New PC for FSX - not sure what to pick...

Hi everyone,

I have been asked to put together a new PC for a friend of mine, who is intending to play Flight Simulator X (FSX) on it. 

Seeing that that software is now 10 years (?) old, I am not sure what hardware to pick. I know that FSX is very CPU demanding (uses single core, high clockrate) and its a 32bit piece of software (might be relevant for choice of RAM?). He is running a bit of custom scenery and aircraft addons, mainly PMDG. 

He is in need of everything, including mouse, keyboard, screen, ... except the yoke.

Budgetwise, we are somewhat flexible, but he doesnt like spending more than he has to. Location is Luxemburg (Europe).

I am grateful for any input regarding this, also if you have made your own experiences recently thanks for sharing those with me.

Cheers,

Max

Edit: 1080p !

He should switch to XPlane and save himeself the trouble of trying to squeeze frames out of FSX :)  I've been here before! Any good scenary pack is avaliable on XPlane & mods etc.

However, Matching hardware for that kind of game is really difficult. If you have no option but to go with FSX I would go i7/16GB ram for a base. SSD/NVME can speed up the game exponentially when it comes to extra/addons but the costs are high.

I have a decent rig with FSX/Xplane/VR/Sim sticks so any questions welcome.

Hi drpeirson!

I read somewhere to just use an overclocked Intel Pentium G3258 - whats your thought on that?

Also, I tried to convince him to ditch FSX altogether and switch to something more modern, but he has all his addons for FSX and doesn't want to loose it all.

8 minutes ago, Wantsum-Getsum said:

Hi drpeirson!

I read somewhere to just use an overclocked Intel Pentium G3258 - whats your thought on that?

Also, I tried to convince him to ditch FSX altogether and switch to something more modern, but he has all his addons for FSX and doesn't want to loose it all.

Get the Intel Pentium G4560 instead. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

6 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Get the Intel Pentium G4560 instead. 

Care to elaborate? If I'm putting this together for a friend, I want to get it right. 

23 minutes ago, Wantsum-Getsum said:

Care to elaborate? If I'm putting this together for a friend, I want to get it right. 

I would stick to i5/i7, While FSX released with limited core use and memory limits the latest FSX:SE has both service packs letting you make a little better use of more cores & memory. From my expeirence you will also get to enjoy other games & general desktop use outside of FSX. Limiting yourself to a G4560 just for FSX? He will be shooting yourself in the foot, especially if he ever wanted to move into VR/P3P/XP.

I imagine there will be a clean devide, It's like asking for advice on an "audiophile" forum :P