Define R4 included fans (R2 140mm): Quiet or silent ?

Crowcore

Greetings,

Can an owner of this case tell me, if the included fans are quiet, or even silent like the Silent Wings 2 by Be Quiet ?

(I'm planning to buy a second one for the front intake and the 140mm fan by Fractal Design costs 5€ less.)

Thanks.

They are pretty quiet, I own an R4 and it runs the same fans. However no idea on the Silent Wings 2.

I did switch out my R2/R4 fans for some Cougar HDB 140mm, But they cost more.

almost all fans that come with case these days are pretty quiet but i would get some new one if i were you

The Silent Wings 2 140mm at 12V 1000 rpm are literally inaudible. That's what I'm going for. So the included R2s 140mm are not silent, just " pretty quiet" ?

I would say that the fans on my R4 are very quiet, and if you use the included fan controller to under volt them they can be silent. I do some low end audio recording and have actually done this. I would think it also depends on if you have removed any of the sound dampening to install other components.

Very quiet, you can run them at 12 volts no problem. Noise about the same as Corsair Air Series 120mm AF & SP quiet edition fans.

i have an r4 with r2 fans in the front and 1 in the back, i use the fan controller that comes with the case. the fans on 5v i would say is silent, at 7v they are quiet and at 12v its not quiet. the r4 is a pretty roomy case and if you have a after market cpu cooler and a good cooler on your gpu then you should be fine to run your fans at 5v

The thing is I'm counting on the front & rear 140mm R2s to passively cool my Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme heatsink, so undervolting isn't an option. Everyone seems to agree that the R2 are quiet at 12V, without being silent (hopefully "quiet" will be good enough, but my expectations are pretty high) . Now I know that I will probably buy aftermarket fans like the Silent Wings 2, that don't need undervolting to remain silent. Of course I won't remove any of the sound dampening material on top and on the side. Thanks for your input guys!

I don't think you would be satisfied with the stock fans at 12V. I ended up using them at around 1000-1100rpm (they are completely silent at those speeds) and getting some arctic f12 tc-s (they have the 140mm version called f14). I absolutely love those fans. They are thermal controlled, so they are running at pretty low speeds on idle, and they crank up if your temps get higher, also they are extremely cheap. I ended up using two f12-s on my Thermaltake TrueBlack 120 and one in the front and one stock fan 120mm-s in the back ( i have the define r3). My temps just won't go higher than 60°C. It is completely silent, my bed is right beside it and it is on 24/7 and I have no trouble sleeping next to it.

I have an i5-750 @ 3.6Ghz and a 7870 flex.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the define r4 window and it came with the silent wings fans, i moved them both to the front and removed the inner grill. even with the side panel off and my head about 1 ft away from the case i can not hear them at all, either at 5 or 7 volts, but i can start to pick them up at 12 volts(though not with the side panel on. right now the only things that i can hear in my case are my corsair cx500 psu and my msi gtx660ti pe graphics card. though only when no other ambient noise.

• 2 weeks later...

You only hear a slight increase in the noise level when the Fractal fans are pushed up into 12v but when they are in 5v and 3v they are pretty quiet. Sure something like Noctua's are quieter but they are also double the price. It all comes down to personal preference really

PC Specs
Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Processor (With stock heat sink  :mellow:) - MSI Z77A-G43 Motherboard - Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) RAM - Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" HDD - Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GPU - Fractal Design Define R4 Case - Antec High Current Gamer 620W PSU - Sony DVD/CD Writer - Steelseries Siberia V2 - Logitech G110 - Razer Abyssus

i have the r4 and it audible if you leave the fans at 12v and have 4 of them i leave then at 5v and i can hear my graphics card a 650ti at 20% if i cant hear that then its my water pump on my antec 620 so its close enoph to silent as long as youre not expecting to max it and have it still be silent

Cpu:I7-3770|motherboard:msi z77 MPower|Ram:G-Skill Sniper 1866|Graphics:Evga 650ti SSC|Boot drive:128gb Samsung 840|Data drive:2 tb Seagate 7200 Case:Fractal Design R4|Power supply: corsair cs 750m|OS:Windows 7 home Premium|keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013| mouse: Razer Death Adder chroma