Game art question

Joelbanks5

How do developers choose the art style for a stylized game? Why is a certain art style chosen? 

What are are the questions developers ask themselves and each other when choosing an art style?

For most games, dev is trying to tell story or fit game into storyline. Its same thinking as behind making movies/TV, books and even music. The easiest way to do it, is to use general associations with colors and drawing styles. Like bright colors make it look happy and child-like. Brown looks old or western style. Dark/black is bad/scary, neon colors is cyberpunk etc. I think second thing is what is easy for their skill set or if they have good artist on board. 8bit style graphics, shell-shading and bit cartoony is easier than realistic or trying to put player to certain mood.

For further things, you might want to watch some documentaries or interviews about visual design or general game design.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

For most games, dev is trying to tell story or fit game into storyline. Its same thinking as behind making movies/TV, books and even music. The easiest way to do it, is to use general associations with colors and drawing styles. Like bright colors make it look happy and child-like. Brown looks old or western style. Dark/black is bad/scary, neon colors is cyberpunk etc. I think second thing is what is easy for their skill set or if they have good artist on board. 8bit style graphics, shell-shading and bit cartoony is easier than realistic or trying to put player to certain mood.

For further things, you might want to watch some documentaries or interviews about visual design or general game design.

Can you point me in the right direction for those documentaries and interviews?

3 hours ago, Joelbanks5 said:

Can you point me in the right direction for those documentaries and interviews?

I can give some. I haven't watched that many about designing process (and I can't find one about making visuals). I've taken art classes at school and as hobby so general principles of how colors work and what artist want to present with art is already clear to me. Games aren't that different.

This is kinda history-based view about graphics in general. But talkers are some of "legendary" developers, and they have good views about using graphics as part of game experience.

Here's short presentation about Superhot. I think (with short glance) that it might bring up some reasons behind making visuals really basic opposed to more realistic graphics.

This might have something too. Thought its more about general perspective (quick glance).

This one is about Alan Wake.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I can give some. I haven't watched that many about designing process (and I can't find one about making visuals). I've taken art classes at school and as hobby so general principles of how colors work and what artist want to present with art is already clear to me. Games aren't that different.

This is kinda history-based view about graphics in general. But talkers are some of "legendary" developers, and they have good views about using graphics as part of game experience.

Here's short presentation about Superhot. I think (with short glance) that it might bring up some reasons behind making visuals really basic opposed to more realistic graphics.

This might have something too. Thought its more about general perspective (quick glance).

This one is about Alan Wake.

Also what about style? Kind of like how life is strange was hand painted or whatever borderlands is.

1 minute ago, Joelbanks5 said:

Also what about style? Kind of like how life is strange was hand painted or whatever borderlands is.

Thats part of what designer want player to feel. Or what they are comfortable working with. But mostly it relates to how player should take games story. Shell-shading brings lighter image than realistic graphics and so on.

Thats about all I can say about this subject. I haven't looked that much into visual designs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thats part of what designer want player to feel. Or what they are comfortable working with. But mostly it relates to how player should take games story. Shell-shading brings lighter image than realistic graphics and so on.

Thats about all I can say about this subject. I haven't looked that much into visual designs.

Where would I go to find out more about the style? Or is that included in the videos you linked?

Just now, Joelbanks5 said:

Where would I go to find out more about the style? Or is that included in the videos you linked?

Best would be if you could ask directly from some (indie) dev on what is their thought process and what they look for when selecting certain art style. I have watched only the first linked video completely. I think they talk some about that. Its not among the questions people usually ask about. Maybe GDC (Game Developer Conference) presentation VODs could be good too. I've read some transcriptions from local gaming magazine and they had complete process of making game. Or series.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv