Embedded SATA?

Hi everyone,

I'm configuring a PowerEdge T430 with Dell and ran across the embedded SATA option. What does that mean? I couldn't find a quick wiki on it. An explanation would be very helpful if you have a moment.

Thank you. 

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

It just means the server has an onboard SATA controller. A lot of servers use dedicated RAID hardware, so may have no need for an onboard controller. You can turn the controller completely off if you're using dedicated hardware for it. 

14 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It just means the server has an onboard SATA controller. A lot of servers use dedicated RAID hardware, so may have no need for an onboard controller. You can turn the controller completely off if you're using dedicated hardware for it. 

I see. I'm actually configuring RAID 1 with it as on option on the configuration page. Does that mean the server will have dedicated RAID hardware?

I"m consulting with someone and they already said not to choose embedded SATA. I'm one other member of the team and want to dot my i's and cross my t's and get up to date with the solution we're implementing. 

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

1 minute ago, berderder said:

I see. I'm actually configuring RAID 1 with it as on option on the configuration page. Does that mean the server will have dedicated RAID hardware?

I"m consulting with someone and they already said not to choose embedded SATA. I'm one other member of the team and wantt to dot my i's and cross my t's and get up to date with the solution we're implementing. 

It means it has an onboard chipset RAID controller. Dedicated hardware RAID would be in the form of an expansion card of some sort. I wouldn't advise onboard RAID even for a desktop system, much less a server. If the board dies, you need to switch board, BIOS gets corrupted etc. etc. you'll have a bad time trying to rebuild an array or recover data if it's striped.

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It means it has an onboard chipset RAID controller. Dedicated hardware RAID would be in the form of an expansion card of some sort. I wouldn't advise onboard RAID even for a desktop system, much less a server. If the board dies, you need to switch board, BIOS gets corrupted etc. etc. you'll have a bad time trying to rebuild an array or recover data if it's striped.

Gotcha. Thank you