Is Lumberyard any good?

Aaronius_Leonius

I am working on a game and was originally going to use Unreal Engine. I then found out you have to pay royalties after you make a certain amount off your game. That's retarded becuase it is public for anyone to use and you shouldn't have to pay for open source software if it is available to download for free. I understand they have to make money somehow but this is not how they should do it in my opinion. My friend told me about lumberyard so I looked at it and it seems like a decent engine but I would like to hear from people who actually use it. Is it any good, how good is shader support and is it a good one to use for a racing game (It could be a problem if I have it already but It is made for fps/moba) and is it as much of a hard drive hog as unreal engine was? Probably is but I still would be happy to know. Thanks.

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

It's literally CryEngine with Amazon AWS networking support integrated.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Well I was planning on using AWS for the multiplayer servers anyways so it seems like a good idea.

2 minutes ago, Coombzy said:

Lumberyard is the engine Star Citizen changed to, I would assume with Amazon behind it the support and features would be fairly good.

Star citizen? It is a pretty stable game (for me) and I do agree, I would expect the support to be good so I might go for it. Still need to do research. I am also still worried about making a racing game on it because I am not sure how well it supports that. Maybe star citezen has something like that but I haven't played through it enough.

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

6 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

atleast amazon pays its employees

1 hour ago, AA-RonRosen said:

That's retarded becuase it is public for anyone to use and you shouldn't have to pay for open source software if it is available to download for free.

i dont think its open source. i think your confusing it for the open source quake engine that ID games released

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

14 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i dont think its open source. i think your confusing it for the open source quake engine that ID games released

It's not open source but they do give you the full source and allow you to make modifications.

19 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

5 minutes ago, fizzlesticks said:

It's not open source but they do give you the full source and allow you to make modifications.

I thought it was. Well that makes me want to use it even less because I like open source. Still, if anyone can download it, there shouldn't be royalties. 

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

17 minutes ago, fizzlesticks said:

in that case it is open source but not gratis, unless for educational & hobby use

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

in that case it is open source but not gratis, unless for educational & hobby use

Actually, that's a great business model because anyone can play with it and even release their game but after they make enough royalties, they pay royalties after they make $3000. If I didn't like money so much, I would actually not mind paying the royalties. 

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

48 minutes ago, Yamoto42 said:

I'm sure they like money too.  It is probably why they started a business and not a charity.

Yeah. Apple probably likes money a lot more but I actually get why they have that business model now. People can play with it and if they want to release a free to play game, they can without paying royalties and if they want to make money, they can pay after they make $3000. I am still looking into lumberyard because I don't want to be stuck paying royalties if I eventually stop making games.

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

On 30/01/2017 at 2:13 PM, AA-RonRosen said:

I don't want to be stuck paying royalties if I eventually stop making games.

Isn't unreal engine royalties literally just a percentage of your revenue, i.e. if you stop getting revenue, you stop paying royalties?

6 minutes ago, Fourthdwarf said:

Isn't unreal engine royalties literally just a percentage of your revenue, i.e. if you stop getting revenue, you stop paying royalties?

Yes.

12 minutes ago, Fourthdwarf said:

5 minutes ago, fizzlesticks said:

Yes.

I thought I would be stuck with it. It is only 3% of what I make but as a hobbyist, I would prefer to be able to not have to make sure I have enough left to pay the royalties each month.

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

2 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

I thought I would be stuck with it. It is only 3% of what I make but as a hobbyist, I would prefer to be able to not have to make sure I have enough left to pay the royalties each month.

Anything you do make you technically have to set aside some for taxes anyway.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Anything you do make you technically have to set aside some for taxes anyway.

I'm a student so I don't need to pay taxes yet. I would rather not spend money I don't have to so I will likely go for lumberyard. 

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

1 minute ago, AA-RonRosen said:

I'm a student so I don't need to pay taxes yet. I would rather not spend money I don't have to so I will likely go for lumberyard. 

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p929/ar02.html You might want to make sure about that.

But anyway, whatever floats your boat. Even if you're not making money off it, they're not going to go after you for money.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p929/ar02.html You might want to make sure about that.

But anyway, whatever floats your boat. Even if you're not making money off it, they're not going to go after you for money.

True, If I make money off of it I will have to pay tax :(. Thanks for reminding me of that.

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

1 minute ago, AA-RonRosen said:

True, If I make money off of it I will have to pay tax :(. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Realistically speaking, because the video game market is such a savage place, you should release your game either for free first (like Cave Story) or with a proof of concept (like Superhot) before jumping right into the prospect of making money.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Realistically speaking, because the video game market is such a savage place, you should release your game either for free first (like Cave Story) or with a proof of concept (like Superhot) before jumping right into the prospect of making money.

Ok. I will look into that.

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):