Anti static work area

immrsam

Hope I'm in the right area, not a big forum person :P

In the next couple of weeks, I should have all the parts to build a pc for the first time. I have researched like crazy and believe it should go ok.

However, I have noticed in a few of Linus' videos that he uses an anti static work mat. Seeing as I don't want to fry my components, what is an anti static work mat? Is it a rubber or foam mat? How important is it and also, are the ones you can purchase necessary or is it possible to construct your own?

Thanks in advance

Hope I'm in the right area, not a big forum person  :P
In the next couple of weeks, I should have all the parts to build a pc for the first time. I have researched like crazy and believe it should go ok.
However, I have noticed in a few of Linus' videos that he uses an anti static work mat. Seeing as I don't want to fry my components, what is an anti static work mat? Is it a rubber or foam mat? How important is it and also, are the ones you can purchase necessary or is it possible to construct your own?
Thanks in advance

Yes, anti-static work area not completely necessary, as long as you ground your self and don't do this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuAMNqMuL7U

you should be fine.

Gaming System: i7 3770k @4.6GHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, 8GB Corsair 1600MHz, 2 x MSI GTX 670 PE, Fractal R4, 256GB Crucial M4, Fractal Newton R3 1000W White

Steam Box: Xeon E3 1280 @ 3.5GHz, Intel S1200KP, 8GB Corsair White LP, 1x EVGA GTX 570, Fractal Node 304 White, 64GB Intel SSD, Fractal Tesla R2 650w White

If you have a wooden table, it will work the same as an antistatic work mat, it is isolating so you won't have any prolems with components being shorted while performing a startup out of the case (to check the components work properly).

AND the crucial part, Touch a radiator or any metal part that is connected to a ground pin to discharge yourself of any static electricity! As @Hans Christian | Teri said a Radiator will work just fine.

Hope this helped,

Greetz.

That French guy who lives in the Netherlands and speaks German.

Thanks for the quick replies.

My table has what looks like a vinyl top, would that be a problem? Either vinyl or fake leather, can't really tell.

Edit: my floor is wood though

Nope Vinyl and fake Leather are plastic based materials which are also isolating.

So no problem there ;)

Greetz.

That French guy who lives in the Netherlands and speaks German.

I can recommend working on a wooden table and touch something metal every now and then to get the charge off you.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Unless you roll around on a carpet before you work, you don't really need an anti static strap. Just touch a metal case or plugged in psu to ground yourself every once in a while. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.