How much power can a power brick supply?

Go to solution Solved by Pendragon,

msi has been doing stupid hybrid power since forever. if your power draw exceeds how much ur adapter can draw, it'll drain battery as well. When you hit 0% battery while plugged in all your components will start massively throttling to keep the computer on. there's no harm but it's just a dumb design. It existed with the GT80s as well.

Check if the newer GE series have a higher rated adapter with the same connector, they normally keep these things consistent. Aim for the 230w ones since your power draw is at 200w or so. 

Ok, So my laptop is the MSI GE62 6QF, and it comes with a 150 watt power brick.

I have a unlocked gpu vbios and my core is overclocked +212 mhz, memory +595mhz, and a +75mv, and it's stable.

So my problem is that according to MSI's Dragon gaming center, I am peaking at a 208 watt power draw (Not consistently). It's not draining my battery so all the power is coming from the power brick.

Please note that I have been using the overclock for a while now and there doesn't seem to be an issue, and the power brick doesn't get hot or anything.

Do I have an issue? 

Also for all the fools about to tell me what an idiot I am for overclocking my laptop that much, A) it's stable & B) it's cool (75 degrees celcius) And C) It's my laptop I do what I want.

Capture.PNG

get a higher wattage brick be safe no1 likes fire in there home :D

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

5 minutes ago, CatXice said:

get a higher wattage brick be safe no1 likes fire in there home :D

so..... where the heck do I find one? 

Also....My power brick is quite large as is, so if there's no problem I would rather not, for obvious reasons.

Just now, JiaQi said:

so..... where the heck do I find one? 

Also....My power brick is quite large as is, so if there's no problem I would rather not, for obvious reasons.

whats the brick rated to? and literally fuck knows were u can find 1 ebay?

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

1 minute ago, CatXice said:

whats the brick rated to? and literally fuck knows were u can find 1 ebay?

Well mine is a 150watt one, and the biggest issue of finding a better one is that fact that my laptop is from MSI which doesn't really sell stuff like that, the higher wattage ones are all for different laptops like the MSI Titan , which has a different connector.

Just now, JiaQi said:

Well mine is a 150watt one, and the biggest issue of finding a better one is that fact that my laptop is from MSI which doesn't really sell stuff like that, the higher wattage ones are all for different laptops like the MSI Titan , which has a different connector.

ye well idk how electronically minded u are but u could but a titan brick and then cut the connector off and put yours on only thing is though u would HAVE to change the battery to a titan battary or the battary might (more then likly) blow up 

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

Just now, CatXice said:

ye well idk how electronically minded u are but u could but a titan brick and then cut the connector off and put yours on only thing is though u would HAVE to change the battery to a titan battary or the battary might (more then likly) blow up 

Sorry, I think you're misunderstanding me, I not looking to connect a MSI titan power brick to my GE62, That's downright stupid. 

What I'm saying is that I have no way of getting a higher wattage brick since MSI doesn't manufacture any for my laptop model.

2 minutes ago, JiaQi said:

Sorry, I think you're misunderstanding me, I not looking to connect a MSI titan power brick to my GE62, That's downright stupid. 

What I'm saying is that I have no way of getting a higher wattage brick since MSI doesn't manufacture any for my laptop model.

find 1 on ebay or u could swap yr battary out and get a titan brick there is no reason this wouldnt work 

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

Just now, CatXice said:

find 1 on ebay or u could swap yr battary out and get a titan brick there is no reason this wouldnt work 

Dude there are none other bricks and Titan batteries don't just fit in a ge62, I opened it up and my battery looks nothing like a titan battery, not to mention the titan battery is like twice as big. not to mention titan bricks have a completely different power connector, and at the rate this is going I might as well as buy a Titan 

2 minutes ago, JiaQi said:

Dude there are none other bricks and Titan batteries don't just fit in a ge62, I opened it up and my battery looks nothing like a titan battery, not to mention the titan battery is like twice as big. not to mention titan bricks have a completely different power connector, and at the rate this is going I might as well as buy a Titan 

like i said i dont know if they fit and how good u are with electronics am a sparky so i could change the connetor if it fitted in the case yr only option if titan battary dont fit the case is ebay local pc shops and that amazon maybe?

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

Sorry I kinda got my answer a while ago, 

41 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

A high quality power brick can deal with spikes like that, but it'd be a good idea to get a higher wattage power brick.

And since I don't really think it's a big deal I think the discussion is over.

Thanks for trying to answer my question.

msi has been doing stupid hybrid power since forever. if your power draw exceeds how much ur adapter can draw, it'll drain battery as well. When you hit 0% battery while plugged in all your components will start massively throttling to keep the computer on. there's no harm but it's just a dumb design. It existed with the GT80s as well.

Check if the newer GE series have a higher rated adapter with the same connector, they normally keep these things consistent. Aim for the 230w ones since your power draw is at 200w or so. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

On 3/5/2017 at 10:39 PM, Pendragon said:

Most helpful comment, thanks!