I wanted one final advice on what to do regarding the RGB Keyboard.

VerticalDiscussions

Hey there everyone. Im having trouble choosing a proper mechanical RGB keyboard as of now, due to shipping, import and availability barriers.

After a topic i created some time ago and based on the commentaries, the more solid keyboard from a quality standpoint, was the Coolermaster MasterKeys Pro L RGB.

Problem is the local store can only get those in White LEDs and trough Amazon.com, even the discounted RGB Cherry MX Blue variant costs 200€ with 80€ of import fees and transport. In fact, most keyboards i had intentions of ordering will take too long with normal shipping and after having asked Amazon for some assistance, the best they would be able to provide is a 20$ gift card. As you might have guessed, thats too low and makes the purchase not worth it.

The only keyboard the store can order from currently is the "BlackWidow Chroma V2", no switches specified yet with a PT layout which seems nice and for 192€, only 3€ in transportation. On the other hand, people tell me that Razer products QC is terrible and i should never buy anything from them.

I need an RGB keyboard, because i have an RGB mouse and mousepad and if i were not to get an RGB keyboard, i wouldnt have gotten the mousepad in the 1st place. Ordering trough Amazon is pretty much out of question at this point and the local store cant get either the K70 RGB Rapidfire or the MasterKeys Pro L RGB (MX Blues, etc).

They do have the MasterKeys Pro L White LEDs and the BlackWidow Chroma V2 (presumably green switches which is the most "common" around here). On one side i have a keyboard that i will have to order the wrist rest separately at this point and with no RGB, but with solid design, no niche extra keys and at 145€. The Razer variant has RGB, an included wrist rest, a multitude of functions but a really poor reliability in terms of build quality, longevity and support.

What should i do guys, and yes Amazon is out of question? Thanks.

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, Jacob Canale said:

-snip-

Alright thanks for the input. I understand there are usually lots of problem with theyr products and that they are a small company focused on gaming, but im surprised people hate them as much as Apple. I have never used theyr products, i cannot say what is awful and what isnt, but most would agree it literally sucks. I would appreciate further posts from more users before making my decision, if they do so in the 1st place :p.

Groomlake Authority

Razer has good design but poor QC.  If you want to buy Razer, buy from a local retail shop with good customer service.  I would also consider buying the retail extended warranty, if it's not too expensive.  That way if anything goes wrong, all you have to do is take it to the store for instant exchange.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

-snip-

The local retail shop has been almost always trustworthy so far. The only thing i have heard in the past is a product issurance, i was never questioned regarding extended warranty periods. I presume that would be expensive given the place where i live, if they even offer such services. When problems occured, they were mostly able to deal with the issue that is. 

There was one incident tough with an old 30€ keyboard of replacement before this one, where the spacebar had a problem, the warranty didnt pick that up and i talked to one of theyr suppliers. They were somehwat angry but i told them theyr place later on. Ill ask them what happens if i open the box home and the keyboard is broken before purchase to know what to do .-.

Groomlake Authority

Razer is good if that's the only thing available. Don't see why everyone complains about razer keyboards since they are pretty good and are on par with other mechanical keyboards. imo if you can find one Corsair has some of the best cuztomization for rgb

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

4 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

-snip-

Well it would make sense that not every single person on earth to receive a deffective keyboard from the company, hopefully. The only Corsair keyboards they have are the Strafe RGB and the K70 Lux RGB, but i was really into the K70 Rapidfire. On the other hand, im to prefer Cherry MX Blue switches or similar to those, which is what Razer Green should be i guess.

Groomlake Authority

Just want to chime in on my experience with Razer, many complained about the keyboard I got (razer lycosa) but I didn't have physical issues with, although it did change my keyboard leyout from time to time for some reason (after I swapped keyboards it never happened again), and so I bought a mouse as well, but that was just a heap of issues and I deeply regret buying just from the fact that it was expensive and the software would derp out on me, suddenly stop working because it had no good way of indicating that the battery was about to die. Would often not work upon computer booting for unknown reasons, had to reboot, turn mouse on off and even then it would just not work at times.

Personally, I've swapped to corsair keyboard and mouse, and I'm much happier now. However like I said the keyboard was good, and your milage may vary, in the end RGB is just lights man.

11 minutes ago, Sack said:

-snip-

Thanks for the headsup. Well i did say that i currently have a Corsair M65 Pro RGB and a Corsair MM800 Polaris RGB mousepad, so i dont think it would make sense to have a static light Keyboard with everything else being RGB. The store did not have the K70 RGB Rapidfire that i initially wanted to aquire, therefore i had to look for other options. Amazon has any keyboard i could want, but the shipping and import fee is too high and theyr offered discount is minimal.

On the other hand, i became more interested on switches with sound and tactile feel, which is what MX Blues, Browns, Razer Greens and Gateron Blues, etc., seem to offer. I didnt want the Strafe RGB because it had inferior features to the K70 lineup (including build quality). I think they could have the K70 Lux RGB Blues, but even then im not sure anymore :p.

Groomlake Authority

17 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Thanks for the headsup. Well i did say that i currently have a Corsair M65 Pro RGB and a Corsair MM800 Polaris RGB mousepad, so i dont think it would make sense to have a static light Keyboard with everything else being RGB. The store did not have the K70 RGB Rapidfire that i initially wanted to aquire, therefore i had to look for other options. Amazon has any keyboard i could want, but the shipping and import fee is too high and theyr offered discount is minimal.

On the other hand, i became more interested on switches with sound and tactile feel, which is what MX Blues, Browns, Razer Greens and Gateron Blues, etc., seem to offer. I didnt want the Strafe RGB because it had inferior features to the K70 lineup (including build quality). I think they could have the K70 Lux RGB Blues, but even then im not sure anymore :p.

I probably wouldn't have swapped keyboard if it wasn't for the fact that I wanted a shorter one, and I chose the K65 with red switches. I'm not a very "broad man" so swapping from a full size to a ten key less board has really helped with reducing different kinds of pains from shoulders and elbows. The fact that I've never got any of the the pains I usually got from extended gaming sessions from my new board has convinced that this is also a very important factor, swapping to red switches also helped with the carpal tunnel syndrome I got from time to time (I was using a rubber dome keyboard that was starting to show it's age).