4K Editing Build with Ryzen

Hello all,

I'm new to the LTT forums but have been watching the channel for a few months. I'm a filmmaker and looking to build a new editing PC to handle 4K video as more and more clients are looking for this.

Budget: Under £2000

Aim: 4K video editing and some motion graphics work with Premiere Pro CC

Monitors: Currently one but up to three in the future

Peripherals: Not needed. Will be running Windows 10.

Why am I upgrading?: Current PC is struggling to edit 1080p video and in desperate need of an update

I'm looking at getting the following:

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
  • Motherboard: Asus Prime B350-Plus
  • RAM: 16GB HyperX Savage DDR4 2666MHz (2x8GB)
  • Graphics Card: 8GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
  • Hard Drive 1: 250GB Samsung SSD
  • Hard Drive 2: 4TB WD Black

And of course some RGB lighting.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

4 minutes ago, MrPaulDavidson said:

Hello all,

I'm new to the LTT forums but have been watching the channel for a few months. I'm a filmmaker and looking to build a new editing PC to handle 4K video as more and more clients are looking for this.

Budget: Under £2000

Aim: 4K video editing and some motion graphics work

Monitors: Currently one but up to three in the future

Peripherals: Not needed. Will be running Windows 10.

Why am I upgrading?: Current PC is struggling to edit 1080p video and in desperate need of an update

I'm looking at getting the following:

• RAM: 16GB HyperX Savage DDR4 2666MHz (2x8GB)
  • Graphics Card: 8GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
  • Hard Drive 1: 250GB Samsung SSD
  • Hard Drive 2: 4TB WD Black

And of course some RGB lighting.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

1080ti would be my only addition, will be a bit more than a current 1080

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1080Ti came out today, get that. Ryzen is not released, wait for reviewers to review the product first. 

idk

I would be waiting for reviewer benchmarks for Ryzen as well as motherboard chipset comparison and overclocking potential before making any decisions regarding Ryzen, assorted motherboard as well as cooling apparatus. 

On a side note, I would really consider 32 GB of RAM if you're doing 4K editing (considering you'll probably heavily multitask as well). 

Spoiler

What programs do you use? because GPUs only accelerate certain effects and encoding types in different programs, so if you don't game a 1080 would be overkill depending on application. Should really look up benchmarks for GPU acceleration for your program. other than that wait for Ryzen benchmarks to make your decision (Ryzen does look really good at this point) and possibly look at 32GB if your doing professional 4K work.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

I think you will benefit from an X370 chipset motherboard if you are buying the 1800X CPU.  The X370 lets you overclock, and if you don't want to overclock it's still better due to more power delivery allowing the CPU to boost higher with their fancy XFR thing.  We will see motherboard reviews soon enough, but give it some thought.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I would also recommend more Ram if im not mistaken alot of those programs run faster with more ram in the media creation side of things

16 minutes ago, MrPaulDavidson said:

WAIT FOR BENCHMARKS

16 minutes ago, MrPaulDavidson said:

You will not be able to OC the CPU to its max with this motherboard...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Wait for benchmarks and get a second 4TB drive (RAID 1 or similar). Data loss isn't fun

If you want to wait, then I'd follow the advice of others and get the Ryzen 1800X with an X370 board and a 1080ti.

If you don't want to wait and be able to do all of what you plan, then go i7-6800K with X99 board and a 1080.

Either way, it'll be one hell of a system to do your 4K video editing.  Oh yes.........and 32GB RAM will help as well.  Put it to the wall!

Midnight Rig - CPU: i7-7700K / Cooler: Corsair h100i V2 / Motherboard: AsRock Z270 Taichi / RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 / SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

11 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

1080ti would be my only addition, will be a bit more than a current 1080

Might be a little overkill for only video editing. Think the 1080 will handle editing and a little motion graphics alright.

20 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

1080Ti came out today, get that. Ryzen is not released, wait for reviewers to review the product first. 

Again, think it might be a little overkill. I'll definitely be waiting a few weeks, if not longer, to see about the Ryzen. 

20 minutes ago, Virgule said:

I would be waiting for reviewer benchmarks for Ryzen as well as motherboard chipset comparison and overclocking potential before making any decisions regarding Ryzen, assorted motherboard as well as cooling apparatus. 

On a side note, I would really consider 32 GB of RAM if you're doing 4K editing (considering you'll probably heavily multitask as well). 

Good shout on the RAM. Added 32GB to my list.

13 minutes ago, AdamHolt96 said:

What programs do you use? because GPUs only accelerate certain effects and encoding types in different programs, so if you don't game a 1080 would be overkill depending on application. Should really look up benchmarks for GPU acceleration for your program. other than that wait for Ryzen benchmarks to make your decision (Ryzen does look really good at this point) and possibly look at 32GB if your doing professional 4K work.

I use Premiere Pro CC (2017 release currently). The Adobe website is a little vague for recommended specs, feel it's better to get personal opinions. Upping the RAM to 32GB.

14 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

I think you will benefit from an X370 chipset motherboard if you are buying the 1800X CPU.  The X370 lets you overclock, and if you don't want to overclock it's still better due to more power delivery allowing the CPU to boost higher with their fancy XFR thing.  We will see motherboard reviews soon enough, but give it some thought.

Am I correct in thinking that the Asus Crosshair VI Hero has the X370 chipset? 

16 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

WAIT FOR BENCHMARKS

You will not be able to OC the CPU to its max with this motherboard...

15 minutes ago, SenorDonut said:

Wait for benchmarks and get a second 4TB drive (RAID 1 or similar). Data loss isn't fun

Gonna wait for benchmarks anyway, thanks for your answer. Each client gets their own external hard drive plus a backup of each client goes to Google Drive, Drop Box and my WD MyBookLive. Think I'm sorted in data loss! (Or I hope so).

16 minutes ago, MidnightBanshi said:

If you want to wait, then I'd follow the advice of others and get the Ryzen 1800X with an X370 board and a 1080ti.

If you don't want to wait and be able to do all of what you plan, then go i7-6800K with X99 board and a 1080.

Either way, it'll be one hell of a system to do your 4K video editing.  Oh yes.........and 32GB RAM will help as well.  Put it to the wall!

It's just the price of the i7-6800K that puts me off! I think I'll wait for a few weeks.

17 minutes ago, MrPaulDavidson said:

Yes, but the motherboard that you linked is this.. :P

53 minutes ago, MrPaulDavidson said:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Ok i get your point about the editing, doesnt a faster card help with render times though?

Anyway I came up with this, the over priced 1080 is a place holder for the TI, do you need a 4k monitor also?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  (£466.90 @ Alza) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 280 64.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£93.41 @ CCL Computers) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£154.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  (£199.97 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£84.96 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£108.99 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING Z Video Card  (£720.90 @ Alza) 
Total: £1830.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-02 06:55 GMT+0000

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P