Mushkin Power Supply XP-650 can it run a modern rig propperly

I have gotten hold of a Mushkin Power Supply XP-650. Basically like new the condition I got it in. Can this model run a modern rig properly.

2 minutes ago, Aquados said:

I have gotten hold of a Mushkin Power Supply XP-650. Basically like new the condition I got it in. Can this model run a modern rig properly.

I don't know if Mushkin even make PSU. Depends on which components

as long as it's appropriate quality, sure.

on the quality side of things, that'll be one hell of a dive to find out...

EDIT: i found a lower end psu by mushkin on jonnyguru, which he isnt very hype about...

It is still marked as a $60 PSU. It is modualer. Found a modern Stata cable for it.

IIRC, that unit doesn't even have active PFC.  Does it have the red 115/230V switch on the back?  If so, throw it in the garbage.  It's not even worth $5.

7 minutes ago, Aquados said:

If it runs the computer then it still has value.

Merely "running the computer" and running the computer safely is two different things, and as such, if it can't do it safely, then it no longer has value.

IIRC, this Mushkin is based on an archaic non-PFC half-bridge, group-regulated design that has the negative 5V that had removed from ATX specification back in 2004. It's not suited for a modern day rig. Not to mentioned, due to its age, the capacitors filtering capability has greatly worsen in which may no longer keep it's already poor ripple suppression when new in ATX specs.

So basically, "throw it in the garbage" and get something new.

One of the reasons why I got is because I can't afford the new ones and people in my area are not repling back and way to much wattage.

The condition is like new and the inside has no debry. It will be a temporary PSU till I can afford a new. I'm building my first pc.

Mushkin ehh, I didn't think they made (or sold) PSUs.

Does a PSU without a PFC effect the performance of the PC?

On 12/02/2017 at 4:20 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

should be fine

No it's not!

It's a 10 Year+ Topower P4/P5 design, the smaller group regulated stuff. So no, do NOT use it!

Those things are damn inefficient, if it gets close to 80% you are lucky but it's more likely in the 60- 72% ballpark - modern units are around 85%.

And also the rest of this unit wasn't really great at the time but nowadays it's a piece of shit, caps will probably be bulged and/or leak (haven't seen a Topower P4/P5 unit where taht isn't the case, even if it seems like its working). And modern units, even the cheapest of the cheapest pile, will be better than this one...

So I'd rather trust a Xilence Performance A+ instead of this thing. And Topower as a manufacturer wasn't that great (they just were the fist to do 'consumer' stuff like blackened case, drilled cables and this shit)...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, Aquados said:

One of the reasons why I got is because I can't afford the new ones and people in my area are not repling back and way to much wattage.

Trust me, it's cheaper to get a new/quality one, instead of such old shit.

Because a new/decent PSU is cheaper than a new computer. And with a shitty PSU you can toast the rest of it!

So don't cheap out on the PSU!

And that you can't afford a decent one is something I don't belive!
You may not be able to buy one right now, but for that you may have to save some money for a couple of weeks.

Because the alternative would be to have no computer at all because the PSU killed everything...

17 hours ago, Aquados said:

17 hours ago, Aquados said:

The condition is like new and the inside has no debry. It will be a temporary PSU till I can afford a new. I'm building my first pc.

5 hours ago, Aquados said:

I only make $10 a week

Power supplies can be clean and service. Ensuring that it is done and worked properly is a different story. Even if it was completely new, I wouldn't used it in my rig, tbh.

If you don't make much money, then even more-so, it is advisable to purchase a proper, quality PSU for your modern day rig. I mean, you are putting your limited amount of money into building your first PC, and yet, you are putting an old, dated PSU that can be decremental to the lifespan of your rig which in turn require more money and time to have it replaced. If money is a concern, then it being an inefficient PSU can affect your power bills, as it will draw more power from the wall to deliver the same amount of power to your system.

Can you provide links to stores you can by from so we can see what's available to you, as well as how much you can spend? Also, what's the system specification (if you can't afford getting a proper PSU, this could mean that your system isn't very demanding and be power on a <400w PSU)?

4 hours ago, Aquados said:

I only make $10 a week

And it's cheaper to kill your rig with a cheap, old and probably defective PSU than saving your money for a couple of weeks and get a reasonable quality PSU that enhances the lifespan of your rig?

it's like arguing about a car and that you don't have the money to get the oil changed...
If you run your car with old or shitty oil, it will break down. If you change it regularly and use high quality oil, the car will last.

It's the same with PSU. And the really bad thing is that you are NOT able to tell if the PSU is in a decent shape and doesn't damage your PSU or not - and will damage your rig...

That's just one thing.

The other thing:

We are talking about a 20 Year old design!

That wasn't really that good when it was new, now it's 20 years later and it's just garbage by todays standards and needs. If it works correctly that is...

But the real problem is that the manufacturer didn't use decent quality caps but rather something from the buttom like JenPo, Fuhyyju and if you are lucky Asia-X...