pretty fast. To my insane surprise, I came back and it had recorded 3 terabytes worth of storage. WHAT!?!??!? So I went in and watched it, skipping around like crazy, and it was not even corrupted. It was all visible and working as intended. 

So my next step was to check bios. Bios labeled it as a WD 8.99 TB drive. I was so shocked. 

This all happened before I really ever knew about this forum, and it never really occurred to me to post it anywhere.

What I ask of you, LTT Community, is to test this. I want you to use some dummy drive you have and press every button available in windows disk manager. Why? Because I want to see if this is duplicatable. I want to see if someone can do this again. If you can, please document your results in a reply, as well as steps to do this. Wouldn't it be cool if we could all just buy 100GB Hard Drives and have them have infinite space? 

It's probably a 3tb drive with the bios being written as 1tb.

Anywaysm how did you do that?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

I'm with @8-Bit Ninja Pics or it didn't happen xD

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

there is a software to see the full size of a drive.....

it is common for storage devices to hold more data than displayed in order to store cache, file recovery etc. also it is not healthy for a hardrive (and ssd) to be completely full.

• 1 month later...