Minecraft server quesitons

Alright so I finally got a minecraft server opened up. Need to ask a few questions.

1. What IP do I tell my friends to connect? (Would it be like 'Public IP: Server IP" (ex. 420.420.69.69:192.168.1.5) (Thats not my public IP, sadly))

2. How much RAM should I give it? It will probably be a vanilla server with no more than 8 people at a time.

2a. How do I change the RAM? (Im pretty sure I know how)

3. How do I change the seed?

Sorry these are all pretty noob questions

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Alright so I finally got a minecraft server opened up. Need to ask a few questions.

1. What IP do I tell my friends to connect? (Would it be like 'Public IP: Server IP" (ex. 420.420.69.69:192.168.1.5) (Thats not my public IP, sadly))

2. How much RAM should I give it? It will probably be a vanilla server with no more than 8 people at a time.

Public IP, so 69.69.69.69.

Give it 2 or 4 GB memory. Change the memory with -Xms and -Xmx I think

My native language is C++

1 minute ago, tt2468 said:

Public IP, so 69.69.69.69.

Give it 2 or 4 GB memory. Change the memory with -Xms and -Xmx I think

You know the difference in Xmx and Xms?

And just my public IP?

Also check my edit. (#3)

5 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

It would be your public IP and the port number associated with the server (you'd create this during the port forward process). 

So, you could have 85.202.18.163:5233 which is your public IP first, then port number (in this example, 5233)

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It would be your public IP and the port number associated with the server (you'd create this during the port forward process). 

So, you could have 85.202.18.163:5233 which is your public IP first, then port number. 

So for me it would be 420.420.69.69:25565 ?

Sorry just want to verify

2 minutes ago, elpiop said:

xmx is the maximum memory allocation. xms in the initial allocation.

OK thanks.

You know how to change the seed?

2 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Yes. And to change the seed you need to edit level-seed in the server.properties file, and then delete the current world if you already generated one and run the server again.

1 minute ago, elpiop said:

Yes. And to change the seed you need to edit it in the server.properties file, and then delete the current world and run the server again.

Ok thanks

5 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Yeah, that would be the structure of it. 25565 is the default port for MC, but you don't have to use it. It still requires the port to be forwarded, then when users connect to the server, they don't have to enter the port. If you want to use your own designated port for whatever reason, the process is the same, but people will need to enter the port number after the IP address. You can set up a way for people to connect via a URL by using Dynamic DNS (a service like Noip, DuckDNS, DynDNS etc. will allow you to set it up) rather than users needing to know your IP address and open port. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yeah, that would be the structure of it. 25565 is the default port for MC, but you don't have to use it. It still requires the port to be forwarded, then when users connect to the server, they don't have to enter the port. If you want to use your own designated port for whatever reason, the process is the same, but people will need to enter the port number after the IP address. You can set up a way for people to connect via a URL by using Dynamic DNS (a service like Noip, DuckDNS, DynDNS etc. will allow you to set it up) rather than users needing to know your IP address and open port. 

Got it. Thanks

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Which of those things would you recommend I use?

I looked and DuckDNS has a PfSense option which is what I use

14 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Which of those things would you recommend I use?

I looked and DuckDNS has a PfSense option which is what I use

Any of those will do. Just go for the one you like the look of, they all do the same thing.