Choosing a Razer Alternative

Hi all, remember me? (okay maybe not)

I somehow dug myself a hole. Back in November, I asked in the community here what would be a solid portable gaming computer? See, when I asked that I was just searching for some options, and see what everyone thought. After some mulling I bit the bullet and chose Razer, cause you know, they've got some expertise behind their backs?

Well apparently I ended up with some crap unit, cause as I am typing right now it's on its way back to the factory to get some diagnostics and repair done. Don't even get me started haha.

Anywho, after all that headache and nonsense, I come here again, seeking some assistance.

What is a proper reliable, gaming (and multipurpose) laptop?

Dell/Alienware, possibly Lenovo or HP are the ones I would buy from if I had to get a gaming laptop. Before someone with ten fedoras on and a katana to my back telling me "heh, nothing personal, kid" comes in to tell me how bad Alienware is, please don't. No company is going to have a good reputation for gaming laptops. Everyone gawks at paying a high price for a gaming laptop, so you got what you wished for.

Even then, I really hate the design direction of these freaking "gaming laptops" that I just refuse to even own one. /rant

3 minutes ago, arxiSigma said:

-snip-

Do you want an alien all crazy looking monstrous laptop with "gaming" label all over it or something clean and simple that can be brought to college or work without issues as it has a more clean/professional look?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Budget? Resolution?

Since you went with a Razer, if you're not gaming too hard the XPS 15 is great and in the same ultrabook-y style. Otherwise, there's the GE62VR from MSI

Not really free though

So true it hurts

40 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Budget? Resolution?

Since you went with a Razer, if you're not gaming too hard the XPS 15 is great and in the same ultrabook-y style. Otherwise, there's the GE62VR from MSI

Indeed, I was looking for something portable. So those might be a good alternative at this point...

*cough cough budget restraints cough cough*

I've been told the gs63vr might be a good idea? Is it?

@Princess Cadence yes, that'd be nice- trying to keep it a bit subtle.

@kloaked arent the alienwares a bit...high priced for what they do..?

5 minutes ago, arxiSigma said:

I've been told the gs63vr might be a good idea? Is it?

it's fine if you can deal with the 3.5 hour battery life. http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-16s-1060-gs63vr-custom-built-gaming-laptop-pc.html. It's a GS63VR whitebook. No god awful msi branding. You can opt for a fully black no logo no branding option in the config. Also, get the liquid metal repaste straight from the retailer. This thin notebook really really needs it and benefits from it. 

7 minutes ago, arxiSigma said:

arent the alienwares a bit...high priced for what they do..?

They are overpriced spec to spec to their competitors. They are perfectly capable laptops after a TON of fixes. I own one. Took a day off work to fix this mess. There are so many things wrong with it it's not even funny. When fully fixed, it's probably the best BGA laptop, but it's still overpriced. Only get one for the right price and be willing to fix it. 

I definitely remembering telling you not to get Razer or Aorus LOL. Welcome to the light side now after experiencing their god awful issues. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

1 hour ago, arxiSigma said:

What is a proper reliable, gaming (and multipurpose) laptop?

Gonna assume you also mean "well-cooled" and your options are MSI GS/GT series and Clevo models.

Pretty much it.

Just get a P650HP6 from LPC-Digital or HIDevolution (EVOC series), or a GS63VR from... wherever, really.

Edit: I went back and checked. We basically barreled into you to not pick Razer, and to choose a MSI or a Clevo back then. You still chose a Razer. You basically looked for what you got, OP. I know for a fact (because the thread is still there) that you were told of ridiculous issues.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

2 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

GS63VR from... wherever, really.

Get the whitebook version from HID :D the normal one has WAY too much ugly ass branding. 

Laptop Main

I have a Gigabyte p55w v6 and its a good laptop for the money, I got it for around $1k USD, although I believe it was on sale for Christmas. It actually replaced my desktop.... grades were bad... although I did replace the dvd drive with a 750 gb Mx300 ssd and a caddy for it. They already have the new version out though with the kaby lake cpus, but other than that its the same, 1060 gpu, 16 gb or memory, m.2 ssd, 1 tb hdd. My only gripe with it is it only has 3 usb ports, fixed that with a usb hub, and it could have better cooling, Other than that though its a good laptop for the price

Edit: Here is a link to the laptop https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233194&cm_re=gigabyte-_-34-233-194-_-Product

Edited by Shodapop98
Adding a link

College student getting his Information Systems Degree, Furry, Gamer, Amateur Poet

Luna

Intel Core i9 7940x, Custom Water Loop, EVGA x299 Micro, 4x8 GB kit of Gskill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000, Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti, 3 Tb's of SSD storage, 5TB HDD, 850 Watt EVGA Supernova g3, all inside a black and purple r1 from Parvum Systems

Laptops:

Anubis: Powerspec 1510 (sager NP8157)

Lucario: Razer Blade Stealth v4 (base model) this is my daily driver

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

Gonna assume you also mean "well-cooled" and your options are MSI GS/GT series and Clevo models.

Pretty much it.

Just get a P650HP6 from LPC-Digital or HIDevolution (EVOC series), or a GS63VR from... wherever, really.

Edit: I went back and checked. We basically barreled into you to not pick Razer, and to choose a MSI or a Clevo back then. You still chose a Razer. You basically looked for what you got, OP. I know for a fact (because the thread is still there) that you were told of ridiculous issues.

& @pendragon yeah im dumb, why you gotta drive it in like that sobs i just want a reliable computer okay

hmm

the gs63vr is being the general census this time around... 

