Can't decide on college major: ITM vs ECE

I can't make up my mind on a college major and I think the two most likely ones would be Information Technology Management (basically a 2 year in business combined with 2 year in networking/IT) or electrical/computer engineering. I was previously already enrolled in electrical engineering but I hated all the math and physics I had to do and ended up failing by calc 2 and second physics class. I love the idea of creating computer hardware but I hate all the math and physics and I also enjoy working both at a computer but mostly hands on. I don't want a job where I spend 90% of my day on a computer. 

I'm afraid of just taking the IT route and getting stuck in IT just fixing other peoples problems. I hate dealing with people who don't know what they're talking about and I don't want to live my life being that guy you call when you're office printer stops working. It would give me the hands on job I crave but I fear it would get old really fast. 

Anyone have any suggestions for choosing my major? Especially if you're in either one of those fields I would love to hear your feedback and to hear about what your day to day life in your job is like. 

Start Youtube career

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

Just now, Infernofight said:

I can't make up my mind on a college major and I think the two most likely ones would be Information Technology Management (basically a 2 year in business combined with 2 year in networking/IT) or electrical/computer engineering. I was previously already enrolled in electrical engineering but I hated all the math and physics I had to do and ended up failing by calc 2 and second physics class. I love the idea of creating computer hardware but I hate all the math and physics and I also enjoy working both at a computer but mostly hands on. I don't want a job where I spend 90% of my day on a computer. 

I'm afraid of just taking the IT route and getting stuck in IT just fixing other peoples problems. I hate dealing with people who don't know what they're talking about and I don't want to live my life being that guy you call when you're office printer stops working. It would give me the hands on job I crave but I fear it would get old really fast. 

Anyone have any suggestions for choosing my major? Especially if you're in either one of those fields I would love to hear your feedback and to hear about what your day to day life in your job is like. 

ITM would be my favorite.

You will have the knowledge to build a PC, so you can always keep doing stuff like that.

With ITM you could also grow out onto a job like penetration testing or setting up network for big company's.

Just now, PacketAtlas said:

IT covers a lot more than just fixing peoples problems. 

Exactly, much more choices.

6 minutes ago, Infernofight said:

I don't want a job where I spend 90% of my day on a computer. 

Marine biology

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, Infernofight said:

i personally had to this decision recently and i personally went with itm. it is a hell of alot more then dealing with peoples depending on the route you take a lot of it is more managing servers and networks but it depends on the route your taking 

Well you need math in every day life but nothing higher then high school.

The money is in finance and tax evasion a news report stated the CRA let some rich folks slide and KMPG is still sleeping with the CRA.

20 minutes ago, Zefqon said:

Exactly, much more choices.

I'm currently majoring in IST (Information Sciences and Technologies) It messes with pretty much anything that involves information being sent around, and also a bit more. 

I wouldnt bother with wasting money on an education, just start your own business and dont go into debt with a silly eduacation that will only get you under 50k/yr at best.

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

i personally had to this decision recently and i personally went with itm. it is a hell of alot more then dealing with peoples depending on the route you take a lot of it is more managing servers and networks but it depends on the route your taking 

At the school I'm planning on going to they sort of offer two emphasis, which is in development or network management. I'm not even really sure what the development side is like or what that even means. The idea of setting up servers for businesses kind of sounds fun.    

At the school I'm planning on going to they sort of offer two emphasis, which is in development or network management. I'm not even really sure what the development side is like or what that even means. The idea of setting up servers for businesses kind of sounds fun.    

Development is probably programming

You want practical work don't go university go and get a trade apprenticeship. If you don't like dealing with people's problems that rules out everything except maybe portaloo delivery. people dumb with technology are the ones who want to pay you to do the things they can't because they have more important things to do like doctors and lawyers and such. You don't need a degree for tech support roles anyway, degree is overkill for that

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Trades are in great demand, pick a trade that is not too dirty. Do not choose Automotive or Painting or Drywall or Taping.

Plumbing and Electrician are good. Plumbing requires less math skills the elec.

3 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

Development is probably programming

If I did ECE I think the dream would be working for a company like msi or asus creating motherboards. I've always been fascinated with PCBs but if it involves using a lot of math or physics and sitting at a computer 8 hours a day then I don't know if that's the job for me.

If I got ITM degree I have no idea what kind of job I would want. 

3 minutes ago, yathis said:

I wouldnt bother with wasting money on an education, just start your own business and dont go into debt with a silly eduacation that will only get you under 50k/yr at best.

I can and cannot agree. I decided a degree was no guarantee of employment so I avoided it but then the recession hit and it was go to uni or sit around and do nothing. Your earning potential really depends on your Hussle and the greater economy. I think I got paid more and got more respect from doing blue collar work but I don't think I could do it into old age

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

If I did ECE I think the dream would be working for a company like msi or asus creating motherboards. I've always been fascinated with PCBs but if it involves using a lot of math or physics and sitting at a computer 8 hours a day then I don't know if that's the job for me.

If I got ITM degree I have no idea what kind of job I would want. 

with itm you'll also be sitting at the computer a lot though you may also be building and managing servers though you may have to help or repair other people's computers as well depending on the position you get.  if you get a systems admin job you should only have to deal with the servers and not other people's computer.

Why would you ever sit around and do nothing?

Why dont you mow lawns or shovel snow, or do research on prospects for business idea, or start a franchise.

3 minutes ago, yathis said:

Trades are in great demand, pick a trade that is not too dirty. Do not choose Automotive or Painting or Drywall or Taping.

Plumbing and Electrician are good. Plumbing requires less math skills the elec.

Do Auto electrical. Plumbing and residential electrical are the dirtiest unhealthiest jobs. You have to work with fibre glass and asbestos. Auto sparkies get paid well and will only grow in demand

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Plumbing and Residential Electrical are not the dirtiest nor the unhealthiest jobs.

Only thing with res elect is they want speed, so you are a human robot, but that leads to commercial and industrial elec jobs where you get paid much higher. Dont see how its dirty nor unhealthy at all.

If I didn't go back to university and found a trade I think it would be something aligning with electrical work. One interest I have would be doing fire/security/cctv installation. I just fear that I would hit the ceiling financially and creatively very early on and not have a lot of potential to grow.