EK Vardar vs Noctua iPPC for radiator

Owlman

I'm prepping for a watercooling project wayy in advance, but I want it to be "perfect". Probably going to have several big thin radiators with low rpm on the fans so, which fan would be give the best performance while being quiet?

NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM

EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140 

EK-Vardar F3-140ER 

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW

Going off memory, but Noctuas iPPC fans don't perform much better than their regular A14s and they get god awfully loud, better to just go with the regular ones if the colors don't offend your eyes too bad

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

35 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Going off memory, but Noctuas iPPC fans don't perform much better than their regular A14s and they get god awfully loud, better to just go with the regular ones if the colors don't offend your eyes too bad

the colors of the regular fans make my eyes pop out of their sockets

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

3 hours ago, Cyracus said:

The NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM will go below 400 rpm typically even if rated to 450. And the color must be what makes them more appealing than the normal ones. 

The FF4s go down to 450ish where the F3s will do 400is and below. If you get the Er models...  Not sure you can get other than the ERs any more. 

Sound  wise its  more or less they same but with a different "whine" .  I found the Noctuas to be the more pleasing, but that's a subjective opinion. 

You dont necessarily have to use thin radiators with low RPM fans. I went with XSPC RX radiators (depth of 2.2") because they're optimized for lower air flow and used Vardar F2s; the 240 at bottom in currently in push (will be swapping this to pull) and the 360 up top is in pull. This combo has been a fantastic match and produces very little noise.

32125167940_e5632e05e5_h.jpg

19 hours ago, NoobCase said:

The NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM will go below 400 rpm typically even if rated to 450. And the color must be what makes them more appealing than the normal ones. 

The FF4s go down to 450ish where the F3s will do 400is and below. If you get the Er models...  Not sure you can get other than the ERs any more. 

Sound  wise its  more or less they same but with a different "whine" .  I found the Noctuas to be the more pleasing, but that's a subjective opinion. 

Do you know if there are any good pwm 180mm fans out there? 

Desktop Rig:

1 hour ago, NoobCase said:

Silverstones Airpenetrator fans are decent.

It's not PWM though :/ 

Desktop Rig:

49 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

That is correct... :) If you have an Asus motherboard is not that big of an issue.. those can control the fans on volatage. Think quite a few of the other brands can as well by now.

Okey thanks for telling me.

Why doesn't EK sell 180mm vardar fans when they have 180mm rads?

Desktop Rig:

23 hours ago, madweazl said:

32125167940_e5632e05e5_h.jpg

How did you get that curve at the bottom of your res? You must be a tube bending master! xD

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

On 2/16/2017 at 9:15 AM, JR8 said:

How did you get that curve at the bottom of your res? You must be a tube bending master! xD

To get those kind of bends these work very well:

BU000MO_91818_800x800.jpg

On 2/16/2017 at 8:48 AM, Owlman said:

Okey thanks for telling me.

Why doesn't EK sell 180mm vardar fans when they have 180mm rads?

They did at one point. They just didn't sell well, so they stopped production of them.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

On 2/15/2017 at 4:05 AM, Owlman said:

I'm prepping for a watercooling project wayy in advance, but I want it to be "perfect". Probably going to have several big thin radiators with low rpm on the fans so, which fan would be give the best performance while being quiet?

NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM

EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140 

EK-Vardar F3-140ER 

I would look into Corsair ML Pro fans, you get both great performance and very quiet fans.

Another fan would be BeQuiet SilentWings 3 (High Speed or Normal Edition).

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, Revan654 said:

I would look into Corsair ML Pro fans, you get both great performance and very quiet fans.

Another fan would be BeQuiet SilentWings 3 (High Speed or Normal Edition).

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Desktop Rig:

I like the F12's and want to try the NF-F12 industrialPPC at some point. I wish they made a 180mm pwm!

NF-F12.jpg

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

If you are going for silence, i would advise against the vardars. The ball bearings are terribly loud, and when you run them slow, you can hear it pretty clearly. And with the IPPC's they also have a annoying "ticking" from the motor because of the extra poles (compared to regular NF series.) I asked noctua about this directly, and it's not a fault. They are ment for industry applications, and therefore the silence is taking a backseat compared to performance.

I would strongly recommend the NF A14 (if you don't mind the colors), the Fractal Venturi HP140 or Be Quiet silent wings 3, but I would personally recommend the venturi.

Ncase M1 V3         Samsung Evo 850 2

Spoiler

50gb

Spoiler
Spoiler

2x8gb Corsair LPX 2400mhz

Msi z170i AC pro

Be quiet Shadow Rock LP                     Noctua NF-F12 x12 x3

Be Quiet Sile

nt Wings 3 x2

Corsair Commander Pro

Intel i7 6700k

Samsung Evo 960 256gb                 Corsair SF-450

Gigabyte 980 Ti Extreme Gaming w/ Arctic Accelero Extreme 3

Samsung Evo 850 500gb

Noctua Redux NF-B9 1

On 15.2.2017 at 10:57 AM, Owlman said:

the colors of the regular fans make my eyes pop out of their sockets

From an earlier reply :P 

2 hours ago, Pat-Roner said:

If you are going for silence, i would advise against the vardars. The ball bearings are terribly loud, and when you run them slow, you can hear it pretty clearly. And with the IPPC's they also have a annoying "ticking" from the motor because of the extra poles (compared to regular NF series.) I asked noctua about this directly, and it's not a fault. They are ment for industry applications, and therefore the silence is taking a backseat compared to performance.

I would strongly recommend the NF A14 (if you don't mind the colors), the Fractal Venturi HP140 or Be Quiet silent wings 3, but I would personally recommend the venturi.

Wish they just made a black version of the regular fans.

Desktop Rig:

2 hours ago, Eddie Current said:

I like the F12's and want to try the NF-F12 industrialPPC at some point. I wish they made a 180mm pwm!

NF-F12.jpg

Talked with support earlier, they said they're discussing if they should make a 180mm fan. Not very likely that they do, but the person i spoke with said he'd support that idea. so there is hope

Desktop Rig:

That would be nice.

180_fans.jpg

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

I always like looking at Thermalbench's... well, benches.

FoO8sMEl.jpg
7SE2Vmgl.jpg
http://thermalbench.com/2016/10/31/be-quiet-silent-wings-3-140-mm-high-speed-fan/3/

Note that B14-3 from Blacknoise can have problems on PP. Some reports of QC problems with Vardars, but of course anecdotal.

I have Silent Wings 3. The noise signature is fine, they are black, and I got a small bulk discount from Newegg.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?