What games do you use a controller for?

Techno_Reverend

Do you use a controller for any of the following...?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a controller for any of the following...?

• The Witcher (excluding the first)
    • Fallout (excluding games that pre-date FO3)
    • Elder Scrolls Skyrim
    • Borderlands
    • GTA (older games are configurable)
    • Pac-Man (arcade style games)
    • Indie games such as Limbo
    • Sonic (includes the 3D versions)
    • Far Cry (excluding the first)

Honestly, it depends. The only games that I ALWAYS use a controller for are racing games because you need to have analog control and I don't have room for a wheel. But I have my KB/M, an X360 controller and a Steam Controller and I just use whatever works best for the game I'm playing and where I'm playing it. I'm currently playing the first Witcher entirely with my Steam Controller.

3 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Do you really have your sig specs!? If so then why?

I went from a x58 PC with a GTX 280, have not PC gamed properly for like 4 years, and have been away from my home country working my ass off so i had some cash.

I run a 4K setup so the power is definitely used.

6900k. 64GB DDR4 3200. ASUS Rampage V Edition TEN. GTX TITAN X Pascal SLi.  

In addition to the ones I checked in the poll (The Witcher, Sanic, some indie games), I'd throw in Dark Souls, driving games including Rocket League, and some third-person action games like the Arkham series.

Personally, I cannot use a gamepad for anything that requires me to manually aim a projectile weapon often, no matter what it is. That includes things like MGSV that I think many people would prefer a pad for. I also really hate how analog stick motion looks/feels in first-person, so I always play first-person games with a mouse regardless of any aiming/shooting.

8 minutes ago, Phentos said:

It's a little obvious that if you're going to play racing and driving games on PC, you will be using a controller. Or better yet a wheel.

You'd be surprised. Several people I know play exclusively with a keyboard and mouse. One guy even plays with a keyboard and trackpad. shudder

I don't understand it myself. I mean, you shelled out for a gaming PC, but you can't drop $40 on a controller?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

If it's not point and click heavy or a first person game, I'm going for a controller more often than not. Thumb sticks are handy when you need analog input that can be constantly held. Like I refuse to play games with flight mechanics with a mouse or keyboard, my mind cannot accept and process it.

i use a controller for games like Dark Souls, Darksiders, racing games, etc. i also alternate to a controller for games that can swap between control schemes on the fly, such as GTA V. 

There are 2 main reasons why I would use a controller:

1) If a game is optimised for a controller exclusive feature (analogue stick) that cannot be replicated with KB/M

2) If a game doesn't properly support mouse and forces me to use just the keyboard (many Platformers are guilty of this)

A list of some of my favourite PC games that I prefer to play with a controller:

Alice: Madness Returns, Battleblock Theater, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, DmC: Devil May Cry, Guacamelee!, LIMBO, Mark of the Ninja, Ori and the Blind Forest, Rayman Legends, Rocket League, Sonic Generations, SpeedRunners. 

Watch dogs when driving and all racing games

Fighting games

Darksiders and similar hack n slash games (sometimes, I've mouse and keyboard to be pretty good in hack and slash games)

Platformers

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit