Modding extension cables

winterfart1
Go to solution Solved by Ithanul,
3 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

That's a much bigger task than you may realise. While you could take the connectors off the existing cables (PSU end connectors are not standardised like the component end) and wire the extensions in, it will require you to match the pins exactly to the existing cables, as they are not pinned 1 to 1 like the extensions are, they will cross over each other. Corsair PSUs often use double wires, so you'd need to make those too. 

Yep, that were things get tricky.  Corsair loves their double wires.

I believe there is a site that has pin out diagrams for PSUs.  Just have to find it.

Found a review that shows pinout for the SF600.

https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/powersupplies/corsair-sf600-review-new-player-joined

Hi LTT forum,

I recently changed from a bigger Phantek enthoo evolv itx case to an Ncase M1 V5 case. I want to reuse my extension cables which I got but they're male to female so I can't use it with my corsair SF600. 

Any ideas? 

CableMod.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

11 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

CableMod.

Overpriced.

I think phanteks does sleeved cables. Or you could do it yourself.

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

Are you trying to attach them straight to the SF600?

You can buy male connectors then unpin the wires out then put them into the different connector.  Just make super sure the right wires go in the right spot.

There is a tool to unpin cables or use staples.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Also, be careful with male/female on PSU cables. 

This is the male end: 

24p-atx-male.png

and this is the female end:

24.jpg

A lot of people get them the wrong way round, so it can be confusing. 

4 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Are you trying to attach them straight to the SF600?

You can buy male connectors then unpin the wires out then put them into the different connector.  Just make super sure the right wires go in the right spot.

There is a tool to unpin cables or use staples.

Ah this was exactly what I meant!

Do you have a link tho? And never knew the male and female ends were interchangeable!

4 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Also, be careful with male/female on PSU cables. 

This is the male end: 

24p-atx-male.png

and this is the female end:

24.jpg

A lot of people get them the wrong way round, so it can be confusing. 

Ah thanks for the heads up man. As above, I want to connect it directly to the PSU. 

2 minutes ago, winterfart1 said:

Ah thanks for the heads up man. As above, I want to connect it directly to the PSU. 

That's a much bigger task than you may realise. While you could take the connectors off the existing cables (PSU end connectors are not standardised like the component end) and wire the extensions in, it will require you to match the pins exactly to the existing cables, as they are not pinned 1 to 1 like the extensions are, they will cross over each other. Corsair PSUs often use double wires, so you'd need to make those too. 

3 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I believe there is a site that has pin out diagrams for PSUs.  Just have to find it.

https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/powersupplies/corsair-sf600-review-new-player-joined

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

5 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Thanks man!

15 hours ago, winterfart1 said:

Hi LTT forum,

I recently changed from a bigger Phantek enthoo evolv itx case to an Ncase M1 V5 case. I want to reuse my extension cables which I got but they're male to female so I can't use it with my corsair SF600. 

Any ideas? 

Hey @winterfart1 extensions are universal so you should be fine, if you need longer cable extensions though you can check out the solutions that we offer where you can customize your extensions by length, or buy complete replacement cables for your Corsair SF600. :)
https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/