Can the nintendo switch internal memory be upgrade?

2a5

I asking because the memory chip (THGBMHG8C2LBAIL) is removable.

the photo this the Toshiba product page

Screenshot_20170307-215755_1.jpg

I think no because there is a Micro SD slot

9 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I think no because there is a Micro SD slot

Yeah there is really no point if you already have a SD card slot. 

Idk but what's the point if you have a SD card slot. Unless your game saves really take up all the internal storage...

The Nand flash is soldered to the PCB so, no.

Oh, I was thinking of the Samsung RAM not the Toshiba flash, but still why would you replace the Nand flash when you have a Micro SD slot that works perfectly for storing games?

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

Yes it can if you can de-solder the current chip and put your new chip (while it is removable, it is still on a PCB).

The problem is that you need to find a way to copy the firmware/OS from the old chip to the new chip. They are no consumer device for such thing (not helped by the lack of standard in memory chip size, number of pins, pins thickness and pins distance between each other). Someone needs to build this, and I doubt it will sold for $10...

• 8 months later...

This clip from the Ben Heck Show shows that the internal memory is nothing but a separate module with a simple connector which not only requires zero soldering but could easily be upgraded for newer models of a switch with higher internal memory capacity. 

On 3/7/2017 at 6:40 AM, DELTAprime said:

but still why would you replace the Nand flash when you have a Micro SD slot that works perfectly for storing games?

Why upgrade the hard drive in your XBox One or PS4 when you can just use a USB hard drive for games? ;) As we see more of the mainstream, AAA hardcore games come to the Switch, storage will be an issue even with the micro sdxc slot. More storage means less having to juggle installs and/or swapping out cards. More internal storage grants a little more flexibility and convenience.

One of the reasons I'm holding off buying a Switch is because I'm hoping they will release a version with more internal storage.