Could someone take a look at my build and maybe give some advice to a first time builder!

VicRik

Hi guys,

These are the parts I have picked right

now. It's for a 1200€ gaming rig. Any suggestions?

Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QMMcm8

Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks for your responses guys, I won't be a cheapass and get 16Gib :P

212 Evo is a budget cooler for that pricepoint, a Be Quiet Pure Rock or Shadowrock Slim are better looking and quieter alternatives. You might want to get 16GB of ram, 8GB is becoming out of date.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

just 8 GB of RAM?

I figured that RAM is really expensive right now, plus I rarely use more than 6gb om my current (prebuild) rig. I can upgrade later anyway right?

1 minute ago, VicRik said:

I figured that RAM is really expensive right now, plus I rarely use more than 6gb om my current (prebuild) rig. I can upgrade later anyway right?

That is indeed an option, just make sure you match it, it's not mandatory, but it's known to prevent issues.

1 minute ago, VicRik said:

don't expect RAM prices to drop anytime soon

might be a full year before the production settles back

5 minutes ago, VicRik said:

Yes, I'd maybe be tempted to upgrade the ssd

For games like Watchdogs 2 and such heavier titles... a 1060 isn't enough, not even for 1080p.

Games are always getting more demanding.

More = Better

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, sirromeoj said:

Yes, I'd maybe be tempted to upgrade the ssd, but it's definitely optional, also a 1070 is rather overkill for 1080p gaming, go for a 1060  

Depends, I game at 1080, on a 1080... I just really hate the idea of lowering settings just to get a desired minimum frame rate. Sure most games easily go over 60 FPS at that resolution, but there are some that dip below it... At 1080. (Excluding titles like Cities Skylines which are just CPU hungry.)

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

For games like Watchdogs 2 and such heavier titles... a 1060 isn't enough, not even for 1080p.

More = Better

That's why I have a 1070 :)

My Opinion change SSD for Samsung 850 EVO 256GB for $98 dollars, or other similar SSD... Intel SSD is overpriced.  Also unless you are desperate to build it now.. wait a month for Ryzen to come out. Might get a better deal with Ryzen or Intel prices may drop. 

5 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

More = Better

I have a 970 and Ii max out 1080 in watch dogs 2

1 minute ago, alexbianchi15 said:

i have a 970 and i max out 1080 in watch dogs

I agree that a 1070 for 1080p is too much, id say get a 1060 6gb. Get 16gb of ram and i would say that's good.

2 minutes ago, alexbianchi15 said:

I agree that a 1070 for 1080p is too much, id say get a 1060 6gb. Get 16gb of ram and i would say that's good.

I agree with this, you would save about $130.00.  You could use that for more ram or a 7700k.   

In the end it of course depends on the games that will be played, for many it will indeed be overkill.

I'm surprised that GTA V manages to get my FPS under 60 though, even with minimal anti-aliasing. (I guess it's the foliage in the mountain regions...)

20 minutes ago, zMeul said:

don't expect RAM prices to drop anytime soon

might be a full year before the production settles back

even if it takes a year, 8gb will suffice for the time being. Second PC runs 8gb and there are no issues there.

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

6 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

even if it takes a year, 8gb will suffice for the time being. Second PC runs 8gb and there are no issues there.

If you use chrome and you game at the same time its not hard to cap 8gb.

1 minute ago, alexbianchi15 said:

If you use chrome and you game at the same time its not hard to cap 8gb.

true but i do the same thing and i have no issues. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

35 minutes ago, VicRik said:

Hi guys,

These are the parts I have picked right

now. It's for a 1200€ gaming rig. Any suggestions?

Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QMMcm8

Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks for your responses guys, I won't be a cheapass and get 16Gib :P

I recommend getting a slightly bigger SSD, like 256 GB or something. 120 GB isn't a lot these days.

1 minute ago, ShrDc said:

I recommend getting a slightly bigger SSD, like 256 GB or something. 120 GB isn't a lot these days.

If it's only the os and a couple applications but no games then its no big deal. I just got a 512gb though so im not the best reference.