Phones will have double the pixels and foldable screens by 2015

TopWargamer

http://gizmodo.com/samsung-our-devices-will-have-folding-displays-by-2015-1459324336

(Hey I can quote on my phone now since Firefox's copy and paste system isn't messed up.)

Speaking at Samsung's Analyst Day this week, the company announced that it'll bring fully-foldable screens to the market "some time in 2015". That kind of bendable display will, apparently, find its way into both normal devices like phones and tablets, as well as the new rash of wearable tech, like the firm's Galaxy Gear.

[T]he display category was highlighted by the promise of 560ppi AMOLED panels for phones. Combine that with the 1440p resolution and you get a 5.2-inch handset — the same dimensions as on LG's 1080p G2, but with 78 percent more pixels. And if that's not enough, we're told to look forward to 4K resolutions — also known as Ultra HD or 3840 x 2160 — in 2015.

2015 isn't too awfully far away, so I'm glad that we'll be getting this technology as soon as then. While I am for phones with more pixels in them, phone makers, like Samsung in this case, are really going to have to beef up the batteries.

But foldable phones? That sounds like a design nightmare, but it'll be very cool if Samsung can pull it off, which they should be able to. Image this technology in TVs/monitors...aw...do want.

COMIC SANS

4K in a 5" phone to me seems like a waste of battery. I feel the Moto X is a great example of this. 4K in a tablet however seems like something I would like to see. 

Spoiler

While I love the end result of samsung products. Apple always does it better their first time, so I'll be looking forward to their second or third iteration on the product.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4K in a 10" would be the max, FHD is the max for phone IMO, no need to go overkill when the human eye cant see the difference

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Damnit why isn't this tech going to desktops? Not to mention you can't tell pixels apart now, why do you need to go any higher?

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

I think higher resolutions aren't really necessary on mobile phones however I do want tablets to have astonishing vibrancy, pixel resolution and density PPI.

If someone was to manufacture a 2.5KSuper IPS os PLS OLED display I'm sold.

Although I have an idea for the next phone display technology

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Also that booklet design I think samsung was listening to me during my AS-Level Product design class I had a design clearly the same :( Those thieves -.-

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

4K in a 10" would be the max, FHD is the max for phone IMO, no need to go overkill when the human eye cant see the difference

While I sort of agree, I think 4k is the end result for all mobile devices tablets and phones and phablets. As per smaller monitors and laptops I'd say 8k is where things will slow down.. a LOT.. Like longer then its taken to get an affordable 4k monitor. Tvs.. I have no idea when they'll stop, bigger numbers sound better to everyone.

Inb4 16K Resolution 50inch Tvs for 500million dollars.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=/ Wake me up when the 16k 32 inch, bendable, non degrading oled, gsync, 300hz, foldable, zero bezel, 3d, adjustable wireless desktop monitors are out.

We need these small, high res, high pixel density displays to be mass produced for phones, because that way they become less expenisve, bringing us closer to an oculus rift with 4K res.

just my €0,02 ;)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Yea buddy I can upgrade in November 2014 I'm going to wait 6 months and get me one of these

I'll say it time and time again. The sweet spot for a phone is a 4" 720p screen with outstanding battery life. 1080p is completely overrated on smaller screens (under 10"), not to mention a pointless battery hog.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Samsung should stick to 1080p resolution and work on having an actual full RGB subpixel arrangement, not just constantly pump up the resolution.

Argh. Noooo.

350ppi is the point at which the human eye can no longer distinguish between individual pixels when the screen is held at a typical distance from one's face. 400ppi would make it impossible to distinguish individual pixels even when held directly in front of one's face. Anything higher is completely and utterly pointless - no-one can see an improvement, and any improvement they claim to see is an illusion. A 5" phone with a 400ppi screen next to a 5" phone with a 3300ppi screen will look identical to us.

They should focus on more important things - reducing heat production and improving heat dissipation, increasing lifespan, improving colour accuracy, increasing maximum brightness, decreasing power consumption and lowering production costs.

Our screens are now at a more than acceptable resolution. It's time to move on to improving things that are significantly more important and beneficial for users.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Argh. Noooo.

350ppi is the point at which the human eye can no longer distinguish between individual pixels when the screen is held at a typical distance from one's face. 400ppi would make it impossible to distinguish individual pixels even when held directly in front of one's face. Anything higher is completely and utterly pointless - no-one can see an improvement, and any improvement they claim to see is an illusion. A 5" phone with a 400ppi screen next to a 5" phone with a 3300ppi screen will look identical to us.

They should focus on more important things - reducing heat production and improving heat dissipation, increasing lifespan, improving colour accuracy, increasing maximum brightness, decreasing power consumption and lowering production costs.

Our screens are now at a more than acceptable resolution. It's time to move on to improving things that are significantly more important and beneficial for users.

Or what's most important make new batteries that hold longer then a Day!!!!!!

5 Years ago a phone was able to live for almost a week without chraging it.

RTX2070OC 

When we can get a 1600p or higher screen in a proper form factor (24" or higher) for less than 300 dollars, I'll start caring. Until then the screen manufacturers deserve no praise for not innovating enough. The technology is there. All they have to do is stick a reasonable price tag on it. Nobody cares about "4k gaming" when a 4k screen costs 4k dollars.

The screen isn't what needs changing in phones. The battery is. Make it actually last a day. Or maybe longer. Remember when you could leave your phone off the charger for a week and still be able to use it?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Two words: Bragging rights

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

When we can get a 1600p or higher screen in a proper form factor (24" or higher) for less than 300 dollars, I'll start caring. Until then the screen manufacturers deserve no praise for not innovating enough. The technology is there. All they have to do is stick a reasonable price tag on it. Nobody cares about "4k gaming" when a 4k screen costs 4k dollars.

We can expect something like this to happen after Philips/LG release their 4K 24" monitor.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

We can expect something like this to happen after Philips/LG release their 4K 24" monitor.

Which they could have done 2 years ago, but didn't. And it'll still cost a thousand dollars.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Damnit why isn't this tech going to desktops? Not to mention you can't tell pixels apart now, why do you need to go any higher?

Because numbers. People love numbers.

Why they don't try to get a better battery life instead of doubling pixels.. I want a Smartphone that can last a few days under heavy usage without charging