Transparent Optical Drive Mod [Edited Title]

JohnnyGrey

Ever since I migrated to the Corsair Air 240 late last year, I haven't used my BluRay burner. The other night I decided to go out in the garage to my old case and grab it to start ripping some DVDs. This got me thinking, I'd like to use it a little more permanently as an external drive, but the only external enclosure I've found is this Vantec one, and is insanely overpriced. Has anyone come up with a cheap, yet effective solution? Right now I have it hooked up to the internal connectors of my Sabrent 3.5" enclosure temporarily. I was even thinking of having the bare drive on the desk but propped up on some feet attached to the eight mounting holes. I suppose I could always buy some cheap rubber feet at a local store, but I'd like it to look sort of elegant. Any ideas?

IMG_20170126_225231303.jpg

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

the first solution i can think of is one of these:

usb-to-sata-adapter.gif

and then just pick up some adhesive rubber feet (and maybe a can of paint) from the DIY store.

if you're feeling a bit adventurous, optical drives usually disassemble rather easy, at least to the point you have the ugly metal shell in your hands, with some very accurate painters tape "artwork" you can actually spraypaint around the labels, if you somehow feel like you want to keep those :P

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

usb-to-sata-adapter.gif

and then just pick up some adhesive rubber feet (and maybe a can of paint) from the DIY store.

if you're feeling a bit adventurous, optical drives usually disassemble rather easy, at least to the point you have the ugly metal shell in your hands, with some very accurate painters tape "artwork" you can actually spraypaint around the labels, if you somehow feel like you want to keep those :P

Do you know if a USB 3.0 port can provide enough power for a full-sized internal BluRay Burner? And your point about the casing got me thinking... Assuming the workings of the internals don't require the top cover, I could always remove it and replace it with some plexi or something. From what I remember about older CD-ROM's, I do believe the magnetic piece is suspended by the top cover, and the whole motor/laser assembly gets lifted up into that suspended magnetic piece.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
  • W11Pro

Media Server

• Unraid 6.9.2
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

1 minute ago, JohnnyGrey said:

Do you know if a USB 3.0 port can provide enough power for a full-sized internal BluRay Burner? And your point about the casing got me thinking... Assuming the workings of the internals don't require the top cover, I could always remove it and replace it with some plexi or something. From what I remember about older CD-ROM's, I do believe the magnetic piece is suspended by the top cover, and the whole motor/laser assembly gets lifted up into that suspended magnetic piece.

considering power draw (it's 6AM, i didnt sleep :D) you may probably be better getting one of those things that also have a 12V power brick

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Why not get some long SATA extensions cable and wire it around, I am sure the expansion slot at the back of the case can allow some cables to go through?

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Why not get some long SATA extensions cable and wire it around, I am sure the expansion slot at the back of the case can allow some cables to go through?

because that's not very pretty, as well as *officially* sata being limited to 1 meter.

I have a sata to usb3 adapter that also has a 12v brick, would look ok like that. I suggest adding rubber feet as you said, you can get replacement ones for laptops and whatnot on ebay for pretty cheap. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

13 minutes ago, manikyath said:

considering power draw (it's 6AM, i didnt sleep :D) you may probably be better getting one of those things that also have a 12V power brick

25 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

My ASUS motherboard has eSATA, so I can just pick up an eSATA to SATA cable off Amazon. Then I'll have to find someway to power it. 

That's probably what I'll have to do.

I disassembled the drive, and the magnetic piece is indeed suspended from the top case. But now I really want to build a clear Plexi top for the drive, to show off the internals. I could always dremel out the metal piece, paint it black, then glue it to the underside of the plexi panel.

IMG_20170126_232429020.jpg

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
  • W11Pro

Media Server

• Unraid 6.9.2
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

It's unlikely the thing would run straight from sata to usb adapter, because you can see on the label in the first picture... 5v at up to 1.4a, 12v at up to around 2a ... usb 3 gives you 5v at 0.9a , but usually it's safe to pull up to 2A .. anyway, it's max 5v x 2a = 10w , nowhere near what the writer claims to require.

Wouldn't it be easier to just go ahead and buy an external slim dvd burner? Those have motors and electronics "tweaked" to work on 5v only and they're usually lower speed, so they'll work from usb directly without improvisations and all that mess.

10 hours ago, JohnnyGrey said:

Ever since I migrated to the Corsair Air 240 late last year, I haven't used my BluRay burner. The other night I decided to go out in the garage to my old case and grab it to start ripping some DVDs. This got me thinking, I'd like to use it a little more permanently as an external drive, but the only external enclosure I've found is this Vantec one, and is insanely overpriced. Has anyone come up with a cheap, yet effective solution? Right now I have it hooked up to the internal connectors of my Sabrent 3.5" enclosure temporarily. I was even thinking of having the bare drive on the desk but propped up on some feet attached to the eight mounting holes. I suppose I could always buy some cheap rubber feet at a local store, but I'd like it to look sort of elegant. Any ideas?

-snip-

Just get something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827993013&cm_re=5.25"_enclosure-_-27-993-013-_-Product

5.25" drive enclosure, USB 3.0, external AC power. Everything you need.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 1/27/2017 at 9:38 AM, dalekphalm said:

Just get something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827993013&cm_re=5.25"_enclosure-_-27-993-013-_-Product

5.25" drive enclosure, USB 3.0, external AC power. Everything you need.

I'm not spending $41 on that. That's ridiculous, as I mentioned in my original post.

On 1/26/2017 at 10:59 PM, JohnnyGrey said:

...the only external enclosure I've found is this Vantec one, and is insanely overpriced...

