SOCKET 478 CAP REPLACEMENT

So, I have right beside me, a Pentium 4 and a fried socket 478 motherboard. I noticed the capacitors were leaking electrolyte fluid a few weeks after I got the system from a local school. It's a Northwood Pentium 4 2.4 GHz with a 400 MHz FSB and the motherboard is a... Get ready for this, An intel D845GRG with 2 blown nichicon caps. I want to find some modern replacement caps (Or better yet, a decent motherboard.) for the thing. I was planning on taking a Radeon 9600 Pro from my PowerMac G5 and using it on the AGP slot after changing the GPU BIOS but no... Not going to happen.

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

Edited by Boyborg690
I forgot to add the capacitor image

I have a problem with people. The only things I like are 787Bs and PCs.

Why would you need this kind of a system these days?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Retro gaming. Ever heard of GTA Vice City? San Andreas? Runescape? I want something that brings me back to the early 2000s with Windows XP and all...

Just now, Boyborg690 said:

Retro gaming. Ever heard of GTA Vice City? San Andreas? Runescape? I want something that brings me back to the early 2000s with Windows XP and all...

Oh, I see. I'd just get another P4 system. They're REALLY easy to find, and can often be had for cheap. I certainly would not put money into something that old for something like capacitors. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

For the first comment, Where I live it costs $100 bucks for shipping and the price of just a Pentium 4 chip. Not to mention the motherboards.

For the second comment, Is it really that easy? I was told it could be terrible if I got a cap meant for sound for voltage conversion and crap.

2 minutes ago, Boyborg690 said:

For the first comment, Where I live it costs $100 bucks for shipping and the price of just a Pentium 4 chip. Not to mention the motherboards.

For the second comment, Is it really that easy? I was told it could be terrible if I got a cap meant for sound for voltage conversion and crap.

Well, if you replace them with electrolytic caps, with the same capacitance and the same or higher voltage, it can't really not work.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Well, if you replace them with electrolytic caps, with the same capacitance and the same or higher voltage, it can't really not work.

Thanks. All I need to do now is wait 4 weeks for them to ship...