Cannot decide on new card.. need help please :)

danBrown
Go to solution Solved by kinkywink,

I ended up finding a XFX HD 7950 double disapation 3GB for the same price as the R9 270. Should I go for the 7950 instead (since its the same price)?

i would, the 270x or w.e is just a 7870

HI,

first off... I'm a noob so if something in the following sounds silly just know that i'm a noob with computers :) (also I'm incredibly indecisive)

I cannot for the life of me decide if I want to get the R9 270x for $270 or get the R9 280x for $385.

After reading and watching a million reviews I decided that it would be better for me to go with amd instead of nvidia card this time.

I only game at 1080p, that's probably not ever going to change. The games don't necessary have to be on ultra settings just on high-ish settings. I do some video editing and CAD rendering (not too sure how significant it is)

I cannot tell if the extra $100 will be worth it. 

please give me your recommendations :)

I would go with the R9 270X because it is still pretty good at max/high settings: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-r9-270x-r7-260x,3635-9.html

CAD difference also isn't that bad imo: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-r9-270x-r7-260x,3635-15.html

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Not worth it then, the 270X is a pretty beast card. I'd just go for that, and then if you find you DO need the extra performance buy another 270X in the future and then you get even more performance than one 280X.

i7 4700HQ - Gigabyte HM87 - Corsair Vengeance 16GB - GTX 760M - Gigabyte P34G - 256GB mSATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Power Pack - 14" 1080p - Cooling Vents - Built in keyboard - Razer DeathAdder/Trackpad

sorry i forgot to mention that I'll be upgrading from a GTX 460... so I'm assuming that the performance increase with either card will be amazing. (correct me if I'm wrong here:) )

I ended up finding a XFX HD 7950 double disapation 3GB for the same price as the R9 270. Should I go for the 7950 instead (since its the same price)?

i would, the 270x or w.e is just a 7870

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

This might be too late but I'm pretty sure you can find 7970's on eBay for $300. That might be your best bet

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

This might be too late but I'm pretty sure you can find 7970's on eBay for $300. That might be your best bet

Yeah at the shop I bought it from there was a 7970 for $319 but after looking at the reviews again it seemed (to me) that the 7950 was still be better value for money and apparently the xfx DD card is a beast at overclocking... so if I decide to overclock it then it should be fine. 

Eh it's done now and it was under $300 so i'm fine with spending that much (i'm a crazy person when it comes to spending lots of money)

Yeah at the shop I bought it from there was a 7970 for $319 but after looking at the reviews again it seemed (to me) that the 7950 was still be better value for money and apparently the xfx DD card is a beast at overclocking... so if I decide to overclock it then it should be fine. 

Eh it's done now and it was under $300 so i'm fine with spending that much (i'm a crazy person when it comes to spending lots of money)

Yeah your right. The 7970 doesn't have much more value than the 7950 . and you said yourself that you didn't want to do crazy gaming.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

you should be able to overclock the 7950 to beat the 7970

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

Awesome. Thanks fellas. 7950 in the mail. should be here tomorrow :)