How serious is this problem?

Bob Jim

I built my first PC ~14 months ago. The PSU I am using is the Corsair RM650x. At night, I turn the power to the PC off at the wall switch (after it has shut down of course). When I turn the power back on in the morning - NOT the computer, just the wall switch - I have been noticing for a while I hear a little pop/crack, but nothing else is wrong and the pc works fine. Just 2 days ago though, I happened to be looking in the direction of my PSU when I turned it on, and the pop was accompanied by a spark emanating from the power supply. The computer still turns on and works fine. The spark happens every time I turn it on at the wall, but only if it has been off at the wall for an extended period of time. Does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong/how serious this is? Thanks for any help.

Maybe unplug the PC when you turn the mains on and then plug it in after the mains are turned on.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

That spark is made from the point where the PSU cable connects physically to the PSU. It won't probably damage your PC (not sure at all about damaging. Well I had that problem too but PC is still working though). You have to be cautious with the electricity.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

2 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

That spark is made from the point where the PSU cable connects physically to the PSU. It won't probably damage your PC (not sure at all about damaging. Well I had that problem too but PC is still working though). You have to be cautious with the electricity.

If it's coming from there it means connector is loose. Watch for carbon build up as that will one day turn into a heater and melt the socket

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

23 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

I would say try connecting the psu cable again.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´