Audio Cable extension question

JMJenkins

I want to put my PC in another room but still use 3.5mm audio cables, would it be better to use a singular 10m 3.5mm male to female cable to connect to my headphones male jack or go with 5x 2m which are cheaper?

Are there any issues with having multiple extensions rather than a single cable?

the signal might degrade a bit at the connection points, but I dont know if itll be noticable.

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

The chances of signal degradation is probably going to be higher with multiple extensions. I'd go for a single 10m rather than 5x 2m. 

Yeah and no.

The lower your resistance is, the better the quality will be. The more connections there are, the higher the resistance. So putting it very crudely a single cable is better. So yeah. 

Then again, the devices today are quite high quality and five or ten meters and one or two connections is nothing they can't handle. If this is a fully operational computer from this decade and the headset mainstream quality (not super high or low), you won't be able to tell the difference. So in that sense, no it doesn't matter. 

A cheaper cable could be assumed to be more prone to pick up interference from entirely external sources though but it's not like high price alone makes a cable immune to it. Technically nothing does. 

If I were you, I'd get the longer cable just so I'd have a long cable for other projects later on. You can always cut it if need be.

from someone that has his headphones on a 10m extension as we speak, it's within acceptable margins *AS LONG AS YOU GET A NICE THICK CABLE*

if you have the tools and skill to do so, i'd rather suggest you get some flexible 2.5mm² power cord, and solder that to connectors, you can pretty much take that around your house and still be fine resistance wise, as for interefence, the thicker insulation on those is a pretty big bonus actually. (once again, from experience/experimenting)

Go with the single because be annoying seeing the connection in the corner or if its out of the way and it comes loose could be hard to connect back together.

if you are using cheap ass logitech speakers that cost as much as the 10m cable, you won't hear any difference. And paying more for cables than the sound system isn't the right way. But otherwise it would be the overall better solution to buy a long cable