PC gaming money hole

samuelohagan

I feel like that sometimes people just mindlessly waste their money on computer parts. I was in this trap, so I upgraded my 7850 to a 7950, and the difference in fps was minimal. Looking back on it, there were so many better uses for the money, from getting a 3d printer, oculus rift, or simple having a buying spree during a steam stale.

I want to know your thoughts, are you guys in the PC gaming trap?

I feel like that sometimes people just mindlessly waste their money on computer parts. I was in this trap, so I upgraded my 7850 to a 7950, and the difference in fps was minimal. Looking back on it, there were so many better uses for the money, from getting a 3d printer, oculus rift, or simple having a buying spree during a steam stale.

i think a 7950 is more practical than a 3d printer or oculus...

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

I am extremely satisfied with the performance of my PC. Granted, I would have done a lot of things differently if I had the knowledge of PC's that I have now.  

I am also 16, I need a car. 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I'm debating about getting a new GPU or not. People are recommending doing a full overhaul, but I don't have a source of money (allowance, anything), so I'm kinda in a dilemma. Thinking about getting a 7750 so I could play games @720p at med-high settings....

It did not really change anything for me, sure I was able to run bf3 on ultra instead of high, but I did not really see that big of a difference.

It did not really change anything for me, sure I was able to run bf3 on ultra instead of high, but I did not really see that big of a difference.

Not to be a dick but that's where you look at reviews and benchmarks and then decide if you should buy it and if it's worth the upgrade. I went from a 7770 to a 7950 and was very satisfied with that purchase. 

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Not to be a dick but that's where you look at reviews and benchmarks and then decide if you should buy it and if it's worth the upgrade. I went from a 7770 to a 7950 and was very satisfied with that purchase. 

true, I probably should have done more research, but I guess like you said, it is all down to how much you enjoy the upgrade.

I wouldn't have upgraded from a 7850 to a 7950. There is, as you said, a not too big FPS difference. If I wasn't satisfied with the 7850 and was constrained in my budget, the best course of action would have been to get another 7850. Making smarter choices would make you feel less like you're throwing money down a hole. It's probably your dissatisfaction with the 7950 that is making you feel this way anyway.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

If you truly enjoy something, its never a waste of money. Thats my philosophy 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

If you truly enjoy something, its never a waste of money. Thats my philosophy

Well my 620 was a waste, then.

Well my 620 was a waste, then.

that philosophy doesnt take into account dumb purchases :D

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

It's never a waste if you use it a lot :)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

I "upgraded" my case 3 times from some garbage RAIDMAX, to a CM Storm, to a Fractal R4. The RAIDMAX was falling apart so I didn't mind that upgrade, but I had no reason to get an R4 other than I thought it was cooler than the Storm, yet I did it anyway. I'm not really happy because that $100 could have been used on an SSD, although I'm confident I'll never buy another case as long as ATX is a standard.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

As long as you do your research before purchasing and don't buy on impulse you'll be ok.

yes but upgrading from another decent midrange VGA within the same generation is not.

How many more fps were you getting when you upgraded to a 7950?

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

Totally destroying me at the moment.

Just got rid of my GTX670 and am going to a GTX780Ti, hopefully 2. Because of this i'm completely redoing my water cooling loop to accommodate the 2 now. Decided to go to Primochill rigid acrylic so sold all my PC fittings and started again. New rads are bigger so new fans. Have to resleeve all my cables again. It's quite mental...

Not really.

I have been saving up some money.

CPU Intel Core i7-3537U @ 3.1GHz  GPU NVIDIA GEFORCE 740M  RAM 4GB DDR3  Storage 500GB 5400 RPM  DISPLAY 1366 x 768 Laptop Display MOBO Laptop MOBO  CASE Laptop Case  PSU Laptop PSU  OS Windows 8.1 x64

I don't believe that such a thing as a "pc gaming money trap" exists.

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

I have other tech friends that gave me shit for going with an RoG board. Half of the features I have yet to use. I haven't even tried overclocking after it started crashing the first time I ventured into it. Did have my 3570k at 4.5ghz though :)

Hey, we all gotta compromise for something, right?

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

I don't believe that such a thing as a "pc gaming money trap" exists.

completely agree, the money trap exist for people who changed very little for a lot.

as op's case from 7850 to 7950 isn't rly a worthwhile purchase is it?

buy what you need and you will accommodate ridiculous amount for the $$$ 

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

I've seen people who are thinking of changing Titan for 780Ti, so yes, I know there are people who does use a lot of money for minor performance improvements. In this sense, it's a waste of money, because you can't actually see the improvement (practical everyday performance, not benchmarking!)

Some might say, I spent too much money for my components but when you know the history, it isn't too foolish anymore. My previous rig was almost six years old. It had Q6600 and 4870x2 inside it. I am planning to use the current setup at least three years. When you divide the amout that was used for purchasing the parts, you actually see that I spent less than many people who upgrade more often.

PC does become a money pit if you try to have the best components all the time. This also means that you pay premium price for minor improvements. If you can afford it, then go ahead. However, in the last couple of years I've seen a trend where pc gamers started having this odd mindset where they need the best components available so they can be taken seriously as a pc gamer and be one of the "cool kids".

For me, pc gaming has always been all about the experience and the great community that comes with it. I don't mind if someone has quad Titans in their rig or just a single 760. For me both are equal and the fact how much you spent towards your rig, doesn't give you any extra credit. The most important thing is that you enjoy being the pc gamer and be part of the great community.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Id say im a tight ass in general with my money. I dont like spending.

Yeah... In December I am going to buy a GTX 760 and in 2014 summer upgrade my case and other stuff. I think thats the last upgrade I am going to do in like 2-3 years (if nothing dosent die suddenly).

Going to start collection for Oculus and apartment stuff.

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

Nope, simply because I don't have the money to spend on my PC now