windows 7 fresh install problems

ainsey11

I just invested into an ssd for my rig to have my Os on. All of my program files are on my raid 5 array so they are safe.... however I installed windows 7 64 bit and all the correct drivers and I seem to be having loads of issues with it.

1. I cannot use command prompt as it says command has not been recognized (copy, robocopy, diskpart. Etc.)

2. My middle (main) monitor keeps going black every time uac comes up or I double click on an.exe . It even does it spontaneously! (It's fixed thy changing then resetting the screen resolution )

3. Windows desktop manager keeps crashing every time I launch an program....

There is a whole list of problems that only seems to be getting bigger. I have tried re-installing windows and the same errors keep occurring. Event viewer is not showing that anything's going wrong. I'm all out of ideas.

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

Surley windows wouldn't install if it was a bad ssd ?

Break it. Put it back together.Then hope like hell it works. Failing that Use Gaffer Tape.... lots of it. If that doesn't work then either there isn't a problem or you haven't used enough gaffer tape,

I just invested into an ssd for my rig to have my Os on. All of my program files are on my raid 5 array so they are safe.... however I installed windows 7 64 bit and all the correct drivers and I seem to be having loads of issues with it.

1. I cannot use command prompt as it says command has not been recognized (copy, robocopy, diskpart. Etc.)

2. My middle (main) monitor keeps going black every time uac comes up or I double click on an.exe . It even does it spontaneously! (It's fixed thy changing then resetting the screen resolution )

3. Windows desktop manager keeps crashing every time I launch an program....

There is a whole list of problems that only seems to be getting bigger. I have tried re-installing windows and the same errors keep occurring. Event viewer is not showing that anything's going wrong. I'm all out of ideas.

Your raid 5 does contain OS as well?

No just the ssd

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk

Do you have a downloaded copy of windows or a retail cd? If downloaded redownload maybe from Another place probably a bad copy unless it works fine on another pc

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

Its a legit download from Microsoft, I have ordered a new cpu and heatsink so when they arrive I will do yet another rebuild to see if it fixes. Ither than that I can't think what else to do about it....

Windows koala like a boss :)

Redown load them could have a bad section of the file image

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

Redown load them could have a bad section of the file image

Not likely windows wouldn't have completed the install if there was a bad section of the image file....it sounds like a faulty SSD to me. probably on the controller...get a replacement asap.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Surley If it was a faulty ssd then windows wouldn't even boot.....

See everything seems to be fine.....

Capture.png

ssd_performance.png

On the CMD issue, have you used SET at the prompt and looked at the various settings, in particular Path?

You might want to go to a single monitor until the other problems are sorted.

What motherboard and to which SATA port is the drive connected?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

if I run Set I get : COMPUTERNAME=DESKTOP

ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\robert
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\robert\AppData\Local
LOGONSERVER=\\DESKTOP
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;%SystemRoot
2;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Windows
l\v1.0\
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=AMD64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1, AuthenticAMD
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=15
PROCESSOR_REVISION=6b01
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
SESSIONNAME=Console
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\Windows
TEMP=C:\Users\robert\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP=C:\Users\robert\AppData\Local\Temp
USERDOMAIN=desktop
USERNAME=robert
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\robert
windir=C:\Windows
windows_tracing_flags=3
windows_tracing_logfile=C:\BVTBin\Tests\installpackage\csilogfile.log

I am using an asus narra3 mobo with the SSD connected to one of the 4 ports (all go to the same controller)

My three monitors seem to be working fine - apart from the middle one going crazy every now and then. How would only using one help?

I found This :

Check the path variable. I guess some path is missing...

1. Right-click on "My Computer" and click Properties
  2. Click Advanced System Settings in the left column
  3. In System Properties window click the Environment Variables button
  4. In System variables check the variable "Path":

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

(this was set to - C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\ )

then I ran 

set system

dir %SystemRoot%\System32\ipconfig.*
path  %path%;%SystemRoot%\System32
ipconfig

all the commands seem to be back now...

I haven't had the desktop manager crash yet either.... Could this have been the source of all my problems?

update : the middle screen still has  crazy moments.......

. . .

\v1.0\

(this was set to - C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\ )

then I ran 

set system

dir %SystemRoot%\System32\ipconfig.*

path  %path%;%SystemRoot%\System32

ipconfig

all the commands seem to be back now...

I haven't had the desktop manager crash yet either.... Could this have been the source of all my problems?

As far as the CMD commands being missing. It looks likes an installer changed the path and forgot to change it back.

As to the middle monitor issue, have you tried moving it to another port on your gpu?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

No, however I think that issue could be related to a driver fault.I think this because the cd issue was caused by the nvidia graphics driver not correcting the environment variable path... I will try to re install them tonight

Thanks guys

Try installing Windows onto a HDD.  If none of the aforementioned issues occur, it's likely a faulty SSD.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

I am currently re-installing my graphics card drivers - Nvidia released a new one on the 12th so I think that there could be a bug that is causing issues with my build. 

Side note : The commands went awol again when removing my GPU drivers.... Coincident - I think not :/

Re-installed drivers - no prevail.. But I hapened to swap the ports for my screen on my gt 640 and the screen flicker followed that... (it runs through an hdmi to vga converter) - after some reasearch the adapter seems to be drawing too much power from the Graphics card. I think I might have to get an powered adapter as I don't have enough cash for three new screens....