Another RAID 1 Question

Mines_Skyline

Hey guys,

My case is very similar to this one: http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/storage-solutions/116786-raid-1-questions

The difference is I would like to create a RAID 1 array for 2 Solid State Drives with the operating system on it.

Here are the relevant specs:

Motherboard: Rampage IV Extreme

Drives: 2x Corsair Force 3 120GB

Currently, I only have 1 drive and it just failed. I will be shipping my drive back to Corsair soon for RMA and hopefully get a functioning drive from them in a few days. I did not have any backup of it, and I am not sure if I need any as all my important data is on my mechanical storage drive and the cloud. However, right now I am without a desktop computer as the OS was on that drive. This is where RAID 1 comes in.

Here are my questions:

1. Since I cannot find the same drive for sale anymore, will my RAID array work if I purchase another 120GB SSD? Perhaps another Corsair 120GB drive. The manual says the size of the RAID array will be the size of the smallest drive which implies different sizes are allowed. But it does not specify if it has to be by the same manufacturer or the same speed.

2. Once my array is functional, say one of the drives fails again. This time, I have a second drive with the exact same data. So can I simply “turn off†RAID from my BIOS and boot Windows from my functioning drive while my failed drive is out for RMA?

3. The motherboard manual talks about creating a “RAID driver disk†for use while INSTALLING Windows in a RAID set up. But what if I want to install Windows on one drive first and get everything running, THEN pop in the second drive in and initiate RAID from there? Will it work or do I have to have the RAID working before OS is installed?

Please let me know if you need any more information. I look forward to your help.

PC Specs

Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 32GB (8x4GB) | MSI GTX 980 +200MHz +200MHz | Corsair HX1050i PSU

Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Western Digital 2TB Green HDD | Corsair Carbide 500R Midtower | Random DVD Burner | Corsair H100 for CPU

1 - You can mix SSD and mechanical, as long as their are SATA or different manufactuers, different sizes, etc. All the raid will care about is another disk, on the SATA channel, that is at least as big as the drive already there. So you could mix and match speeds, sizes and manufacturers, etc. Just the RAID array will be the size of the smallest drive and run at the speed of the slowest.

2 - basically boot into BIOS, turn it from RAID to IDE and you should be able to boot into Windows. But, with a RAID 1 array and a failed drive, system should still be able to boot into windows, juts be in a degraded state.

3 - Yes, just make sure the BIOS is in RAID mode, install windows. Then, install the RAID management software in Windows. Most mobos on intel chipset, this is Intel Matrix or Storage manage. Add second drive to system. Load into management software, create new array. PAY Attention, when creating it that it use the porper source drive, the initial one, to copy the data from. Everything should be fine.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Okay I understand. Thank you for your help. I will see what I can do with this.

PC Specs

Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 32GB (8x4GB) | MSI GTX 980 +200MHz +200MHz | Corsair HX1050i PSU

Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Western Digital 2TB Green HDD | Corsair Carbide 500R Midtower | Random DVD Burner | Corsair H100 for CPU

Hey that's my thread! Haha I, glad I found this actually as it answered some of my questions more clearly :) and I learnt that you can mix drive sizes. Sweet! I was worried about that :)

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.