Ingest Transcoding Server/NAS

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice, I need a server/nas solution for our church's video production department. We currently have a Synology NAS with about 36TB of stotgage and we just copy files we need over standard gigabit network. and edit off local SSDs. This has been fine until now using the compressed codecs off the cameras but we have started using broadcast cameras and recording to BlackMagic SSD recorders in ProRes so moving files around and working with such large files is just not working for us. 
Originally we were just looking at upgrading to a more powerful synology NAS with 10Gbps ethernet but now I don't think even that is enough. We edit on Windows and I'm not sure if we should start transcoding into a different codec and maybe even use proxy files?

Id like to have a system where after recording finishes we move all the SSDs into a dock or a server and it automatically copies, transcodes and archives everything ready to start editing during the week. 

Should we look at building an all in one server and storage solution and run 10gb back to the edit machines?

Any advice on hardware, software, codecs for windows (PremiereCC) that will help up streamline our processes would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Id try just editing the prores stuff first, prores should work fine, but depends on the bitrate.

You can do what you want with windows server and a bit of scripting.

On 1/28/2017 at 5:23 PM, RohanWright said:

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice, I need a server/nas solution for our church's video production department. We currently have a Synology NAS with about 36TB of stotgage and we just copy files we need over standard gigabit network. and edit off local SSDs. This has been fine until now using the compressed codecs off the cameras but we have started using broadcast cameras and recording to BlackMagic SSD recorders in ProRes so moving files around and working with such large files is just not working for us. 
Originally we were just looking at upgrading to a more powerful synology NAS with 10Gbps ethernet but now I don't think even that is enough. We edit on Windows and I'm not sure if we should start transcoding into a different codec and maybe even use proxy files?

Id like to have a system where after recording finishes we move all the SSDs into a dock or a server and it automatically copies, transcodes and archives everything ready to start editing during the week. 

Should we look at building an all in one server and storage solution and run 10gb back to the edit machines?

Any advice on hardware, software, codecs for windows (PremiereCC) that will help up streamline our processes would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1. Acquire a somewhat powerful PC that has like an i5 or i7 and integrated graphics in it (Dedicated graphics are not required).
  2. Load OBS Studio onto it, and put a blackmagic decklink mini recorder or intensity pro 4k in it.
  3. Connect your program feed to the card, and load it as a source in OBS Studio.
  4. Map the synology to a drive letter in windows.
  5. In the OBS Studio settings, set the record location to that mapped drive.
  6. Set misc. other settings (The software is really simple to use. You just have to use your critical thinking skills to figure out what each function does is).

I would set the record bitrate to something like 15000 or 25000 Kbps for the best quality. This setup would allow you to record and at the same time transcode your program feed to the synology for safe keeping. If you want specific help with this, PM me.

My native language is C++

4 hours ago, tt2468 said:
  1. Acquire a somewhat powerful PC that has like an i5 or i7 and integrated graphics in it (Dedicated graphics are not required).
  2. Load OBS Studio onto it, and put a blackmagic decklink mini recorder or intensity pro 4k in it.
  3. Connect your program feed to the card, and load it as a source in OBS Studio.
  4. Map the synology to a drive letter in windows.
  5. In the OBS Studio settings, set the record location to that mapped drive.
  6. Set misc. other settings (The software is really simple to use. You just have to use your critical thinking skills to figure out what each function does is).

I would set the record bitrate to something like 15000 or 25000 Kbps for the best quality. This setup would allow you to record and at the same time transcode your program feed to the synology for safe keeping. If you want specific help with this, PM me.

I did look at OBS at one point but I'm not keen on a software recording solution, I've always had reliability issues with software capture. Also we record each camera individually so at the moment we need min 4 streams, up to 8, Hence the BMD SSD recorders are the most cost effective solution.

Just now, RohanWright said:

I did look at OBS at one point but I'm not keen on a software recording solution, I've always had reliability issues with software capture. Also we record each camera individually so at the moment we need min 4 streams, up to 8, Hence the BMD SSD recorders are the most cost effective solution.

Then I'm sorry, you're out of luck one the live recording thing.

My native language is C++