WTF R9 290X Coil Whine!!

lhikari

wtf is this

alot of ppl are complaining about it

im getting one this week :( will i have coil whine on my thermaltake 550w 80 plus bronze psu?

it could be your PSU i had  760 that had mad coil whine on my rig but i sold it to a friend and it doesnt give him any coil whine

• 9 months later...

This is the reason why I wont recommend the 290x or the 290 to anyone. They run too hot, they make too much noise and the fact that they need so much airflow and they still run at 95oC to me is just a barrage of warning bells. Cancel your order and buy a 780 if you can, if not get a 680 classified or a 680 FTW they will be cheaper than a 770 and they will be on the higher end of the scale (680 and 770 are essentially the same cards) as the FTW or classified are on the higher end of the range of their respective cards

I agree with the fact that the reference 290 and 290x suck, but my powercolor 290 pcs+ is running heaven right now, is completely silent and temps are <75 with my custom fan curve. At the stock it isn't silent but runs full load at 63c, and it all cost 100 euros less than a 780.

That would send me to the loony bin after a day or two.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.