Can I simulate an i3 with my i7?

I'm getting a new pc (with lower specs than my current pc) for private use in my bedroom.

The CPU will be a huge downgrade, it's going from my current Core i7-2600k to a Pentium G4560. I was wondering if I could simulate the 2 cores, 4 threads 3.5 Ghz on my i7.

I DON'T have an overclockable motherboard (yes, that's weird because I have an unlocked CPU) but can I simulate the performance with 3rd party programs?

I want to test the performance of a simulated G4560. There aren't many (trustworthy) benchmarks of the G4560 and I just want to see how much performance I could get out of it.

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can, just go to msconfig and disable half the cores.

Will try, thanks.

Ehh, the IPC of Kaby lake is not the same as Sandy Bridge. Setting it to the same clockspeeds and threads does not simulate the G4560.

Even within the same architectures it's sketchy, since the i7 has way more available cache.

9 minutes ago, apaydinabdul said:

I'm getting a new pc (with lower specs than my current pc) for private use in my bedroom.

The CPU will be a huge downgrade, it's going from my current Core i7-2600k to a Pentium G4560. I was wondering if I could simulate the 2 cores, 4 threads 3.5 Ghz on my i7.

I DON'T have an overclockable motherboard (yes, that's weird because I have an unlocked CPU) but can I simulate the performance with 3rd party programs?

I want to test the performance of a simulated G4560. There aren't many (trustworthy) benchmarks of the G4560 and I just want to see how much performance I could get out of it.

Thanks in advance.

It won't be same, even if it has 2 core 4 threads. The i7 has way more cache (3 MB on G4560 and 8 MB on i7-2600k). The results won't be the same but it would give you kinda similar results though (Kind of).

10 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Ehh, the IPC of Kaby lake is not the same as Sandy Bridge. Setting it to the same clockspeeds and threads does not simulate the G4560.

Even within the same architectures it's sketchy, since the i7 has way more available cache.

Would it show less or more performance than the actual Pentium could perform?

5 minutes ago, NoNamer12345 said:

It won't be same, even if it has 2 core 4 threads. The i7 has way more cache (3 MB on G4560 and 8 MB on i7-2600k). The results won't be the same but it would give you kinda similar results though (Kind of).

But still, the performance I would get would be SIMILAR to a G4560, right? Or would the difference between a simualted and actial pentium be too big?

1 minute ago, apaydinabdul said:

But still, the performance I would get would be SIMILAR to a G4560, right? Or would the difference between a simualted and actial pentium be too big?

It will show you better performance than a G4560 in CPU intensive apps (Cinebench and Video Rendering) and games (GTA V and Fallout 4). You said private use in bedroom which is an HTPC so you will be fine with that CPU as it is extremely capable. I assume you are going to use it as a media playback system...

22 minutes ago, apaydinabdul said:

Much less. IPC difference is more than 30%. Plus since skylake, games with heavy single-threads use the supercore tech. You can see this in games like Far Cry 4, where the skylake is vastly superior to Haswell.

You can't simulate a G4560 on an i7-2600.