60D? 600D? 650D???? Which one is best price to performance?

Canon's own lenses are usually well-regarded of course.

For 3rd parties, Sigma and Tamron are known good brands, although the cheapo models can be quite a hit or miss.

Also, I got a quick low-light video just now. I'll upload it when I have time for ya!

I guess the Canon ones are the most expensive too :P

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Hey, got two quick very unprofessional looking clips from my a77! Will be uploading them for you in the coming hour.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

Hey, got two quick very unprofessional looking clips from my a77! Will be uploading them for you in the coming hour.

Awesome! Just what I need! Thanks  :)

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Awesome! Just what I need! Thanks  :)

About 40 min to an hour remaining on the upload. Curse my slow network connection!

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

About 40 min to an hour remaining on the upload. Curse my slow network connection!

Oh man D: how big is the file?

Oh man D: how is the file?

Fairly awful and unprofessional looking, about 250MB and 2 minutes each, 1080p @ 25fps straight out the camera.

It's fairly shaky as it's all handheld and I lack the ability to hold my camera nice and stable when shooting video. Until' you get the skill of holding it stable (or simply use an editing software to stabilize it) it should be a non-issue.

The image quality ain't awesome, but that's more due to the aforementioned than bad camera quality. You will notice that as you gain more experience, your videos will also look better!

As for photo examples, you can find my dropbox gallery here. Anything dated after October last year (2012) is shot with the A77, and anything prior to that is with my Nex-5.

Some notable shots done with the A77:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/67mlb0co8jkfkqx/Newyear13-002.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhod027o80vba8s/wPatrik1301-002.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1gh0svfr4byg0q/Molly1211-001.jpg

Fairly awful and unprofessional looking, about 250MB and 2 minutes each, 1080p @ 25fps straight out the camera.

It's fairly shaky as it's all handheld and I lack the ability to hold my camera nice and stable when shooting video. Until' you get the skill of holding it stable (or simply use an editing software to stabilize it) it should be a non-issue.

The image quality ain't awesome, but that's more due to the aforementioned than bad camera quality. You will notice that as you gain more experience, your videos will also look better!

As for photo examples, you can find my dropbox gallery here. Anything dated after October last year (2012) is shot with the A77, and anything prior to that is with my Nex-5.

Some notable shots done with the A77:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/67mlb0co8jkfkqx/Newyear13-002.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhod027o80vba8s/wPatrik1301-002.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1gh0svfr4byg0q/Molly1211-001.jpg

I prefer you giving me some "unprofessional" material, because it will give me a better picture than something that a pro has worked on, you know?

And btw those are brilliant photos!

I prefer you giving me some "unprofessional" material, because it will give me a better picture than something that a pro has worked on, you know?

And btw those are brilliant photos!

I understand and agree entirely.

10 minutes left for the first clip (The second one should be more informative though).

Basically the first clip is using a lens which is equivalent to what an 18-55 will give you, I show what 18 and 55 will look like, the second one is with a 55-200 lens which I use to display the differences between 55, 100, 135 and 200mm. Most importantly I'd say is the 18mm on the first clip (which is the widest) and the 135 example in the second clip as that will show what an 18-135 lens will give you.

EDIT: Here's the first clip!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUmyjNFHL6Y

I understand and agree entirely.

10 minutes left for the first clip (The second one should be more informative though).

Basically the first clip is using a lens which is equivalent to what an 18-55 will give you, I show what 18 and 55 will look like, the second one is with a 55-200 lens which I use to display the differences between 55, 100, 135 and 200mm. Most importantly I'd say is the 18mm on the first clip (which is the widest) and the 135 example in the second clip as that will show what an 18-135 lens will give you.

EDIT: Here's the first clip!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUmyjNFHL6Y

Awesome man! I'll check it out right now!

Edit: I watched the first video, and that looks pretty good! As you mentioned in the video, 18-55 isn't much of a zoom. I guess a lens like that, and a zoom lens going to at least 135 is a must for me. I have an 80-200mm lens for an old Nikon, so if I get an adapter for that I think that would be sufficient. Or do you think 80 is too much for the minimum?

Awesome man! I'll check it out right now!

Edit: I watched the first video, and that looks pretty good! As you mentioned in the video, 18-55 isn't much of a zoom. I guess a lens like that, and a zoom lens going to at least 135 is a must for me. I have an 80-200mm lens for an old Nikon, so if I get an adapter for that I think that would be sufficient. Or do you think 80 is too much for the minimum?

to much, get a 55-250mm 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

to much, get a 55-250mm 

Are you sure? Because I don't have a lot of extra money :D Is it such a gap from a 18-55mm lens to an 80mm lens?

