Mounting things/stuffs to ikea desks

GETxHIPFIREDx

so i purchased 2 ikea desk awhile back at recommendation by one of the post on here way back, but ive run into a problem. i purchased this surge protector and i am having problems getting it to stay secured. If you guys dont know the ikea desk that i have has a cardboard honeycomb inside. i have no clue where to start. thanks for any input. 

p.s. i had no clue where to post this.... so general it is :) 

Spoiler

DSC_8991.jpg

CPU- Intel i9 9900k | Motherboard- ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I | RAM- Kingston HyperX 32GB | GPU- Nvidia 2080ti Reference

Case- NCase v6.1 | Storage- x2 2tb WD m.2  | PSU- Corsair SF750 | Cooling- NZXT Kraken X52

Solid double stick mounting tape should work. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

2 minutes ago, GETxHIPFIREDx said:

so i purchased 2 ikea desk awhile back at recommendation by one of the post on here way back, but ive run into a problem. i purchased this surge protector and i am having problems getting it to stay secured. If you guys dont know the ikea desk that i have has a cardboard honeycomb inside. i have no clue where to start. thanks for any input. 

p.s. i had no clue where to post this.... so general it is :) 

Hide contents

DSC_8991.jpg

If you use short screws the top layer would be thick enough to secure it, however another option you can use some double sided mounting tape.

Just now, bgibbz said:

if you looked at the surge protector, its quite heavy duty. i thought of that,but didnt think that tape could do it

CPU- Intel i9 9900k | Motherboard- ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I | RAM- Kingston HyperX 32GB | GPU- Nvidia 2080ti Reference

Case- NCase v6.1 | Storage- x2 2tb WD m.2  | PSU- Corsair SF750 | Cooling- NZXT Kraken X52

Just now, bgibbz said:

Just now, W-L said:

If you use short screws the top layer would be thick enough to secure it, however another option you can use some double sided mounting tape.

Double sided tape is really that strong? 

1 minute ago, GETxHIPFIREDx said:

More than enough if you use the right stuff, you can also get 3M Dual lock which is basically velcro on steroids if you want it removable. 

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-414-DC-Extreme-Mounting/dp/B009NP1JQC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1487985018&sr=8-7

2 minutes ago, GETxHIPFIREDx said:

Use enough and it is.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

1 minute ago, W-L said:

More than enough if you use the right stuff, you can also get 3M Dual lock which is basically velcro on steroids if you want it removable. 

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-414-DC-Extreme-Mounting/dp/B009NP1JQC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1487985018&sr=8-7

with that extreme tape, if i put it around the perimeter of the surge protector, do you think that it would be a solid "fit". I'm not sure if fit is the right word... would it be wobbly or solid?

Just now, GETxHIPFIREDx said:

with that extreme tape, if i put it around the perimeter of the surge protector, do you think that it would be a solid "fit". I'm not sure if fit is the right word... would it be wobbly or solid?

Two strips at the ends and maybe an extra one in the middle will be more than enough, you don't need much, you'll have trouble removing it more than anything else. You just need to make sure all surfaces are clean and free of dust.

Just now, W-L said:

Two strips at the ends and maybe an extra one in the middle will be more than enough, you don't need much, you'll have trouble removing it more than anything else. You just need to make sure all surfaces are clean and free of dust.

as the deities of smite say VER (YOU ROCK!!)

s-l225.jpg

This or the 3M version of it is more than strong enough (most are usually around 10lbs of support, but they vary). They're usually wrapped in red, but it's a clearish-colored double sided adhesive. I have my power bar mounted with it on the back portion of my desk with about 7 power connectors right now. I only used two strips of it, basically matching where the plugs are.