Anyways, this is where I'm at. My solution for hanging the center metal spindle doesn't work. I'll be recutting a new piece of Lexan for the top, and I have a clear piece of plastic originally designed for customizing Xbox 360's on the way from Amazon.

IMG_20170130_025351976.jpg

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
  • W11Pro

Media Server

• Unraid 6.9.2
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

17 hours ago, JohnnyGrey said:

I'm not spending $41 on that. That's ridiculous, as I mentioned in my original post.

Anyways, this is where I'm at. My solution for hanging the center metal spindle doesn't work. I'll be recutting a new piece of Lexan for the top, and I have a clear piece of plastic originally designed for customizing Xbox 360's on the way from Amazon.

IMG_20170130_025351976.jpg

I can't blame you for not liking the price. You could find cheaper enclosures at USB 2.0 speeds, but I wouldn't recommend that in conjunction with a Blu-Ray drive.

So your current solution is to... put a piece of transparent plastic on top of the guts of the Blu-Ray drive? That's cool. But it seems to me that the goals of this project have changed since the creation of the thread.

If all you want to do is have the drive sit outside the case on the cheap, just go to the hardware store and pick up some rubber feet and glue them to the bottom of the drive. At that point, you can do whatever you want with your "transparent internals" build.

In terms of powering it, a simple AC to SATA Power Adapter is all you need. I'm sure you can find these on Amazon for quite cheap.

Though I wonder how much money you'll have spent at the end of your modifications (Buying an ESATA to SATA cable, buying an AC to SATA Power adapter, buying transparent plastic sheeting, etc). It'll probably come in under the $40 of that Vantec Case. But I question how much cheaper it'll be.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

So your current solution is to... put a piece of transparent plastic on top of the guts of the Blu-Ray drive? That's cool. But it seems to me that the goals of this project have changed since the creation of the thread.

There's no need to be snarky. It's not a solution to my original post, it's just a cool idea I had suggested in my second post. It serves no purpose, other than to see the internals, just as a window on the side of a case serves no purpose, other than to see inside. My goal may have changed from the original post, and for that, you are correct.

If I'm gonna have the bare drive sitting on the desk, why not do something different? And with the way I have the piece of Lexan mounted, I don't have to hack up the top.

I was able to pick up some translucent silicone feet, but I had to double stack them, as the two-inch screws going through to the bottom stick out too far. I can either grab my Dremel and shorten the screws, or get some bigger feet, as it looks bad doubled up.

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Though I wonder how much money you'll have spent at the end of your modifications (Buying an ESATA to SATA cable, buying an AC to SATA Power adapter, buying transparent plastic sheeting, etc). It'll probably come in under the $40 of that Vantec Case. But I question how much cheaper it'll be.

The sheets of Lexan were just under $4 each, and they are 8"x10" pieces. I believe they are .093" thick, but don't quote me on that. I bought two just in case. I may have spent about 8$ on some baggies of machine screws and washers. I might have an AC to Molex adapter in my storage unit in my pile of miscellaneous cables, and I might have a molex to SATA adapter in there as well from a retail drive many years ago. The only thing I might not have is a SATA to eSATA, but those can be had for cheap.

I may want to find some rubber edge trim or something, as dust getting in the drive may be a concern.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
  • W11Pro

Media Server

• Unraid 6.9.2
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

6 hours ago, JohnnyGrey said:

There's no need to be snarky. It's not a solution to my original post, it's just a cool idea I had suggested in my second post. It serves no purpose, other than to see the internals, just as a window on the side of a case serves no purpose, other than to see inside. My goal may have changed from the original post, and for that, you are correct.

If I'm gonna have the bare drive sitting on the desk, why not do something different? And with the way I have the piece of Lexan mounted, I don't have to hack up the top.

I was able to pick up some translucent silicone feet, but I had to double stack them, as the two-inch screws going through to the bottom stick out too far. I can either grab my Dremel and shorten the screws, or get some bigger feet, as it looks bad doubled up.

The sheets of Lexan were just under $4 each, and they are 8"x10" pieces. I believe they are .093" thick, but don't quote me on that. I bought two just in case. I may have spent about 8$ on some baggies of machine screws and washers. I might have an AC to Molex adapter in my storage unit in my pile of miscellaneous cables, and I might have a molex to SATA adapter in there as well from a retail drive many years ago. The only thing I might not have is a SATA to eSATA, but those can be had for cheap.

I may want to find some rubber edge trim or something, as dust getting in the drive may be a concern.

Interesting ideas. Well it seems like you've turned this into a fairly interesting DIY build. Please post pictures as you get everything assembled.

14 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Interesting ideas. Well it seems like you've turned this into a fairly interesting DIY build. Please post pictures as you get everything assembled.

Appreciate it. I didn't intend on sounding harsh with the post you quoted. You were right, the project changed completely. I have edited the thread title to reflect this.

The following picture is the reason I hold on to random crap! I decided to drive on over to my storage unit and check out stuff. Turns out I was able to find an AC to Molex power supply, a molex to SATA adapter, a thinner more flexible eSATA cable, as well as an eSATA to SATA adapter! (Thin eSATA not pictured)

GKFyPwOm.jpg

Here's where I'm at. The additional plastic piece was hacked up from a mod part for an Xbox 360. It's a part of the ghost case kit for the 360. This is a work in progress still. I plan on getting some edge trim, or possibly some small silicone/rubber tubing, split, to cover the upper edges of plastic, under the Lexan. I also plan on recutting a piece of Lexan to proper size, as well as Dremeling off the ends of the machine screws on the bottom. I'm getting there!

jM4utOWm.jpg

sC8MHqym.jpg

bY6cIBRm.jpg

fnkUv0Cm.jpg

qMmwxrEm.jpg

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
  • W11Pro

Media Server

• Unraid 6.9.2
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti