Differences between engine coolant's

whats the difference between red and green coolant? I have also heard there is blue and purple engine coolant are they all the same or are are they quite different?

The difference comes from the additives they contain, I see red coolant is more often used on newer engines with more aluminium parts.
I've always been told that the rule of thumb is to NOT MIX red coolant with green/blue coolant as they will gunk up. Other contains propylene glycol and the other ethylene glycol.

Just now, maybethisnamewillwork said:

The difference comes from the additives they contain, I see red coolant is more often used on newer engines with more aluminium parts.
I've always been told that the rule of thumb is to NOT MIX red coolant with green/blue coolant as they will gunk up. Other contains propylene glycol and the other ethylene glycol.

so the differences are just the additives as I have a car from 2003 which uses green coolant and I was looking at a car from 2010 which had red coolant so newer models have red coolant instead of green. Apparently red coolant lasts longer is that true or just a marketing tactic? 

Just now, Hulster_Hulse said:

so the differences are just the additives as I have a car from 2003 which uses green coolant and I was looking at a car from 2010 which had red coolant so newer models have red coolant instead of green. Apparently red coolant lasts longer is that true or just a marketing tactic? 

The color is not always an indicator what type of coolant it is as they can be any color, always check the label to see what kind of properties it has. Just buy from a reputable brand with adequate freezing point required in your climate.

Just now, maybethisnamewillwork said:

The color is not always an indicator what type of coolant it is as they can be any color, always check the label to see what kind of properties it has. Just buy from a reputable brand with adequate freezing point required in your climate.

thanks for your advice I was just curious what the differences actually were.I didn't know that any coolant could be any colour.