Switching Motherboard - Imminent system damage?

Go to solution Solved by Dabombinable,
13 minutes ago, insyght said:

Did you still uninstall all the old drivers?

I guess so, otherwise Windows wouldn't go on to search for new ones

I didn't change a thing. Simply turned off the laptop, switched it for the 60GB SSD in my desktop and it was fine. Windows 10 will at the very least install basic drivers if its missing the official ones (which is where you have the ones specific to the new motherboard unpacked and on a USB stick).

Hey all, I got another problem, would you look at that.

Basically, short of thinking, I ordered a H170 Motherboard to replace my old B150 one and to also have more PCI options (mATX ealier, ATX ordered).

Now, after a bit of thinking and reading online, I have discovered that switching a motherboard can damage your system/windows (whatever, I mean software errors) or may force you to clean-install windows, especially when switching form factors and chipsets.

SO

Should I RMA that new MB I am getting or try and upgrade (for the glory of WhatCouldGoWrong, of course)?

CPU Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8Ghz

RAM G.Skill Aegis 2x8GB DDR4-3000

MoBo ASRock Fatality B350-ITX/ac

Graphics Asus Strix GTX 1060 6GB

Storage AData SP550 120GB + 2 Western Digital 1TB

PSU bequiet! Pure Power 10 CM 500W

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor AOC G2260VWQ 21.5"

Peripherals Gigabyte Force K85 + Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Switching motherboards won't damage anything. However, you will most likely need to do a reinstall of Windows as you cannot necessarily take one drive with Windows installed and expect it to boot up perfectly in a completely different system. Double check if your chip is supported by Z170 since you're going a generation down. The manufacturer isn't going to authorize a RMA just because you didn't do your research before buying.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I upgraded twice my mobo since i've been into pc's. First time i've changed chipsets and requierd a windows reinstall. (because it wouldn't boot) this was with AMD.

with my Intel rig i've changed also  the mobo. Just to a ''better'' model, no change in chipset and windows didn't need to reinstall. Windows however was very mad at me for doing so ;) But physical damage? No if you do everthing right that shouldn't happen.

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Switching motherboards won't damage anything. However, you will most likely need to do a reinstall of Windows as you cannot necessarily take one drive with Windows installed and expect it to boot up perfectly in a completely different system. Double check if your chip is supported by Z170 since you're going a generation down. The manufacturer isn't going to authorize a RMA just because you didn't do your research before buying.

Sorry, typo. (Will correct it)

Had a B150 motherboard, H170 is coming. My CPU is a i5 6500, and I will still try and send the new one back, as I don't feel comfortable about it.

CPU Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8Ghz

2 minutes ago, insyght said:

Sorry, typo. (Will correct it)

Had a B150 motherboard, H170 is coming. My CPU is a i5 6500, and I will still try and send the new one back, as I don't feel comfortable about it.

Ah it's a H170. It's up to you. Reinstalling Windows is not hard. For Windows activation, you can always call up Microsoft and say that your old board died or something and they'll activate Windows for you.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

18 minutes ago, insyght said:

Hey all, I got another problem, would you look at that.

Basically, short of thinking, I ordered a H170 Motherboard to replace my old B150 one and to also have more PCI options (mATX ealier, ATX ordered).

Now, after a bit of thinking and reading online, I have discovered that switching a motherboard can damage your system/windows (whatever, I mean software errors) or may force you to clean-install windows, especially when switching form factors and chipsets.

SO

Should I RMA that new MB I am getting or try and upgrade (for the glory of WhatCouldGoWrong, of course)?

Are you running Windows 10? I've found that it handles switching motherboards just fine (Windows 7 can as well-but its hit and miss), with switching between a Z97 Sabertooth MKII and far older P5Q Deluxe having no issues - apart from having to wait a while for the correct drivers to install themselves).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Are you running Windows 10? I've found that it handles switching motherboards just fine (Windows 7 can as well-but its hit and miss), with switching between a Z97 Sabertooth MKII and far older P5Q Deluxe having no issues - apart from having to wait a while for the correct drivers to install themselves).

Windows 10, yes. I was ordering the new board with just the thought of having to go over to ASRocks website and dowloading the new drivers, and installing them via USB transfer if my WLAN-card crashed. But if Win10 can handle that...

Shit I am conflicted :D

nvm, will try, I have a spare Windows Key if everything fails, and all the programs I had are quickly reinstalled

CPU Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8Ghz

Just now, insyght said:

Windows 10, yes. I was ordering the new board with just the thought of having to go over to ASRocks website and dowloading the new drivers, and installing them via USB transfer if my WLAN-card crashed. But if Win10 can handle that...

Shit I am conflicted :D

I've gone as far as taking the 240GB SSD from my laptop (which is based around an old A8 4555M), and installing it in my desktop (based around a 4790K) and everything was fine. And the step you would be taking going from B150 to H170 is far smaller.

PMSL

29 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I've gone as far as taking the 240GB SSD from my laptop (which is based around an old A8 4555M), and installing it in my desktop (based around a 4790K) and everything was fine. And the step you would be taking going from B150 to H170 is far smaller.

CPU Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8Ghz

13 minutes ago, insyght said:

I didn't change a thing. Simply turned off the laptop, switched it for the 60GB SSD in my desktop and it was fine. Windows 10 will at the very least install basic drivers if its missing the official ones (which is where you have the ones specific to the new motherboard unpacked and on a USB stick).

PMSL

On 27.2.2017 at 1:36 AM, Dabombinable said:

Hey, just a little update. I switched the motherboard 10 minutes ago and it booted up with no problems, I didn't even have to wait at all.

No new drivers required. Again, thanks a bunch!

CPU Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8Ghz