GTX 980 ti vs GTX 1070 for VR?

kfs65

I can get a Zotac 980 ti AMP! for $210 + a water block for another $125, or an ASUS Strix 1070 ROG for $330 and buy a water block in the next 3 months. I plan to buy an HTC Vive this summer.Which should I buy?

Strix 1070, should be quiet enough on air, don't worry about the block.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I run the Vive and have 2 980ti. Only one game supports SLI so most the time I'm on one card. Only time I get any dropped frames is in Minecraft which is modded, and King Kaiju which is demanding af, I run medium settings in that game to avoid drops. 

With VR you just have to hit 90fps, nothing gained going over. And really hard to tell the difference in settings because of the resolution the Vive runs at. I'g go with the cheapest. 

Also I run a 4790k, and never go over 15% CPU utilization. So you know the CPU requirements, which there really isn't lol. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

7 minutes ago, kfs65 said:

I can get a Zotac 980 ti AMP! for $210 + a water block for another $125, or an ASUS Strix 1070 ROG for $330 and buy a water block in the next 3 months. I plan to buy an HTC Vive this summer.Which should I buy?

The 980ti and the gtx 1070 have very similar performance so it's really more about price then anything else. 

wait is this zotac card new and is this a deal open to the public, cuz if so give me this link

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

47 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

wait is this zotac card new and is this a deal open to the public, cuz if so give me this link

No, offer from a friend. 

50 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

The 980ti and the gtx 1070 have very similar performance so it's really more about price then anything else. 

They do in normal games, usually the 980 ti beats the 1070. However the new pascal architecture and drivers for the gtx 10 lineup are supposed to be much better for VR, so I was wondering what peoples experiences were with that.

55 minutes ago, App4that said:

I run the Vive and have 2 980ti. Only one game supports SLI so most the time I'm on one card. Only time I get any dropped frames is in Minecraft which is modded, and King Kaiju which is demanding af, I run medium settings in that game to avoid drops. 

With VR you just have to hit 90fps, nothing gained going over. And really hard to tell the difference in settings because of the resolution the Vive runs at. I'g go with the cheapest. 

Also I run a 4790k, and never go over 15% CPU utilization. So you know the CPU requirements, which there really isn't lol. 

Good to know, thanks!

59 minutes ago, Lays said:

Strix 1070, should be quiet enough on air, don't worry about the block.

That's true, but I want to get the max OC potential out of the card.

14 minutes ago, kfs65 said:

That's true, but I want to get the max OC potential out of the card.

And you will.

Paying another $500 for a custom loop to get 20 mhz out of your card does nothing, take it from someone who actually owns a custom loop with a 1080mm radiator cooling his Gtx 1080.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

25 minutes ago, kfs65 said:

They do in normal games, usually the 980 ti beats the 1070. However the new pascal architecture and drivers for the gtx 10 lineup are supposed to be much better for VR, so I was wondering what peoples experiences were with that.

VR is a different world than monitor gaming. 90 is the finish line and you can't see the fps. Really no reliable way to track it, and games just aren't made that require much. The only games that do, do so because of physics not graphics, and then you get stuttering. But like I said dropping setting to medium clears that up and you can't tell the difference. 

You can definitely go with the 1070, can't hurt. I call BS on the whole "X% better in VR!" marketing as 90% of the time my system isn't even sweating to lock 90. *I record what happens and review it after a session.* Just a hypothesis but going off my time in VR which is considerable more than most, there just isn't anything to the marketing that these newer architectures have an advantage worth mentioning. 

Maybe in a year or two once games get more demanding and the headsets are higher in resolution. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

VR is a different world than monitor gaming. 90 is the finish line and you can't see the fps. Really no reliable way to track it, and games just aren't made that require much. The only games that do, do so because of physics not graphics, and then you get stuttering. But like I said dropping setting to medium clears that up and you can't tell the difference. 

You can definitely go with the 1070, can't hurt. I call BS on the whole "X% better in VR!" marketing as 90% of the time my system isn't even sweating to lock 90. *I record what happens and review it after a session.* Just a hypothesis but going off my time in VR which is considerable more than most, there just isn't anything to the marketing that these newer architectures have an advantage worth mentioning. 

Maybe in a year or two once games get more demanding and the headsets are higher in resolution. 

Okay thanks! 

3 hours ago, kfs65 said:

http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vr/

they compare the 1070 and 980ti for VR performance in almost every one of their VR benchmarks. The 1070 uses less power and is easier to cool than the 980ti but there is practically no performance gain to be seen.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

1070 will gain extra performance over 980Ti with game that support SMP but iinm currently only iRacing support it.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |