Looking to get PC parts cheaper on holiday to the US...

PeskyEscky

Hi everyone, looking for some advice...

So I'm going to San Francisco at the end of May, and I'm due a PC upgrade. I'm thinking of getting the parts whilst there in order to save some money, as the prices in the UK are generally horrendous!

I have an FX6300 with a GTX760 currently. I want to get a better graphics card but I think the CPU will bottleneck it. So, new build time!

Spec isn't too much of a thought at the moment as I want your advice on how to buy.

So the question is... what would be the best way to buy parts whilst in San Francisco? A store? Online somehow?

Keep in mind I will have cash that I will have exchanged for the holiday, but parts are likely cheaper online? Which comes with complications such as where to get them delivered and how to pay it? I'm trying to save as much money as possible here. Also if any of you are from SF and can recommend a store that would be good too, preferably one which I can test the parts at the store? Don't want to get back to the UK with dead parts!

Thanks in advance

Hey i dont exactly live in the sanfranciso area but i would suggest peeking into a frys electronics store or buying locally from craislist if your willing to fix it up, i got a 960 for 100$ which is a steal list price was 180 and it was new too so i would choose frys for new and craigslist for some great deals

Local Shops + Price matching is your friend.

Check /r/buildapcsales meanwhile and such and do what you can you.

Best bet for testing parts would be to just hook everything up outside the case and make just throw like linux on if you can and do some minor stress testing to make sure nothing is faulty

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

44 minutes ago, PeskyEscky said:

Hi everyone, looking for some advice...

So I'm going to San Francisco at the end of May, and I'm due a PC upgrade. I'm thinking of getting the parts whilst there in order to save some money, as the prices in the UK are generally horrendous!

I have an FX6300 with a GTX760 currently. I want to get a better graphics card but I think the CPU will bottleneck it. So, new build time!

Spec isn't too much of a thought at the moment as I want your advice on how to buy.

So the question is... what would be the best way to buy parts whilst in San Francisco? A store? Online somehow?

Keep in mind I will have cash that I will have exchanged for the holiday, but parts are likely cheaper online? Which comes with complications such as where to get them delivered and how to pay it? I'm trying to save as much money as possible here. Also if any of you are from SF and can recommend a store that would be good too, preferably one which I can test the parts at the store? Don't want to get back to the UK with dead parts!

Thanks in advance

Fry's Electronics. Sign up for their email promo codes. I just picked up a i3 6100 for $88. They had a deal for a i5-7500 + z270 motherboard for $300.

All sounds great thank you! I can't seem to find a Fry's in SF, but I may end up renting a car anyway so I'll see if I can check it out.