What would I need?

Mr. Brovahkiin

I wanna have my computer audio and my xbox audio come out of the same source, so I can basically just throw my headphones on and have the audio from my xbox and my PC coming out at the same time. Is this possible and what would I need to make this a thing

Audio splitter, 2 in 1 out

Well yeah. But the issue I have is (and probably should have mentioned this) My xbox is outputting optical audio and my pc is outputting either 3.5 or optical audio and I need to convert it into 3.5.

Well yeah. But the issue I have is (and probably should have mentioned this) My xbox is outputting optical audio and my pc is outputting either 3.5 or optical audio and I need to convert it into 3.5.

look for a DAC

Fiio TAISHAN will convert optical to 2 channel RCA or 3.5mm out. Pair that with the splitter @CoolBeans suggested. Probably not the most elegant solution but it should work.

51A4kyk9g-L._SL1020_.jpg

look for a DAC

Fiio TAISHAN will convert optical to 2 channel RCA or 3.5mm out. Pair that with the splitter @CoolBeans suggested. Probably not the most elegant solution but it should work.

31zvTE3f6LL.jpg

Ok so I have that option. I'll keep that in my head but would there be anything that's a little more elegant then that. Something where I could adjust the audio levels coming from either input or at the very least the overall level in general? Because the xbox levels would be at one level due to it not having anyway to adjust the output volume

Audio splitter, 2 in 1 out

Audio splitters split, they're not meant to combine. 

OP, I'd suggest you send your Xbox audio into your PC and control the volume there. If you don't have optical input, use the D3 mentioned above.

If you have a receiver amp lying around one of those would do it too,  not necessarily the best option for SQ or size but you can also drive speakers if you want too.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

OP, I'd suggest you send your Xbox audio into your PC and control the volume there. If you don't have optical input, use the D3 mentioned above.

the D3 doesn't output to 3.5mm, only RCA. my mistake. The TAISHAN outputs to both

they can combine

if the xbox has rca out, you could get a rca > 3.5mm cable and send that to the computer's line in.

all you'd have to do is click the "listen to device" checkbox in sound properties.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

if the xbox has rca out, you could get a rca > 3.5mm cable and send that to the computer's line in.

all you'd have to do is click the "listen to device" checkbox in sound properties.

Not to sound like a noob, but which color on the back is the line in :P

they can combine

But they're not supposed to be used in that manner. While you probably won't break anything, you can get strange audio artifacts.

Ok. I set this up in THE MOST ghetto way possible. I am using an HDMI cable and the RCA cables from the xbox at the same time. The HDMI is handling video while the  RCA is handling audio. I had to remove the plastic shroud from around the RCA cable and cut the wires that went to the optical output (don't use the cable anymore and I have a replacement type dongle anyway). Then I used a RCA to 3.5 adapter I had lying around then just used a 3.5 to 3.5 cable to input into the line in. It works rather well and I love it haha. And it didn't cost me a cent

I stole this from the NWAVGUY:

when you are sharing the output of two different devices it's a good idea to provide some isolation and series resistance so they will more equally share the load current and not fight each other due to differences in DC offset. This series resistance also improves stability.

In other words in order to stop the pc and xbox from shorting or overloading each other some resistance is required between each unit.  That is why a straight splitter will work but a mixer is better.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Although., I may need to get the official adapter. It's messing with the video out to my monitor and won't work sometimes

Although., I may need to get the official adapter. It's messing with the video out to my monitor and won't work sometimes

That'd be a good idea, but if you get one of the cheaper 3rd party ones you might have to do some modding as well. There's plenty of online guides on how to fix the issue common with them.