Should I buy/move on to a Mirrorless ~1000 CAD

So I do photography as a hobby and have been wanting to also go into video. I have a pretty old entry level Canon Eos Rebel T5. It does the job most of the time and I have a few lenses for it (10-18mm, 18-250mm, and 50mm F/1.8). But it's starting to get limited in focus points and ISO and as I mentioned I want to get into video. I know mirrorless are better for video, I just feel that with all the lenses I've invested in it might be a waste to go for mirrorless, at the same time if i buy a new DSLR ~1000 CAD it might be a waste in the future. What do you guys think, should I go for mirrorless and start building my kit for it now or get a DSLR? Planning to purchase these around June/ July. 

8 minutes ago, Confusizzled said:

So I do photography as a hobby and have been wanting to also go into video. I have a pretty old entry level Canon Eos Rebel T5. It does the job most of the time and I have a few lenses for it (10-18mm, 18-250mm, and 50mm F/1.8). But it's starting to get limited in focus points and ISO and as I mentioned I want to get into video. I know mirrorless are better for video, I just feel that with all the lenses I've invested in it might be a waste to go for mirrorless, at the same time if i buy a new DSLR ~1000 CAD it might be a waste in the future. What do you guys think, should I go for mirrorless and start building my kit for it now or get a DSLR? Planning to purchase these around June/ July. 

im not too sure but i beleve if u get a mirrorless camara you can get an adapter that will allow you to use your existing lens with the new camara but im not too big into photography so dont quote me on it

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

It depends what you want really. The lenses you own are not the most expensive which means you won't get that much if you try to sell them. However that also means its easier to move system imo if you haven't invested 1000s already. 

Personally I see a few options:

• Canon 80D
  • Panasonic GH4
  • Panasonic G85
  • Sony A6300

I know both the GH4 and A6300 are at the top of the budget with only a kit lens. But really for Sony the A6300 is whats best for video ,imo, unless you want to stepup to the a7s. 

The GH4 has been loved by so many so I thought it was worth mentioning too. 

Now though, do you own any accesories like a mic and things like that? Because if not the camera list should probsbly look quite a bit different to make room for that. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

7 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

It depends what you want really. The lenses you own are not the most expensive which means you won't get that much if you try to sell them. However that also means its easier to move system imo if you haven't invested 1000s already. 

Personally I see a few options:

• Canon 80D
  • Panasonic GH4
  • Panasonic G85
  • Sony A6300

I know both the GH4 and A6300 are at the top of the budget with only a kit lens. But really for Sony the A6300 is whats best for video ,imo, unless you want to stepup to the a7s. 

The GH4 has been loved by so many so I thought it was worth mentioning too. 

Now though, do you own any accesories like a mic and things like that? Because if not the camera list should probsbly look quite a bit different to make room for that. 

I remember looking at canadian amazon to recommend to someone else on the forum and the a6300 is actually quite a lot more than $1000 in Canadian. 

OP, Is there a reason you want to go to mirrorless? Size or adapting lenses etc? or is it just you believe they do better video? 

Do you need more than FHD recording? will you need it in the near future? 

If the answer is no to all of those questions, go with an 80d. It would allow you to keep using your lenses and kit, has a great in video AF system and is as bulletproof as any Canon dslr. In 5 years, even Canon is bound to offer 4k in their cameras and I dont think 8k will be a thing even then. 

If not however, I'm afraid the best thing is an a6300 and is outside your budget in Canada, especially if you include the cost of replacing your lenses (don't bother adapting those). Just sell them for as much as you can and get the equivalent sonys, with the exception of the 50mm which is too expensive in the Sony system.  

I also like the m5, but at that point, the 80d is more or less the same and cheaper, in that it doesn't shoot 4k either. I would pick it up over an a6x00, but I don't do video and certainly don't need 4k, if that is the case, the m5 is also a good contender if size etc is the reason you want to go mirrorless. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

28 minutes ago, cc143 said:

I remember looking at canadian amazon to recommend to someone else on the forum and the a6300 is actually quite a lot more than $1000 in Canadian. 

OP, Is there a reason you want to go to mirrorless? Size or adapting lenses etc? or is it just you believe they do better video? 

Do you need more than FHD recording? will you need it in the near future? 

If the answer is no to all of those questions, go with an 80d. It would allow you to keep using your lenses and kit, has a great in video AF system and is as bulletproof as any Canon dslr. In 5 years, even Canon is bound to offer 4k in their cameras and I dont think 8k will be a thing even then. 

If not however, I'm afraid the best thing is an a6300 and is outside your budget in Canada, especially if you include the cost of replacing your lenses (don't bother adapting those). Just sell them for as much as you can and get the equivalent sonys, with the exception of the 50mm which is too expensive in the Sony system.  

I also like the m5, but at that point, the 80d is more or less the same and cheaper, in that it doesn't shoot 4k either. I would pick it up over an a6x00, but I don't do video and certainly don't need 4k, if that is the case, the m5 is also a good contender if size etc is the reason you want to go mirrorless. 

I agree with this. Didn't know the A6300 was that expensive in Canada. I'm planning on getting one myself but here they are "just" 900-1000US. (I hope to find a used one but if not I will treat myself a new one when I turn 18 at the end of summer) 

But as you said, the 80D is a great choice if he doesn't wanna move to mirrorless for some special reason as smaller size, EVF and so on. (I donno if the EF-S lenses even will be able to adapt to the M5 and if thats the case I personlly find the A6300 more appealing but thats personal prefference) 

1 hour ago, xQubeZx said:

I agree with this. Didn't know the A6300 was that expensive in Canada. I'm planning on getting one myself but here they are "just" 900-1000US. (I hope to find a used one but if not I will treat myself a new one when I turn 18 at the end of summer) 

But as you said, the 80D is a great choice if he doesn't wanna move to mirrorless for some special reason as smaller size, EVF and so on. (I donno if the EF-S lenses even will be able to adapt to the M5 and if thats the case I personlly find the A6300 more appealing but thats personal prefference) 

I'm 90% sure you can adapt, though I'm too lazy to confirm;P I'm sure that I saw a YouTuber using a 18-135 on it. I don't know, that camera is very appealing to me, more so than the sony equivalents, even though they are said to be better, everyone I heard comment on it who has actually used it also has a similar opinion, I guess its a dont realise till you actually use it thing.

Thank god its not FF, I'd be selling kidneys;P

Go a7ii instead man;P the FF sensor is worth it!  

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

1 hour ago, cc143 said:

I'm 90% sure you can adapt, though I'm too lazy to confirm;P I'm sure that I saw a YouTuber using a 18-135 on it. I don't know, that camera is very appealing to me, more so than the sony equivalents, even though they are said to be better, everyone I heard comment on it who has actually used it also has a similar opinion, I guess its a dont realise till you actually use it thing.

Thank god its not FF, I'd be selling kidneys;P

Go a7ii instead man;P the FF sensor is worth it!  

Haven't had the chance to play around with the M5 yet but it seems more DSLR like but I'm moving from mirrorless so thats probably why I don't feel the same appeal, except for adapting EF glass with a cheap adapter haha. 

Have thought of a A7ii but its like 300-500us more and the lenses are sadly much more expensive. Also the very good AF in the A6300 is very appealing as I do some action stuff. Also find the A6300 video features nice as I'm interested in more serious filmmaking this year. (S-log, 120fps 1080, 4K and so on). But stills is still my main thing and all people say the stills out of the A6300 is amazing. I've only played with the a6000 but I liked that one, except for the cheaper feeling body that is said to be addressed in the a6300. Also own aps-c e mount lenses so thats a reason too.