i7 2600k Asus Strix R9 390X - Should I upgrade?

Good Morning,

I currently have a I7 2600K with an Asus p8p67 Pro and a Asus Strix R9 390X and a BenQ XL2720Z. I recently dumped the GPU Tweak II from my machine as I couldn't trust it. It reported Temps of 95C and the fan would only briefly turn on. I play a variety of games ranging from BF1/BF4 to Star Citizen.

Here is my quandary, I'm trying to decide if my CPU is a bottleneck for my GPU. If my GPU is just a poor buy on my part or if I'm just over reacting. I'm willing to run tests and get information back if need be.

Your CPU is still pretty decent.

If you're not happy with your framerate, and if you're in the US, I'd recommend picking up a used 980ti. They can be had for $300 on /r/hardwareswap :)

Anyway, no, I don't think your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU. It sounds to me like you're reaching the point everyone reaches sometimes where 100 fps isn't enough :P

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

It's still solid. Unless you're unhappy with the performance then don't upgrade. Don't upgrade because some guy thinks aTitam XP is the minimum for gaming

That's an F in the profile pic

What speed is your 2600K running at? If it's at stock speed configuration, then get a decent aftermarket cooler, something like a 212 Evo is fine, and overclock it - I recommend 4.5 - 4.7 Ghz, whatever you can safely do while keeping the voltage under 1.38 - 1.4v. Then, it'll be in the territory of performance as newer CPUs.

Intel's Kaby Lake is mostly a refresh of their previous generation of CPUs, and isn't worth hopping on, IMO. The next generation might be, or maybe something from AMD will be. However, right now isn't the time to buy new, since AMD's upcoming CPUs are expected to offer more performance for the dollar than current Intel CPUs do, and they'll likely cause Intel to lower their CPU prices.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Goldensapling,

Yes I'm in the US, I'm not even sure if the 390X is being throttled even.

Delicieuxz,

I just OC'd the CPU this morning using the one button OC and it looks under HWinfo to be running at 4.4. As I'm at work I won't be able to test until this afternoon. here is most of my rig.https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dHQJRG

3 hours ago, Majorpayne said:

Goldensapling,

Yes I'm in the US, I'm not even sure if the 390X is being throttled even.

Delicieuxz,

I just OC'd the CPU this morning using the one button OC and it looks under HWinfo to be running at 4.4. As I'm at work I won't be able to test until this afternoon. here is most of my rig.https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dHQJRG

I think a lot of people would strongly recommend that you not use any automatic overclocking, as they're typically very inefficient.

I would go into your BIOS, and try these settings (or whatever your motherboard's equivalent are):

Turbo Ratio (By All Cores): 45

Load-Line Calibration: 50% (High)
VRM Frequency: Manual
VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350
Phase Control (if Asus motherboard): Asus Optimized
Duty Control: Extreme

CPU Voltage: Offset Mode
Offset Mode Sign: +
CPU Offset Voltage: +0.04v (never leave voltage offset on Auto, as it will way overvolt)

Speed Step: Enabled
C1E, C6: Enabled

A lot of that stuff doesn't necessarily have to be modified, to get a good and stable OC. It's mainly the Turbo Ratio, Load-Line Calibration (LLC), CPU Voltage mode, and its offset value that need to be configured. The rest might help with stability, but also might be unnecessary.

After an OC is set up, then run it in Prime 95 for a few hours (maximum burn, small ffts), while making note of what voltage and temperature it's running at, using something like CPUID, or CPU-Z for voltage, and Real Temp for CPU temperatures.

If that's not stable, and your system crashes, then I would increase the voltage offset to +0.05v. If it's all stable, and the max voltage and temperatures that you see in CPUID or CPU-Z are within a good spec, I would then start adjusting things, to find the more perfect overclock for your system. For an OC of 4.6 - 4.8v, you'll probably have to increase the voltage offset beyond +0.04. You also might be able to get 4.5 Ghz with a lower voltage offset than +0.04v - the exact amount of offset needed can be different for every specific CPU.

It's a good idea to get an aftermarket CPU cooler if you're going to overclock, because the stock cooler isn't very good, and won't cool the CPU enough for a very good OC. A CoolerMaster 212 Evo is like $35 USD, and does a great job.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

There is only a 3 - 8% different between an i7 2600K @ 4.5 Ghz and an i7 6700K @ 4.4 Ghz, while gaming at 1440p, in these benchmarks:

4 hours ago, Majorpayne said:

I've heard that the newest versions of prime95 cause damage to the i7's is that correct? I have already done you suggested with the basic OC' settings and CPU-z is showing 4635mhz

I don't know anything about Prime 95 being hard particularly on i7s. It's a standard CPU burn test.

I'm guessing that you set your CPU multiplier to 46, and so you're getting max 4635 Mhz under load. That happens, the peak Mhz isn't always exact.

3 hours ago, Majorpayne said:

ran Prime95 for 15 mins and the temps were hitting 9o degrees. I might need to remount my Cooler. maybe get some good arctic silver.

90C is too hot, and will quickly wear down your CPU, over time, if you leave it running at that temperature. Make sure the core temperatures stay below 80C, under load.

If you're using the stock Intel cooler for your CPU, that's why your core temperatures are so high - the stock cooler is not very good, and won't let you get a very good OC, due to the tempteratures.  A CoolerMaster 212 Evo is like $35 USD, and does a great job. If you already have an aftermarket cooler, then maybe you're right, and the cooler needs to be re-seated. For thermal paste, I recommend Arctic Silver MX-4.

Also, check to see if LLC is not higher than 50%, because LLC contributes a lot of heat to the CPU.

I'm in the same boat, I have an i7-2700K OC'ed to 4.7GHz and was thinking about upgrading to the newer 7700K but the performance difference isn't just there for me to justify spending that money. According to HARDOCP it's around 20% faster clock for clock in synthetic benchmarks and in games it's much less. 

I upgraded my GPU from a 680 to an R9 Fury and it was a huge improvement the CPU isn't bottle necking anything. Games are usually GPU limited unless you're going for high FPS lower quality game play. 

Your best bet as others have said is to just OC the CPU and you should be good. The GPU should be upgraded if you want to play games at higher quality settings. 

Run a benchmark or play a game and see if your cpu hits 90%+ usage if so update it as will be bottlenecking your gpu if its running less the  90% like wise if your cards at 90%+ and cpu is at like 60% then upgrade your card 

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

5 hours ago, GreenToxon said:

-snip-

I actually had a 2500K and bought a used 2700K off of ebay as a upgrade until Intel makes something great again / I couldn't stomach the $650 for a new motherboard, CPU (7700K), and 16GB of DDR4 for the performance gain. I got it running at 4.9GHz at 1.44v finally. However, even my 2500K at 4.6GHz played well with my 980 Ti / 1070. No issues at all.

@Majorpayne As stated above, just OC the 2600K and you should be fine.