Connect An External PC To A Home Workgroup?

Alterlai

Hey what's up everyone.

I have just a quick question and i have been looking on the web for some time now.

I have at home a spare pc that is just used for storing movies and stuff via my home workgroup.

Now, i would like to access that pc from my school that is obviously not in my home workgroup.

I'm looking for a way to perhaps "fake" the computers to think they are both in the same workgroup or connectoin for me to be able to access the public files from my school network.

If you've got any ideas i'd love some replies :).

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

Set your self up a VPN, higher end routers support it, not sure of any software for that though.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

VPN way to go if your school network allow it. A lot of schools deny VPN traffic.

Easiest way to go would be cloud storage. Dropbox,Google Drive. Also you'll probably get faster file transfer speeds with that as well unless your home server + network has decent upload.

Set your self up a VPN, higher end routers support it, not sure of any software for that though.
He can also look into 3rd party router firmwares like DD-WRT which supports OpenVPN on certain builds.

Something like Hamachi may also work for what you are trying to do.

Yeah you would need to create a VPN, but your not going to be able to connect it to your homegroup

Yeah you would need to create a VPN, but your not going to be able to connect it to your homegroup
Yeah OP might run into issues, with the school computer already being part of a domain and not having admin priveleges.