Are you sure? Because I don't have a lot of extra money :D Is it such a gap from a 18-55mm lens to an 80mm lens?

yes, yes there is 

#KilledMyWife 

And here's the second one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB969OzCXKk&

I'd recomment an 18-135 over 18-55 and a 55-200 or 80mm simply because it's a pain to have to switch lenses mid-recording!

I'd recomment an 18-135 over 18-55 and a 55-200 or 80mm simply because it's a pain to have to switch lenses mid-recording!

The amount of quality lossed with a 18-135 is insane at that point the glass is plastic... 

#KilledMyWife 

The amount of quality lossed with a 18-135 is insane at that point the glass is plastic... 

Not really. Note also it's for beginner-level video and not photos.

An 18-135 isn't as bad compared to an 18-200. I dunno about Canon, but I know for a fact that Sony's 18-135 is a beast of an all-around lens.

Thank you so much! Now I know a lot better what I want to get. I'm thinking 18-135/200 is the way to go. Just need to get a good deal. Maybe I will find something on black friday sales, or winter sales.

Thank you so much! Now I know a lot better what I want to get. I'm thinking 18-135/200 is the way to go. Just need to get a good deal. Maybe I will find something on black friday sales, or winter sales.

Lovely, glad to help!

There is some truth in what Chillbil said, the bigger the zoom range (bigger difference between lowest and highest number) the harder to make a good lens that offers high quality throughout the range. Therefore a budget-grade 18-135 will offer better image quality than an 18-200. Individual 18-55 and 55-200 lenses that you switch between should thus offer some better image quality, but the main downside is that you will lose the ability to easily zoom from the widest to furthest. I find myself, for photos, often wanting to switch between my 16-50 and 55-20 because I often switch between closer and further away subjects.

Lovely, glad to help!

There is some truth in what Chillbil said, the bigger the zoom range (bigger difference between lowest and highest number) the harder to make a good lens that offers high quality throughout the range. Therefore a budget-grade 18-135 will offer better image quality than an 18-200. Individual 18-55 and 55-200 lenses that you switch between should thus offer some better image quality, but the main downside is that you will lose the ability to easily zoom from the widest to furthest. I find myself, for photos, often wanting to switch between my 16-50 and 55-20 because I often switch between closer and further away subjects.

Yep, a good wide range lens is what I think I should get. If not for anything else, but the convenience of not having to change lenses :)

Could you also tell your honest opinion on which camera to get? Will a 600D/650D or something in that price range be good enough or maybe are they even overkill for a noob like me, who is only starting out with videography and photography. Main emphasis will be on video though.

Thank you @Timmyfox and @Lil Chillbill

Yep, a good wide range lens is what I think I should get. If not for anything else, but the convenience of not having to change lenses :)

Could you also tell your honest opinion on which camera to get? Will a 600D/650D or something in that price range be good enough or maybe are they even overkill for a noob like me, who is only starting out with videography and photography. Main emphasis will be on video though.

They are fairly similar to my knowledge in terms of video. If you can get the 600D at a significantly lower price I would say go for it. Otherwise the 650D offers some nice additions, although mainly for photos.

I did notice just now a significant video feature however - Full manual controls. This means you can adjust the three exposure variables (Aperture, ISO and Shutter speed) on the fly which may prove very useful for you. It also has a touch screen for video.

Here's a fairly good hands-on video of the 650D:

And one for the 600D:

I personally use a 600d, I shoot weddings with it. Rent some L glass and your good. People seem to buy the 60d and then put the 18-55 on it and wonder why they get worse photos when I am using a "budget" body. 

#KilledMyWife 

to much, get a 55-250mm 

something to keep in mind about those broad range "cheap" lenses is that they may loose quality in the edges 

something to keep in mind about those broad range "cheap" lenses is that they may loose quality in the edges 

a little late to the party arn't you lol :P 

#KilledMyWife 

I personally use a 600d, I shoot weddings with it. Rent some L glass and your good. People seem to buy the 60d and then put the 18-55 on it and wonder why they get worse photos when I am using a "budget" body. 

So to be honest, I don't need anything special? Something in the 500$/350€ range is what I'm after.

E: 500$/350€ for the body that is.

So to be honest, I don't need anything special? Something in the 500$/350€ range is what I'm after.

E: 500$/350€ for the body that is.

its all about the glass man, there are photos taken with a t1i and a $1000 lens that blow away photos taken with the 1dx and shit glass 

#KilledMyWife 

its all about the glass man, there are photos taken with a t1i and a $1000 lens that blow away photos taken with the 1dx and shit glass 

Thanks man. I know what to do now! :)