2 minutes ago, arxiSigma said:

btw- is Aorus any good?

nvm lmao that things way outta my budget

1 minute ago, arxiSigma said:

btw- is Aorus any good?

Too hot and loud for every day use. So I've heard at least. :P I thought it handled temps well. NBC's reviews are stupidly hit-end scenarios for their stress tests so... their idea of what a 'stress test' is is kinda meh.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

& @pendragon yeah im dumb, why you gotta drive it in like that sobs i just want a reliable computer okay

hmm

the gs63vr is being the general census this time around... 

It's because you didn't listen. There's a big difference between my attitude toward someone who doesn't know, and someone who chose to disregard information.

Anyway... the P6 models are, without a shadow of a doubt, the best of the lighter models. Either a P670Hx or P650Hx. The MSI is simply an alternative that functions well enough, but it is by no means what I consider preferable. Prema mod will be out soon for the P6 models for places like LPC-Digital and HIDevolution, which makes the MSI only preferable in two situations, period.

The first situation is that the GS73VR has a 120Hz panel option, that the P670Hx does not, and you want this 120Hz panel.

The second situation is that you REALLY want a thinner laptop, and the MSI models are a little bit thinner.

That's basically it. 

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

4 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

It's because you didn't listen. There's a big difference between my attitude toward someone who doesn't know, and someone who chose to disregard information.

Anyway... the P6 models are, without a shadow of a doubt, the best of the lighter models. Either a P670Hx or P650Hx. The MSI is simply an alternative that functions well enough, but it is by no means what I consider preferable. Prema mod will be out soon for the P6 models for places like LPC-Digital and HIDevolution, which makes the MSI only preferable in two situations, period.

The first situation is that the GS73VR has a 120Hz panel option, that the P670Hx does not, and you want this 120Hz panel.

The second situation is that you REALLY want a thinner laptop, and the MSI models are a little bit thinner.

That's basically it. 

No no, I did listen, you dont know that. I just happened to stumble across a good deal i couldnt refuse at the time. (boy i regret that now lmao) 

If I were to be absolutely ignorant, why would I have asked here in the first place??

Anywho, thanks for your input again guys. I think I'll have something from MSI. 

If I were to be absolutely ignorant, why would I have asked here in the first place??

Ignorance is lack of knowledge, so that's exactly when someone should ask, though =D

39 minutes ago, arxiSigma said:

Anywho, thanks for your input again guys. I think I'll have something from MSI. 

Oh,

btw how is the GS43VR? Why arent people talking about this one?

I'd go with the Gigabyte Aero over the GS43VR. Just a nicer look and feel, and much better battery.

3 hours ago, Pendragon said:

it's fine if you can deal with the 3.5 hour battery life. http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-16s-1060-gs63vr-custom-built-gaming-laptop-pc.html. It's a GS63VR whitebook. No god awful msi branding. You can opt for a fully black no logo no branding option in the config. Also, get the liquid metal repaste straight from the retailer. This thin notebook really really needs it and benefits from it. 

They are overpriced spec to spec to their competitors. They are perfectly capable laptops after a TON of fixes. I own one. Took a day off work to fix this mess. There are so many things wrong with it it's not even funny. When fully fixed, it's probably the best BGA laptop, but it's still overpriced. Only get one for the right price and be willing to fix it. 

I definitely remembering telling you not to get Razer or Aorus LOL. Welcome to the light side now after experiencing their god awful issues. 

What reliability issues do the Aorus machines have?  From what I can tell, they work far far better than Razer machines.  I'm aware of PWM on the 1620p display, but otherwise temps are pretty consistent compared to a lot of other brands (upper 70s to low 80s).  

Gigabyte Aero is also not my pick if your looking for something to handle high load well.

X99 build!  Asus X99-A | i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB RAM | Gigbyte G1 980 Ti sli | 250 + 500GB 850 Evo + 1TB MX300| 1TB WD Blue | Corsair 450D
Clevo P650RS i7 6820hk | GTX 1070 | 16GB RAM | 4K PLS Display | 1TB Sandisk Ultra II
Dell Latitude E6430 i7 3720qm | 6GB RAM | Nvidia Quadro NVS 5200m | 128gb ssd + 320GB hdd
Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps
Headphone Set Up Sennheiser HD800 | Sennheiser ie800 | Chord Mojo

41 minutes ago, Galm said:

What reliability issues do the Aorus machines have?

I saw in the earlier generations there were alot of manufacturing imperfections. Things wouldn't fit perfectly. This was even true for the v5 generations because I was interested in the 980m version (one of the few thin 980m alots that could hold temps well), and I was browsing through NBR and checking it out in actual stores. Manufacturing imperfections existed plenty, specifically the bloody screen. Things got better in the v6 gen because they kept basically the same chassis, so yes it's getting better, but no it's not tier 1 yet. Not manufacturing defects like AW's disgusting 3 heatsink screw design but like the parts not fitting together. 

Also, louder than a turbine. That was offsetting. Aorus' are loud as RBs. 

2 hours ago, arxiSigma said:

why you gotta drive it in like that sobs i just want a reliable computer okay

LOL, didn't mean to, I just mean welcome to understanding what you should never buy and not believe traditional reviews section of the internet. God there are too many praises for the RBs.

Laptop Main

alright. im following the census this time. 

two options. 

Msi gs43vr

Msi gs63vr

any significant differences?

2 hours ago, arxiSigma said:

alright. im following the census this time. 

two options. 

Msi gs43vr

Msi gs63vr

any significant differences?

the screen size and the GS43vr has a heat pipe running over the wireless card, which isn't a good thing.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.