Smallest case for an APU mITX build?

Okjoek

Basically trying to figure out how I can make my own HTPC in an impossible small form factor. I'm considering the possibility that such a case doesn't exist and that I may need to build my own. But I will ask anyway.

My goal is to use a future Ryzen APU on a mITX motherboard with an M.2 SSD and an SFX PSU. As for cooling I'm not sure yet. If this APU has a high TDP like 95W or greater I might consider an AIO or probably one of the larger low-profile coolers like an NH-L12.

Are there any cases suited for this build that reach the extremes of small form factor?

Fractal Design Node 202 is small but doesnt support AiOs.

5 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Basically trying to figure out how I can make my own HTPC in an impossible small form factor. I'm considering the possibility that such a case doesn't exist and that I may need to build my own. But I will ask anyway.

My goal is to use a future Ryzen APU on a mITX motherboard with an M.2 SSD and an SFX PSU. As for cooling I'm not sure yet. If this APU has a high TDP like 95W or greater I might consider an AIO or probably one of the larger low-profile coolers like an NH-L12.

Are there any cases suited for this build that reach the extremes of small form factor?

Shoebox (Sarcasm) and http://pcpartpicker.com/product/FvKhP6/xion-case-xon310bk  Cheapest I could find. If money isn't an issue, Let me know!

Something like the Silverstone ML08 is really small and nicely set up for a HTPC. There are even smaller ML cases that don't do a graphics card.

And you could see if there's any custom mini-computer with Ryzen APU that you could buy once those hit the market.

But hang on, how do you know Ryzen APUs will be the best thing to get? ;)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Something like the Silverstone ML08 is really small and nicely set up for a HTPC. There are even smaller ML cases that don't do a graphics card.

And you could see if there's any custom mini-computer with Ryzen APU that you could buy once those hit the market.

But hang on, how do you know Ryzen APUs will be the best thing to get? ;)

Intel makes good APUs?

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

Intel makes good APUs?

The i7 5775c Iris Pro Graphics 6200

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

7 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Intel makes good APUs?

Just poking fun, Ryzen APUs will probably be the thing to get for a HTPC like this. Assuming you want to game on it cuz if it's just for movies it's overkill

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Oh that's cool, didn't think Intel had any sort of high end iGPU, but do they have any newer than Broadwell?

8 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Just poking fun, Ryzen APUs will probably be the thing to get for a HTPC like this. Assuming you want to game on it cuz if it's just for movies it's overkill

Rocket League is sort of my target. If I can get that to run at atleast 60 FPS at 1920x1080p I would consider it a milestone for any iGPU I've ever owned.

3 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Oh that's cool, didn't think Intel had any sort of high end iGPU, but do they have any newer than Broadwell?

Rocket League is sort of my target. If I can get that to run at atleast 60 FPS at 1920x1080p I would consider it a milestone for any iGPU I've ever owned.

Might want to check to see if you can already do it on today's iGPUs, since Ryzen APUs have no ETA and could take months to release

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Might want to check to see if you can already do it on today's iGPUs, since Ryzen APUs have no ETA and could take months to release

I'm not in any hurry and my RX 460 is still young. This is more of a pet project in a sort of small form factor enthusiast sort of way. Most systems going for a size as small as I am usually have external power bricks, but if I end up building my own case I will stand an SFX PSU so it's 125mm tall giving me a more tall-box shape where I can hopefully fix one of the taller low-profile coolers like the NH-L12 which if I'm not mistaken can keep cool even the high end APU minus overclocking.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Probably the Fractal Node 202 or the Silverstone ML-08. The Antek ISK-150 might also work.

If you need an AIO, you may want to consider Corsair's H7. Though honestly, unless you're overclocking, you're probably not going to need that much cooling power.

ISK300-150_Power.png

ml05-34-inside.jpg

Yeah these are the sort of things I'm looking for! The ML-05 seems way more affordable than the ISK-150, but is also a bit larger and it doesn't use proprietary PSU. CPU cooler height seems limited on both though which is why in my mind I was hoping to find a configuration with the PSU turned on its side so the case is a bit taller. But if I do decide to buy and not build it would be one of these two I think.

dan case

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

2 hours ago, Ashiella said:

Looking at it more in-depth it does look really good. I found one person who said you can play Planetside 2 at reasonable speeds with it well which I never imagined possible with an APU. 

1. Does this iGPU require fast RAM to get good performance like on AMD APUs?

2. Does Broadwell support M.2 storage? That was one thing I was looking forward to featuring in a compact build.

30 minutes ago, CatXice said:

dan case

That's way too expensive.

15 hours ago, Okjoek said:

Looking at it more in-depth it does look really good. I found one person who said you can play Planetside 2 at reasonable speeds with it well which I never imagined possible with an APU. 

1. Does this iGPU require fast RAM to get good performance like on AMD APUs?

2. Does Broadwell support M.2 storage? That was one thing I was looking forward to featuring in a compact build.

That's way too expensive.

All iGpus do.

no, you would probably have to get a pci card that's one slot.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

8 minutes ago, Ellen_orangecloud said:

Did you try looking at the Inwin Chopin? 
That thing is so small. 

Here's a picture from Bit-Tech

chopin-10-1280x1024.jpg

Nope, thanks for sharing. Is that only one stick of RAM? The cables look kind of congested going through that part of the case so it's hard to tell.