Capturing PC 144hz issues

GETxHIPFIREDx

So im having an issue with capturing my main pc's display @ 144hz it seems, but before i explain the problem i will type out my specs/setup to hopefully make it make more sense.

Main PC - i7 6700k, 16gb ddr4 kingston hyperx, Corsair 750w plat, 1tb samsung ssd, reference 980. 

Streaming PC - i7 4770 8gb ddr3, corsair 750w plat, 500gb wd ssd, elgato HD60 pro capture card

(i think that is all that could be relevant)

I have my main monitor set to displayport and it duplicates to the hdmi witch is what goes between the two computers. Whenever i try to capture the game i am playing while fullscreen @ 144hz the capture video is flickering and glitching, but my main screen in fine. My first thought is it cant capture 144hz, but my desktop is set to display 144hz and doesnt flicker at all. also when i play games in borderless or windowed they dont flcker, but dont go above 60fps as if it is at 60hz.... i have checked to make sure, it is still set at 144hz

thanks in advance 

CPU- Intel i9 9900k | Motherboard- ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I | RAM- Kingston HyperX 32GB | GPU- Nvidia 2080ti Reference

Case- NCase v6.1 | Storage- x2 2tb WD m.2  | PSU- Corsair SF750 | Cooling- NZXT Kraken X52

Your capture device is only good for up to 60 FPS. Since 144Hz isn't a clean multiple of 60, I would imagine that at points when the capture device is trying to get a frame, it sees part of a frame or glitches out. Setting the refresh rate to 120Hz should give you a high refresh rate and video that isn't glitchy. If all else fails, you need to run your applications at 60Hz.

tl;dr, don't expect a device that has a 60Hz sampling rate to cleanly capture a 144Hz source.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Your capture device is only good for up to 60 FPS. Since 144Hz isn't a clean multiple of 60, I would imagine that at points when the capture device is trying to get a frame, it sees part of a frame or glitches out. I would imagine setting the refresh rate to 120Hz should give you a high refresh rate and video that isn't glitchy. If all else fails, you need to run your applications at 60Hz.

tl;dr, don't expect a device that has a 60Hz sampling rate to cleanly capture a 144Hz source.

can you think of anyway to get around this, play games at 144hz, but capture at 60. im open to anything including purchasing new hardware. 

thanks for your time

CPU- Intel i9 9900k | Motherboard- ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I | RAM- Kingston HyperX 32GB | GPU- Nvidia 2080ti Reference

Case- NCase v6.1 | Storage- x2 2tb WD m.2  | PSU- Corsair SF750 | Cooling- NZXT Kraken X52

1 minute ago, GETxHIPFIREDx said:

can you think of anyway to get around this, play games at 144hz, but capture at 60. im open to anything including purchasing new hardware. 

thanks for your time

Unless you can find a capture device that can record at 144Hz or its factors (72, 36, 18, 9, etc), you're not going to capture 144Hz cleanly.

1 minute ago, GETxHIPFIREDx said:

thanks for your time

the only way i know of to get around this, is (if your display supports it) to run your main display at 120Hz, and have your capture device capture every other frame.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the only way i know of to get around this, is (if your display supports it) to run your main display at 120Hz, and have your capture device capture every other frame.

ill see if i can give this a shot

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

i can seem to find any way to set the card to set half framerate. my monitor can run 120hz

• 2 months later...
On 2/23/2017 at 4:54 PM, GETxHIPFIREDx said:

i can seem to find any way to set the card to set half framerate. my monitor can run 120hz

Sorry to bring up an old post.

I found this incase your still looking: