8gb or 16gb of ram

Go to solution Solved by PeachyUwUSenpai,
1 hour ago, Reem1kTechTips said:

Yeah i think im going to add more ram after a while after completing the build

Yep that's probably the best idea just make sure to buy 8 gigs in one stick and not in 2 4 gig so you can expand later without removing the 2 4 gig sticks.

2 hours ago, Bob116 said:

I have to do with 16gb ram, 32gb costs about €250 where i live

it costs about the same here. but i did it over a period of about 2 years the down side to that is then its not dual channel but it works for what i need it for 

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

i can have more tabs open than my brain can cope with and have chrome still stay within completely acceptable bounds.

what these people describe is a problem in layer 8 -- the user expecting something out of the machine that simply cannot be, you cant *not* use a stupid amount of ram if you have that many webpages open, and NO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, you dont need them all to be open.

were not expecting them to not use a stupid amount of ram. also i do need them all open it's not that many tabs if you divide them across 10 screens

Do you keep alot of chrome tabs open?

pretty much if you have more then one screen and like to keep a lot of stuff open and run multiple chat clients and have lots of chrome tabs you'll probably want 16 gigs i'm currently using 15.6 gigs. thats cs go using 1.5 gigs and the rest being used by chrome and a several chat clients (discord skype riot telegram signal keybase). if your the type of person who closes things constantly and only keeps 1 or 2 things up 8 gigs should be fine but i prefer more 

Depends what you use you computer for.

6 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

Do you keep alot of chrome tabs open?

The tabs don't actually take up thaaat much space. What you have in the tabs is more important.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

In some games i go over 8 gb (10.5gb) so i would go with 16gb . The ssd is a must if you dont want to wait.

1 minute ago, Lethalmonk said:

then you have never experienced multiple chrome tabs. especially while multitasking.

One time chrome used 8gb ram.

8 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

i've had it use 30 gigs once wasn't pretty

22 minutes ago, Reem1kTechTips said:

Will i ever use more than 8gb of ram? My options are 16gb or 8gb + 120gb ssd.

Do you already have an SSD? If not I will go with 8gb. You can add another 8gb later without any problem while an extra SSD (assume you will put Windows) will need cloning or reinstall

it offcourse seriously depends on your use case, for a lot of people 4GB even still suffices, but for most cases, this is how i word it:

8GB is enough, but 16GB is best described as "comfortable".

just like driving to and from work in a lada niva is enough to get you from A to B, but a mercedes C class is "comfortable" to get from A to B.

That depends on which programs you use... of course, "ever" is a long time and saying you won't ever use more than 8 would be just silly. Whether you need more right now... if you need to ask the answer is probably no. And don't believe the memes about chrome, it uses everything it can for caching, that doesn't mean it NEEDS 64gb or something.

Don't skip the ssd if you can afford it.

15 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

i've had it use 30 gigs once wasn't pretty

21 minutes ago, Bob116 said:

In some games i go over 8 gb (10.5gb) so i would go with 16gb . The ssd is a must if you dont want to wait.

18 minutes ago, Bob116 said:

One time chrome used 8gb ram.

This is not evidence of chrome or anything else needing more than 8gb of ram. What you're seeing is caching. Of course, caching has benefits, but not enough to warrant buying more ram if chrome and games are all you're running.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

24 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

then you have never experienced multiple chrome tabs. especially while multitasking.

Yesss, those 40 windows I have open in Chrome right now on 4GB of RAM must be a complete illusion...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

25 minutes ago, Bob116 said:

I've looked at about 3 youtube videos comparing 16 32 and 64 GB of ram. This is all for Rendering. If 16GB was base, going to 32 GB only gave a factor of 1.4x, and going to 64Gb gave a factor of 3.1x. 32GB just doesn't scale very good and should just be skipped and go straight for 64GB.

14 minutes ago, Sauron said:

This is not evidence of chrome or anything else needing more than 8gb of ram. What you're seeing is caching. Of course, caching has benefits, but not enough to warrant buying more ram if chrome and games are all you're running.

i can have more tabs open than my brain can cope with and have chrome still stay within completely acceptable bounds.

what these people describe is a problem in layer 8 -- the user expecting something out of the machine that simply cannot be, you cant *not* use a stupid amount of ram if you have that many webpages open, and NO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, you dont need them all to be open.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

but even then, even with 150 tabs open I'm pretty sure a machine with 8gb of ram would handle it just fine. Some pages might reload when you move to their tab, that's about it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

but even then, even with 150 tabs open I'm pretty sure a machine with 8gb of ram would handle it just fine. Some pages might reload when you move to their tab, that's about it.

in college one of my classmates had a laptop with 8GB ram, which was usually filled to the brim with firefox holding ~100 tabs worth of forum content, including every single webpage element, profile pictures, badges, WALLS UPON WALLS of text, etc. (said forum had an average post length of *at least* a filled A4).

the reason he did that was because college wifi was poop, and he wanted reading material :P

11 minutes ago, manikyath said:

in college one of my classmates had a laptop with 8GB ram, which was usually filled to the brim with firefox holding ~100 tabs worth of forum content, including every single webpage element, profile pictures, badges, WALLS UPON WALLS of text, etc. (said forum had an average post length of *at least* a filled A4).

the reason he did that was because college wifi was poop, and he wanted reading material :P

I'm also pretty sure some browsers use less/tab like Edge, Firefox and Chrome uses a lot for each tab when I've opened about 20-30ish tabs on Firefox. Though I haven't tested.

1 minute ago, phongle123 said:

I'm also pretty sure some browsers use less/tab like Edge, Firefox and Chrome uses a lot for each tab when I've opened about 20-30ish tabs on Firefox. Though I haven't tested.

eh, you can only "use less" to a certain point, you have to somehow still keep everything in memory.

look at it like compressing zip archives: you can compress them better to make them smaller, but that can only go so far until you just cant go less without losing data.

14 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

I think you'll see a lot more benefit from an SSD than an extra 8gb of RAM.  Where the extra RAM might help you in some rare use cases, an SSD makes everything feel faster.  But you'll eventually want to consider more RAM in the future.

1 hour ago, Reem1kTechTips said:

Yep that's probably the best idea just make sure to buy 8 gigs in one stick and not in 2 4 gig so you can expand later without removing the 2 4 gig sticks.

2 hours ago, Bob116 said:

it costs about the same here. but i did it over a period of about 2 years the down side to that is then its not dual channel but it works for what i need it for 

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

were not expecting them to not use a stupid amount of ram. also i do need them all open it's not that many tabs if you divide them across 10 screens

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

also i do need them all open -- 10 screens

the problem is, you're either in denial, or have a workload so far ot of normal means it doesnt apply to this topic.