1440p Monitor Opinion Wanted

TheHorse9

Hi recently i have been looking at purchasing a new 1440p Monitor.

Ive been looking at either

Acer XB271HU

or

Asus PG279Q

I just wanted to hear others opinions on these, or will gladly take suggestions of other monitors.

Can't wrong with either of those. 

and since you've asked for alternatives..

Asus PG278Q 

Asus MG278Q freesync

Asus MG279Q freesync 

Pixio PX277

Benq / Zowie XL2730 

Dell SD2416DG / SD2716DG 

Viewsonic XG2703-GS

I would go for the PG279Q because i don't like the Acer Predator design, although, these are among the "best" gaming monitores you can buy.

You can look for the AOC Agon AG271QG, which has lower price and apparently better color accuracy with almost same specs.

44 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

Can't wrong with either of those. 

and since you've asked for alternatives..

Asus PG278Q 

Asus MG278Q freesync

Asus MG279Q freesync 

Pixio PX277

Benq / Zowie XL2730 

Dell SD2416DG / SD2716DG 

Viewsonic XG2703-GS

These monitors listed above are in general good options, but some of them lack IPS (except the MG279Q, XG2703 and PX277), so check if IPS would be a big deal for you (for most gamers it isn't).

You should also look for G-Sync if you got NVIDIA card or FreeSync for AMD Cards. (S2417DG and S2716DG both have G-Sync)

8 hours ago, ltfujiwara said:

I would go for the PG279Q because i don't like the Acer Predator design, although, these are among the "best" gaming monitores you can buy.

You can look for the AOC Agon AG271QG, which has lower price and apparently better color accuracy with almost same specs.

These monitors listed above are in general good options, but some of them lack IPS (except the MG279Q, XG2703 and PX277), so check if IPS would be a big deal for you (for most gamers it isn't).

You should also look for G-Sync if you got NVIDIA card or FreeSync for AMD Cards. (S2417DG and S2716DG both have G-Sync)

One concern i have is I'm wondering if the difference in response time between TN and IPS makes much of noticeable difference for gaming?

11 hours ago, ltfujiwara said:

i am aware that some of those are TN. honestly the only one that's worth from a TN panel is the Dell monitor, since it goes on sale quite regularly. plus Dell has a solid CS from what i've heard.  

and IPS can be a decent deal for gamers. you'll have to factor in response times but the monitors i have picked out previously have a fast enough response time that it isn't worth worrying about. 

3 hours ago, TheHorse9 said:

One concern i have is I'm wondering if the difference in response time between TN and IPS makes much of noticeable difference for gaming?

not really. manufacturer-reported response times are redundant because in reality the numbers can vary. it's best to find a reputable review and check response times. 

with that said TN is usually faster than IPS, but it doesn't mean IPS can't be fast. the IPS gaming monitors i've listed above are just as fast. but will you notice it? i guess if you have a refined muscle memory of detecting small milliseconds' worth of delay. remember that there's still a button-to-pixel lag. 

13 hours ago, TheHorse9 said:

Hi recently i have been looking at purchasing a new 1440p Monitor.

Ive been looking at either

Acer XB271HU

or

Asus PG279Q

I just wanted to hear others opinions on these, or will gladly take suggestions of other monitors.

I'm in the same position as the OP on both of these monitors, from what I've found out, both monitors have the same panels so you could essentially get the same image quality from both monitors. ASUS seem to have problems with QC in that they seem to have bad BLB in comparison to the ACER, it's all over the internet. Are you looking for anything other than 1440p? IPS? G-Sync?

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic