why cant ram be simple?

back when i was using an amd setup, ive had this 1 stick of ram, its been through 2 amd boards and 2 intel boards,
then when i go to put it in my second computer that im using at a server its like nope this board isnt compatable with me and you just need to deal with it : (

its just a generic crucial stick.

but why cant ram just be simple like if it fits it works

"server" specs if any 1 is wondering
gigabyte z77 d3h rev 1.1
i5 3570 OC 4.6  -- i dont even know how i manage that but im fine with it
intel 120gb ssd + an old ish 500gb
gt 520 display adapter
2x 4gb kingston sticks at 1333

5 minutes ago, star_weaver said:

back when i was using an amd setup, ive had this 1 stick of ram, its been through 2 amd boards and 2 intel boards,
then when i go to put it in my second computer that im using at a server its like nope this board isnt compatable with me and you just need to deal with it : (

its just a generic crucial stick.

"server" specs if any 1 is wondering
gigabyte z77 d3h rev 1.1
i5 3570 OC 4.6  -- i dont even know how i manage that but im fine with it
intel 120gb ssd + an old ish 500gb
gt 520 display adapter
2x 4gb kingston sticks at 1333

RAM is relatively simple. Generally, servers want ECC RAM. ECC is used for parity checks to make sure the data isn't corrupted in storage. Its a server thing.

Otherwise, you've check OC. It could be damaged at this point. It's old enough. Time to RIP, and move on?

Why do have an OC on a server?? 

As for RAM, ty different slots... otherwise I dunno

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Why do have an OC on a server?? 

As for RAM, ty different slots... otherwise I dunno

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

RAM is relatively simple. Generally, servers want ECC RAM. ECC is used for parity checks to make sure the data isn't corrupted in storage. Its a server thing.

its not a server in the sense its just a computer ive gotten from a family member that im using as a server, all the stuff is consumer grade

3 minutes ago, star_weaver said:

its not a server in the sense its just a computer ive gotten from a family member that im using as a server, all the stuff is consumer grade

I would guess your stick finally died.

But seeing that you're using this as a server, I would definitely not use old hardware. You're just asking for a memdump at some point, crashing your server, and irritating you.

RAM is pretty simple. But one thing I didn't think to ask until now, is what frequency is this old RAM? And is it supported by your MB? What is the info on the sticker? Either DDR3-xxxx, PC-xxxxx, or it might have the frequency right on it.

1600 udimm
and its just for a couple game servers to play on with friends and testing stuff so its not that important if it crashes or dies, only have it to take a load of my main

and i literilly pulled it out when i sold off my last main build and a day later i was asked if i wanted the spare computer as they had no use for it

16 minutes ago, star_weaver said:

Because it's actually really advanced technology. Consider that when pcs were first brought to the market the cpu had a direct connection to the ram and they worked in sync. Eventually cpus became too fast for memory to keep up and they had to separate the two more and more with hardware abstractions like the chipset, which adds enormous amounts of complexity to the whole thing. Nowadays in most cases if it fits it works, but it's not guaranteed and it shouldn't be taken for granted.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*