Ivy Bridge in gaming: The importance of L3 cache, multiple cores, CPU clock speed and RAM speed

Hello!

My first post here, and it is quite a doozy.

Battlefield 4 included, many games benefit from faster RAM in noticeable framerate improvements, or simply, faster load times, less noticeable stutters or framerate drops.
Actual benefit for framerate can probably only be observed under a certain condition, which is what some people didn't take into account, thus didn't see a difference in their FPS.

Please read the whole article on OCN:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1441211

Comments are more than welcome.

Thanks for posting this article! I will definitly keep it in mind when shopping for new parts.

It was also briefly covered in one of the wan-shows of october (with the guy from Corsair), if I recall corectly, in which he said that after the release of Battlefield 4 there would be new tests because some sources claimed that it would be one of the first games that would benefit from faster ram.

Linus regrets that video he says he's going to an update.

But you wouldn't know since you don't watch the WAN Show!

I do watch the WAN show.

BF4 is an exception. linus even talked about it once. maybe in  a WAN show

I know BF4 is an exception. But BF4 wasn't benchmarked on here http://www.overclock.net/t/1441211/ivy-bridge-in-gaming-the-importance-of-l3-cache-multiple-cores-cpu-clock-speed-and-ram-speed

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

I do watch the WAN show.

I was presuming that you don't watch it because he went over that BF4 is an exception like you said when Corsair George was the guest.

:)

I do watch the WAN show.

I know BF4 is an exception. But BF4 wasn't benchmarked on here http://www.overclock.net/t/1441211/ivy-bridge-in-gaming-the-importance-of-l3-cache-multiple-cores-cpu-clock-speed-and-ram-speed

the OP quoted a post talking about bf4.

the original article where they found ram speeds making a difference was bf4 so this article is showing other games based on that original discovery

You're saying that higher speed memory is very beneficial? I don't believe that shit. Linus has covered it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWgzA2C61z4

I already covered the importance of eliminating GPU bottlenecks.

Far Cry 3 or Metro: Last Light at the highest settings with a 660ti? If you'd read the article, it shows this exact same situation when driving a GPU to it's limits.

the OP quoted a post talking about bf4.

the original article where they found ram speeds making a difference was bf4 so this article is showing other games based on that original discovery

Exactly, and I would test BF4 as well, if I'd have it.

Thanks for the comments.

im sry, if anything, i notice inconsistency. Most of the tests seem to fall under the margin of error. 

When games start to use cpu, we will see the ram speed improvements. On applications like winrar, the gain is incredible.

Maybe with mantle...

DDR3 2400Mhz and onwards.

And CAS 13 by then probably....

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

im sry, if anything, i notice inconsistency. Most of the tests seem to fall under the margin of error. 

When games start to use cpu, we will see the ram speed improvements. On applications like winrar, the gain is incredible.

Maybe with mantle...

Could you be a bit more specific?

All of the benchmarks on each setting were ran several times as similarly as possible, with actual gameplay (The way Slick/LTT does it) besides Metro: Last Light which used a same section of the canned benchmark, as I was unable to launch the actual game with Fraps on.

Maybe with mantle...

Perhaps, but the problem is that there isn't any data about mantle because it isn't ready yet.

And CAS 13 by then probably....

I was always wondering, what would be better. A lower CL number or a higher... 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900