Should I be worried about this (PCIE 8x 1.1) readout (GPU-Z)?

TrigrH

I needed to move my GPU from the top slot so I can soon install a wireless card into my build, when I moved my GPU the bus interface readout now says (@ 8x 1.1). I ran the render test (blue question mark) and for short periods at a time the readout would change to (@ 8x 3.0) then back to 1.1.

C03ooXN.png

What the manual says:
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8) * The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

Is this behaviour normal? Should I be worried? I know that (@ 8x 3.0) is more than enough bandwidth for a 1060 but 1.1 is not enough.

Its normal

Thats just a power saving technique to reduce power when not needed.

My PCIE is 3.0 16x (1.1 when idle)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Power saving

However, why didn't you just put the wifi card in one of the two slots below?

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Ive been using wireless adapter for past 4 years. Its been performing amazingly.

Why u want to restrict your signal with wifi card ? (Placement of your desktop gas effect on the signal strength whereas with USB adapters you can place them amywhere within cables reach).

Im gonna look into the card vs adapter benchmarks if there is a difference.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

3 minutes ago, Agost said:

Power saving

However, why didn't you just put the wifi card in one of the two slots below?

Wanted the wifi card above the GPU, so its not in the way of the GPUs airflow and giving me more cable length for the antennas. 

What card is that? If you put in the lower slot you're not going to have any airflow issue and the added lenght is just ~10cm

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

• 5 years later...
On 2/3/2017 at 11:47 PM, TrigrH said:

I needed to move my GPU from the top slot so I can soon install a wireless card into my build, when I moved my GPU the bus interface readout now says (@ 8x 1.1). I ran the render test (blue question mark) and for short periods at a time the readout would change to (@ 8x 3.0) then back to 1.1.

http://i.imgur.com/C03ooXN.png

What the manual says:
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8) * The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

Is this behaviour normal? Should I be worried? I know that (@ 8x 3.0) is more than enough bandwidth for a 1060 but 1.1 is not enough.

Get rid of that gear and get a higher spec system...one that includes a m.2 wifi card slot. free's up space. even a rtx 2070 sc on a 390 or 490 will be better than what ya have.. :)

1 minute ago, nukemecca said:

Get rid of that gear and get a higher spec system...one that includes a m.2 wifi card slot. free's up space. even a rtx 2070 sc on a 390 or 490 will be better than what ya have.. 🙂

On 2/3/2017 at 9:47 PM, TrigrH said:

Thanks for the reply really useful info! ill make sure to ask you when I need a reply 5 years after i post cheers!